Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wisekan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2008, 09:40 AM
    Add a person to my deed
    My husband is on my loan, how to add him back to my deed, as we separated and he signed quit claim deed
    wisekan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2008, 09:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by wisekan View Post
    my husband is on my loan, how to add him back to my deed, as we separated and he signed quit claim deed
    we have a loan on this house and we are now back together. He needs to be added back to protect his interest in house.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 6, 2008, 09:54 AM

Just sign a quit claim deed deeding it back to him and yourself as joint tenants.

There is a sticky at the top of this forum that deals with this.
    John WA Posts: 27, Reputation: 2

Nov 6, 2008, 09:55 AM
    The only way to add anyone to a deed is to give a new deed to that person for the undivided interest being therein conveyed.

I'd ask an escrow co or lawyer in the area what it's/his/her cost would be to do this and then have that entity do it so it's done right.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Nov 6, 2008, 10:30 AM
    At the top of the Real Estate Law forum there is a sticky post that explains how to add someone to your deed. You can see it at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/real-e...eed-91136.html
    andreais9 Posts: 3, Reputation: 0

Nov 7, 2008, 09:52 AM
    You can go to any book store that has legal documents or to a title co. You will need a Quit Claim Deed and a Joint Tenancy Deed.
    You will use the Quit Claim Deed to Quit Claim your title to a secondary party (like a sister or best friend) then you have them sign it right back over on the Joint Tenancy Deed with you and your husband as Frank Smith and Joy Smith, husband and wife (use your real names) Also when you do the Quit Clain Deed you will do the same thing however you hold title now is how you will deed it over to a single party such as Joy Smith, an unmarried woman, then Joy Smith, an unmarried woman will deed it back on the Joint Tenancy deed to you and your husband as husband wife It sounds hard but it really isn't

Your best bet is to go to a title co. they will help you, I worked at one 10 years ago so things might have changed.

Nov 7, 2008, 10:02 AM

Comments on this post
    andreais9 disagrees: close to accurate

Excuse me but my response was 100% accurate. I don't know where you got your info, but there is no reason to have an interim step. The owner can deed the property to herself and her spouse.
    andreais9 Posts: 3, Reputation: 0

Nov 7, 2008, 10:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Comments on this post
    andreais9 disagrees: close to accurate

Excuse me but my response was 100% accurate. I don't know where you got your info, but there is no reason to have an interim step. The owner can deed the property to herself and her spouse.
    My info came from my experience working for title co for 10 years and we did the interim all the time, but like I said it has been a while and procedures may have changed. I didn't mean to upset you in anyway.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Nov 7, 2008, 10:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by andreais9 View Post
    You can go to any book store that has legal documents or to a title co. You will need a Quit Claim Deed and a Joint Tenancy Deed.
    You will use the Quit Claim Deed to Quit Claim your title to a secondary party (like a sister or best friend) then you have them sign it right back over on the Joint Tenancy Deed with you and your husband as Frank Smith and Joy Smith, husband and wife (use your real names) Also when you do the Quit Clain Deed you will do the same thing however you hold title now is how you will deed it over to a single pary such as Joy Smith, an unmarried woman, then Joy Smith, an unmarried woman will deed it back on the Joint Tenancy deed to you and your husband as husband wife It sounds hard but it really isn't

Your best bet is to go to a title co. they will help you, I worked at one 10 years ago so things might have changed.
    It is unnecessary to prepare two deeds and the method you proposed is incorrect. She did not say she was divorced so she cannot sign a deed as an unmarried woman. All she has to do is prepare a new deed from herself to herself and her husband.

Nov 7, 2008, 11:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by andreais9 View Post
    My info came from my expierence working for title co for 10 years and we did the interim all the time, but like I said it has been a while and procedures may have changed. I didn't mean to upset you in anyway.
    The only upset is in that you were giving incorrect information. Unless you are absolutely sure that someone else is incorrect using the comment feature or even just correctling them, is not being helpful to the person asking the question. In this case, you were going against several others saying the same thing.

That being said, I have been involved, off and on, with real estate transactions over 20 years. I've never, heard of the necessity of doing an interim deed unless it was to hide the transaction in some way. I'm not doubting that the company you worked for used this method, but there was not justification that I know of to do so. One of the pruposes of a deed is to convey property from one person or persons to another person or persons. There may be an overlap in the two as in this case. But there is no legal necessity, to first transfer the property to someone else and then to the ultimate owner.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Artificial person vs. Natural person? [ 9 Answers ]

How would the court deal with a natural person vs, artificial person? By definition a artificial person is a corporation (strawman) which the court would have jurisdication. How does the court deal with a natural person, a human being? How does the court obtain jurisdication over a human being? ...

Adding another person to home deed in Tenneessee [ 2 Answers ]

As a Tennessee resident, what is required to add my son to my residence deed?

Other law--Any time a person asks this of another person, it must be respected. If I [ 1 Answers ]

Any time a person asks this of another person, it must be respected. If it is not, legal action can be taken against the person who is contacting someone who doesn't want to be contacted. I that true?? Panda1969

Adding a person to a Deed [ 1 Answers ]

If there are several people on a real estate deed and 3 of them are deceased, is it still possible to add someone else to the deed?

View more questions Search