Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    XxkissesxXX Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2008, 11:24 PM
    Introduceing cat to puppy?
    I have six adult cats and I'm looking to get a puppy but I don't want to scare my cats too bad and because some of them are older I don't want the puppy to think that their toys an possibly hurt them I was wondering if there's any way I can start to get my cats used to a puppy without just pushing one in the house?
    homebirthmom Posts: 160, Reputation: 15

Nov 11, 2008, 12:15 AM

My suggestion to start with, is bring the puppy into the house in an animal crate, one of the plastic ones with the metal door, not the cardboard ones. Let the cats get used to the puppys smell without letting them endanger one another. Many cats aren't as offended by dogs as what others are. As for the puppy hurting the cats, I wouldn't worry too much about that unless your cats are declawed. If they aren't then, they will let the puppy know when it's time to back away. Keep plenty of antiseptic on hand during the transition period, because cats' claws are full of infectious bacteria. There will probably be some scratches, and yelps, and some hurt feelings, mainly among the cats' on that one, but in the end, it will probably turn out all right.
    Also, when you bring the puppy in, bring your cat's some treats, to show them that although you are bringing another animal into your house, they can still have the attention that they need, and you love them no less. This might also help them to divert their attention from the puppy to the "treat".
    kraussnumber2 Posts: 105, Reputation: 10

Nov 11, 2008, 02:25 AM

We actually just did this a few months ago. The pet store and the vet suggested having the animals meet for the first time outside of the house if possible so that they meet in a nuetral zone instead of the puppy invading their territory. We did this in the bed of our pickup truck. Our cat was pretty unhappy at first. He wouldn't go near the puppy even though the puppy was like half his size (it is a little yorkie and we have a huge cat lol) Our cat hid for a few days but now they are good friends and play, cuddle, and sleep together all the time. One more suggestion is to make sure that there are some places around the house that the cats can get to that the dog can't. Like somewhere up off the ground high enough that the puppy can't really get to them. Our cat likes the back of the couch and the computer desk. That way he has a "safe" zone when he has enough of the dog.
    Ps... while I agree with the other poster, our cat is declawed and can still "defend" himself against the dog so if your cats are already declawed don't worry about that too much. Good luck
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2008, 10:20 PM

The cat will know that the pup is a baby. Cats are usually quite patient about youngsters, as long as they know there is a safe place to retreat to. Yes, a declawed cat can slap really hard, hard enough to get the puppy to back off.
    homebirthmom Posts: 160, Reputation: 15

Nov 13, 2008, 01:08 PM

Though most cats will be aware, and more pleasant because of the puppy being a "baby", I had a cat that would beat the stuffin's out of anything, puppy or not. With the cat I had, I wouldn't dare bring a puppy in, but most cat's are more accepting than what he was. At any rate good luck.
    kraussnumber2 Posts: 105, Reputation: 10

Nov 13, 2008, 02:23 PM

My cat does "beat" up our dog at times too. But I don't think that it is fighting so much in their case... I think it is more so wrestling. I only intervene if one of them cries... But I have seen my cat B@#$H slap our dog a couple times! Lol
    But most of the time they get along... it is like having two kids... they are going to fight from time to time and it might even get physical but mostly to get along.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Puppy trying to go back home? Puppy Attatchment? [ 8 Answers ]

http://bp2.blogger.com/_FAAhWpUtQZk/RuRyYXJT6-I/AAAAAAAAABE/oFHBuJrtsyU/s1600-h/buddahs.jpg Photo can also be seen at buddahs.jpg (image) Above a photo of Johnny Cash (jack russell mix). Someone gave me this dog mid August when she was 2 months old. I had her from mid August till the end of...

When can I get another puppy after my puppy died of parvo? [ 19 Answers ]

My husband and I recently bought a puppy. 5 days later she was very sick and after taking her to the vet hospital we found out she had parvo. We did everything possible to help her get better but after 5 days of 24 hour treatment we had to put her to sleep. We've now learned that she contacted the...

Puppy pining after death of puppy sister [ 1 Answers ]

In November I adopted two no determined breed puppies who were about 9 weeks old. Although they did not look alike, my feeling was they were siblings. WE have had several power outages in our area and despite having two gates barring my property the puppies were able to get out and sadly the...

Puppy alone in crate or left with another puppy? [ 1 Answers ]

I just got a puppy from a neighbor who moved. He is a 2mth Caring Terrier/Chichuaua mix. My other neighbor took his brother. My neighbor doesn't want her puppy to be alone during the day and wants him to stay in the crate with mine while we are at work. I don't think this is a good idea because he...

When is a puppy not a puppy anymore? [ 3 Answers ]

Our Lhasa is now 10 months old. As a puppy we have had food available pretty much at all times, but maybe he's getting past that now, and for his weight should maybe only be fed about a cup to a cup and a half of his dog meal a day. We have been using Wysong, by the way, and it seems to have a...

View more questions Search