Ask
    workerman609 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2008, 10:38 AM
    How to price painting jobs
    How do I price a painting job?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Nov 4, 2008, 02:44 PM

Figure out how long it will take you to do the job. Add 50% to that time estimate. Decide how much you think you should be paid per hour. Cost out the supplies and material you will need. Then ask yourself "Will the local market pay that amount, will it pay more". Make your offer.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2008, 05:11 AM

Hi, workerman609!

The first question that I have is how much experience do you already have painting for others in order to make a profit for yourself, please? It would be helpful to know that.

There are potentially many, many variables involved when pricing paint jobs. As such, it would be helpful to have more specific details as to what kind of paint job this is concerning.

Inside or outside job, wooden or other type of surface area, unfinished or already painted area, textured area or not, faux or just regular painting, wallpaper removal or not, holes patched and other preparations to be made in order to complete the job, methods of applying the paint, number of coats to be applied, priming to be done or not, location where the painting is to be done and considering prices that are competitive and in line with prices in a specific geographic location, how good the customer wants the job to look, etc. etc...

Most professional painters charge by the square foot for large, horizontal or vertical surface areas that they will paint by using rollers or spraying, and by the linear foot when painting trim or other areas where they will be using a brush rather than rolling or applying the paint by using a spray applicator.

Thanks!
    Leeboy Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

Nov 11, 2008, 04:08 PM

What exactly are you painting?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pricing painting jobs by sq ft ?can someone explain this [ 9 Answers ]

I was trying to figure out pricing by the sq ft for painting some one told me to Do this but I don't understand it and by doing this how much would I be charging By the sq ft they said to times the sq ft by 3.5 and that by .40 and that would be the price If anyone understands this please...

How to bid on painting jobs [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am new here, and would like some information on how to bid on a painting job, as well as how to acquire job leads. If you would like you can e-mail me @ [email protected]. Thank you for your time.

How to correctly bid on interior and exterior house painting jobs [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I am looking for help on how to correctly bid on painting jobs. Maybe a formula that is more accurate then the one I use and don't feel confident with. Thanks for any help,J.C.

Bidding on drywall and painting jobs [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Louisiana and want to start up a small business. I want to know, how much is the going rate a square foot to bid a house. How much a square foot for painting and finishing drywall?

Increase Contacts for Jobs, for my Painting Company [ 2 Answers ]

Looking for an increase contacts for all types of painting jobs, for my company. Very Experienced with both commercial & residential, interior & external. What is the best marketing method?

View more questions Search