Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Idrees Posts: 52, Reputation: 3

Nov 7, 2008, 05:06 AM
    If there are more fields in a table will it take more time to get search results
    Hi.

I want to make a database which'll have many tables. One of the table is USER. So I want to search username in User table. My question is if there are 3 fields in this table will it take less time to get search result of username as compared to if I've 30 fields in this table. Or you can say if there are less number of fields in a table then will it take less time to search any field from thousands of records. If this is so then is it a good idea to shif some of the fields of User table in any other table?:confused:
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Nov 7, 2008, 07:42 AM

If UserName is a specific field, it won't matter how many other fields there are, they're not being searched. The search will operate as quickly as ever if you restrict the search to the single field UserName.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 7, 2008, 07:46 AM

A lot depends on how you do your searches and how your database is designed.

Generally fields that will be searched are indexed. Indexed fields will search faster that non indexed fields, regardless of the number of fields in the table.

But keeping the number of fields down is a principle of relational database design. I suggest you read up on normalization.
    Idrees Posts: 52, Reputation: 3

Nov 10, 2008, 01:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    A lot depends on how you do your searches and how your database is designed.

Generally fields that will be searched are indexed. Indexed fields will search faster that non indexed fields, regardless of the number of fields in the table.

But keeping the number of fields down is a principle of relational database design. I suggest you read up on normalization.
    But my question is that if there are 3 tables in a database and I've to search from the 1st table then if either size of the 1st table is big or small, will it change speed of search if the 1st table is small as compared to being big.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 10, 2008, 06:32 AM

We answered that, The number of fields doesn't affect searches unless you are trying to do a full text search throughout the table. Otherwise searching is restricited to the field being requested in the search,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cascading list box lookup fields in the table design not on a form [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to make a set of cascading list box lookup fields. If I were going to do it on a form it would be easier, I could VBA to do it. But I'm trying to do it in the table design, and not having much luck I would think it could be done via rowsource in the lookup section for a listbox field...

Getting meta tags taken off/google search results [ 5 Answers ]

I used the same basic username for quite a few things "nickfromstrood" and I posted a rather angsty post about my ex a long time ago... Now when anyone puts "nickfromstrood" in to Google that discussion comes up. This is a little embarrassing.. Is there anyway this can be taken off Google search...

Windows XP Search Results page [ 1 Answers ]

If I'm not mistaken, after doing a search: If I open one of the files, then I cannot go back to the search results page... is that right? I'm doing a search right now that's going on 20 minutes... and want to check out several of the results - but don't want to have to do the search again if the...

Google or Yahoo "search results archive"? [ 3 Answers ]

I know it's a long shot, but I'm wondering: I am curious to know how many search results for a particular term there were in Google or Yahoo for a date in the past. In case that does not make sense, an example: Today there are about 401,000 Google results for the term "fried worms". I...

Google Search Results Error [ 9 Answers ]

I ran a search for "gerry mangar" to see if a quick answer popped up for this thread, and Google returned "about 134" results, NONE of which have that exact term. It seems like starting within the past couple weeks my Google results have seemed odd. Could be something I've just never...

View more questions Search