Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tadon99 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2008, 10:07 AM
    Credit card can make a lawsiut to take a house
    Hi,

I owned credit card money . Now I can not make a payment for them
    If I stop to pay them So credit card can make a lawsiut to take my house ? THX
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2008, 10:23 AM

No, they cannot "take" your house. They can file for a judgment, which is basically the judge saying that yes, you do, in fact, owe the money they claim that you owe.

Once they have that judgment, they can return to court to be granted one of the three following options (could be less than these three, depending on what state you live it):

1. Wage Garnishment (most common): - if granted, they can take up to 25% of your monthly gross income

2. Bank Levy (probably least common): - if granted, they can seize any monies you may have in your bank account, assuming they know where your bank account is.

3. Property Lien (what you are referring to): - if granted, they can put a lien on your property (houses, property, car, etc.). What that means is that IF you to to ever SELL the house, then you would pay off any money you owe to your mortgage first, then pay off any taxes owed on the house, THEN, if there is any money left, you would have to pay off the lien before keeping the remainder of the money.

But they cannot force you to sell the house or take it away from you.

Your typical credit cards are UNSECURED debts... which means they are not secured by any assets. They can take money from you to pay off what is owed but they cannot seize any real property.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a credit card company put a lien on your house [ 2 Answers ]

My husband has a lot of credit card debt can a credit card company put a lien on the house

Credit card putting a lean on my house? [ 2 Answers ]

I am a victim of credit card fraud. The credit card co. that the has the fraud on it is trying to put a lean on my house. Can they do that? When the person that used the card is being prosecuted?

Will a judge make me pay an old credit card debt? [ 7 Answers ]

I had a credit card between 8 and 10 years ago. The credit limit was $1000.00 dollars. I probably maxed it. Now I get a bill for $3500.00 dollars and I am headed to court this month. My financial situation has changed in the last 8 years and I cannot afford to pay more than $25.00 dollars a...

Credit Card companies seizing a house [ 5 Answers ]

My friend and I were arguing as to whether c.c comps can seize your home for unpaid debts. Even if your house is worth more than the debt. My friend used an example of a home worth $300,000 and a cc debt of $4000. I think that because your mortgage is a secured loan by the bank the cc comp wouldn't...

Can credit card companies put a lien on my house? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi everyone! I live in Broward county, Florida, I defaulted in three unsecured business loans and two unsecured business credit cards all are guaranteed personally by me, now that the business has failed and the S corporation is dissolved, can these creditors go after me and put a lien on my...

View more questions Search