Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    UpstateNY Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2008, 01:02 PM
    How much overlap is needed for an eave extension?
    We just replaced our roof from comp to steel, and also replaced the sheathing. We have extended the eave about 3 feet, so that now the roof covers the entire staircase. (It had been dripping onto the center of the stairs). Our contractor only reinforced the eave about 4 feet when tying in the rafter extensions. Is this enough? Our friend says there should be more like 9 feet of reinforcement...

Immensely appreciated :)
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Nov 4, 2008, 03:03 PM

I'd tend to agree with your friend without any further info. Did your contractor pull a permit for this job? What the framing approved by the building department. What does your structural engineer have to say aout this?
    WWPierre Posts: 78, Reputation: 4

Nov 8, 2008, 02:55 PM

Double the cantilever is generally a good rule of thumb, an extension of 3 feet would require 9' sister rafters, tho' 8" would probably be enough. It is the weight of wet snow out there on the edge that you need to design for. That being said, is there a way you can provide support by extending the vertical supports on the outside of the stairs?
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Nov 9, 2008, 11:50 AM

I've always been told that the maximum width for an unsupported cantilever is 2 feet. They would need some type of porch roof columns like WWPierre said.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Closed eave system [ 10 Answers ]

:confused: We have purchased and had erected 2 buildings form miracle truss. One of them will be used as a residence and will need to go through the inspections. On the permit paperwork, roof vents are mentioned. In speaking with my salesman, he had said that the buildings are designed with a...

Worm/Flea control - overlap of treatments? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Our puppy (cavoodle - 12 weeks old) is due for her flea control treatment soon, but is not due for her worm control in another 2 months. I would like to start using a 3 in 1 product - out of convenience. Is it OK if I started feeding her a 3 in 1 product such as Sentinel Spectrum now?...

ARGH! How do I patch a 2'x2.5' hole in an eave? [ 5 Answers ]

I have *no* clue how this hole appeared in the eave of my Mom's house and neither does she. However our friendly City Code Enforcement was polite enough to point it out and gave her two weeks to fix it (i.e. I get to fix it) I have never owned a home let alone been on the roof of one. She can't...

View more questions Search