Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smulokwa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2006, 01:00 PM
    Thermostat install and wire fell off
    I attempted to install a programmable thermostat today. I got the old one off and the red wire that was supposed to be RH (mine had a #4) fell off. Before I messed with it it looked like the RC and RH were connected somehow. So I installed the system as if it were a 4 wire system leaving the factory jumpers on (short red wire that connects the RH to the RC on the thermostat board). I ran the heat and it came on, then I ran the air and left it on. Well, I was sitting at my computer and all the power to the house 'blinks' and everything shuts off, but comes back on. I checked the breaker box and everything was still on as well. I'm a little scared at the trouble I've caused... there was one wire left over, a blue one, but it wasn't connected to anything when I started. Do I need to cut the sheath back on the bundle to make sure there isn't another red wire I missed?? This house was built in 1986... and I *think* it is a 24v system.. not sure though...
    shunned Posts: 268, Reputation: 20

Jun 17, 2006, 02:09 PM
    Most likely it IS a 24V transformer running your stat so I would not be worried that you may have done something to cause a spike in your electric service. With this heat some electric companies do experience some power fluctuations..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3 Wire Thermostat Install? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi All, I'm trying to replace my old mercury thermostat (from 1979 it seems) with a new 4+1+1 thermostat. I took off the old 'stat and I had 3 wires connected to it brown, green(maybe grey), and black. The brown and green wires were connected to the same terminal while the black one was...

6 wire AC/Heater to 5 Wire thermostat [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Coleman BRCS0301BB AC and a gas based heting unit. I see 6 wires coming up to the thermosat - Red Blue White Yellow Green Brown

Install new ground wire for non-grounded receptacles [ 5 Answers ]

I am planning on running grounds to my upstairs plugs that are currently K&T with the two hole groundless plugs. Question is, can I run several of the grounds into a centrally located j-box and then just run one larger ground back to the panel? I can't imagine running a separate wire for...

Wiring a 2 wire thermostat to a 4 wire system [ 1 Answers ]

I have a gas furnace equipped with central air.The compressor is shot in the AC unit,and I needed to replace the thermostat so I bought a heating only thermostat.I have the blower and the w wires together on the w terminal designation and the rh on the r terminal designation, and I have the y wire...

2-wire thermostat replacement [ 1 Answers ]

I am replacing an old honeywell thermostat (2-wire) with awhite-rodgers programmable thermostat. The old thermostat wires are not marked on the thermostat and they are blue and white. The conections at the furnace (anthes) are blue TH and White TR. The new thermostat has rh rc (jumped together)...

View more questions Search