Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smarteee2009 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2008, 08:48 PM
    Installing a hot water heater
    I'm shopping for a hot water heater, and was just wondering if there's anything special I should be looking for--(efficiency,price,brandname), and if gas or electric is better, or more efficient. Also just wondering if there are any surprises in installing, or if it goes right in. It looks simple to me, but I have never done it-(it's a gas unit currently). Thanks I appreciate your time.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 10, 2008, 09:16 PM

All depends on where you live. Some places gas is cheaper, some places electric is cheaper. Change outs of water heaters are never as easy as they look, unless your water heater is less than one or two years old, there will most likely be a height difference. May require soldering. I could recommend a certain brand, but the truth is ,they are all about the same. I would look at warranty, and purchase price. Switching from gas to electric will requires capping off existing gas, capping off existiing vent, and having proper electrical run to electric water heater. Will most likely require an electrician to make sure you have space in your breaker box to properly power the water heater with 240v. There are definitely a few things to consider. Hope my input helps. Please let me know what you come up with.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2008, 09:59 PM

Check space.

Gas hookups can be quite tricky. There is no standard size. So be prepared for water, gas and vent changes. Code determines whether you can use flex gas lines.

If the water heater is power vented, then it may have to be replaced by another power vented one.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 10, 2008, 10:15 PM

If you have gas set up now, I would advise to stick with gas w/h.

Usually, plumbing supply houses that cater to professionals carry better made heaters than Big Box Stores (... like: AO Smith, Bradford White, Rheem / Ruud... ) I would buy R-16 insulated, rapid recovery w/h. Buy extra Thermal Blanket that will add few Thermal Points to your insulation. If you buy from Home Depot or Lowe's than get the one with longest warranty. Sears/Kenmore are not bad water heaters.

As far as cost of running gas heater goes: in my area, gas is lot cheaper than electricity.

Installation should be easy if you swapping one unit for another one. I recommend that you replace both hot 'n' cold water supply lines. Use copper corrugated flexible lines. Don't use s.s. braided ones: they only look good but hot water side will kink easily. Replace gas supply if you don't have gas flex already and new T&P valve. If heater stands inside garage or shop, put it on 18" pedestal ( you buy pre-made steel pedestal at the same supply house ). I would highly recommend to install 2 w/h straps - no matter whether you live in area with seismic activity or not.

And you are all set to enjoy you new heater for many years...
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 17, 2008, 04:46 PM

Smart, I think you accidentilly gave kiss a disagree, please repost an agree, if you truly liked his input. It was good advice.

By the way, what have you decided? Interested to know how it all works out.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2008, 05:27 PM

I would go with Milo advice to stick with the gas water heater, the reason why I have a 50 gal. Gas water heater and my next door neighbor have the same 50 gal. Electric Heater we are four in the family and they 3 his monthly bill is almost double than mine, good luck.

John
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2008, 05:33 PM

Mygirlsdad:

You can't change reputations. Blame I on the software.
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 17, 2008, 05:54 PM

I agree kiss. But if some one is looking at your profile, and they see a red, and then see that the person also gave you a green(on the same answer), they will be more likely to take your advice. I understand it really doesn't amount too much, but makes a guy feel better to get an agree, than a disagree.

I haven't been here long, but I definitely see some need of upgrade of the software. Great site. But I'm betting it could be better.
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2008, 06:17 PM

You can ask for a "balance" from one of the mods or do it yourself like you did. Thanks.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 17, 2008, 06:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mygirlsdad77 View Post
    i agree kiss. but if some one is looking at your profile, and they see a red, and then see that the person also gave you a green(on the same answer), they will be more likely to take your advice. I understand it really doesnt amount to much, but makes a guy feel better to get an agree, than a disagree.

I havent been here long, but i definately see some need of upgrade of the software. Great site. But im betting it could be better.

I think the ".... you have to have spread some reputation first ..." is a safe game some of the moderators on this site play to protect themselves from receiving negative feedbacks.

It is sad that this BS politics have reached such a wonderful Help website like this one without a doubt is. There is absolutely no reason why somebody could not leave feedback, any feedback, to anybody's answer, at any time, and as many times as conversation generates...

If you have to protect your answers with blocking the feedback line - then, perhaps, you should not be answering poster's questions at all.
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 17, 2008, 07:20 PM

I wish I could control who leaves me positive or negative feedback, I want to hear everyone's thoughts about my advice. Why is it that I can't find how to accept comments.

Obama, can you fix this problem please.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 17, 2008, 07:34 PM
    Milo...

This is wrong here... "I think the ".... you have to have spread some reputation first ..." is a safe game some of the moderators on this site play to protect themselves from receiving negative feedbacks."

This has nothing to do with moderators or anyone else.. it is to do with the site program.

Speedball gets as many negatives as anyone else here... mostly mistaken... ;)

And be clear here that I think we would all like to get rid of mistaken negatives... MAY BE that that can be fixed..someday...;)

Just FYI guys...

And Smartee... recovery rate for electric VS natural gas is not even close. Stick with natural gas as Milo suggested. You would not be happy with an electric water heater.

Good night all...

MARK

PS... water heater insulation blanket will not add much "thermal points" to your total... but insulating the first 10 feet of hot water pipe out of the heater will! Further, including a HEAT TRAP will also help here (check installation instructions and see what I mean)... just rare to see!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need help deciding between a tank or tankless water heater [ 19 Answers ]

Which one saves me money; the tankless water heater or conventional tank water heater? :confused:

Reduced water pressure after installing new water heater [ 8 Answers ]

Quick history: 1. House is about 85 yrs old, two kitchens, two baths, and a laundry room sink near the water heater. Visible water main into the house is copper, however, after the water filter unit (with no filter element) is another foot of copper connected to galvanized piping. 2. Last...

Installing water heater expansion tank [ 3 Answers ]

I'm on a water well system & a check value is installed between the well pressure tank and the Hot water heater. I think the check value is limiting the expansion of hot water & causing the T&P value on the hot water heater to open periododicly. Will installing a small hot...

Connecting a tankless water heater and separate hot water heater [ 6 Answers ]

What I have is this. An oil fired boiler that generates hot water for my house baseboard heating system. Contained within the boiler is a tankless heater that is heated by way of the firebox in the boiler. The tankless heater is used only for domestic hot water. It has a separate CW supply to the...

View more questions Search