Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Marj Ann Posts: 17, Reputation: 7

Jun 10, 2006, 08:14 PM
    Are Ionic footbaths legitimate
    OK... So there's one born every minute they say. :( If you have no idea what I'm talking about just type in FOOT BATHS & it will probably take you to numerous sites in various countries that make & sell them. Since I DO have confidence in alternative-non-AMA approved sources, a nurse lady friend & I decided we would share theexpense and use of one from a company that made a brand-type my friend had gratis treatments with. Allegedly according to the advertised principles, toxins are drawn from ones' body through ones' feet; allegedly discoloring the water during the treatment... and allegedly the color of the water for the most part would corrolate with the organ toxins were [allegedly] drawn from. ~ Trouble is, I later found, doing a 'dry-run-without-feet' test, the water also discolored much the same. OK... Since this IS a pricey piece of equipment, for one thing, and since I would NOT choose to be wasting my time just having a nice foot-soak... I would like to be able to find something of a scientific nature which can help prove or DISprove whether this is high priced hocus-pocus. :confused: Any thoughts?
    wynelle Posts: 184, Reputation: 21

Jul 15, 2006, 05:30 PM
    I tend to have doubts on this type of thing. First, I don't know of any "organ toxins" which are specificly removed through the feet. Feet sweat, and sweat sometimes contain waste products, but I don't see how bubbling around the feet would cause any other organ to start shedding toxins. I don't think I would spend money on this.
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Jul 16, 2006, 07:22 PM
    I too would tend to look upon this with great skepticism. I agree with Wynelle, that little is likely to occur beyond what is natutrally released through sweat. According to the theory of Reflexology, any organ in the body can be stimulated by applying pressure to a specific part of the foot. As well, Tibetan Buddhist teachings dictate that a person who leaves their body through the soles of the feet will be reborn in a Hell realm. And though, I agree, aching feet and poor health can be hell... as for release of toxins? I would save your money beyond anything fancier than simple sea or epsom salts. :)

Jul 16, 2006, 08:13 PM
    Thanks Thomas and Wynelle.. [hope I spelled that right] Gee... Thomas I hadn't known or heard what you wrote about.. soul going to hell that leaves the body [astro-projection, I would imagine?? ] through the feet... WHOA! Anyway, thanks to you both... Trouble is... based on 'treatments my nurse friend had had... she & I decided to share the cost and share the product... which is PRICEY! Only afterwards, did I get 'second opinions... from others due to another relative's research since she was skeptical... Needless to say, our money has been SPENT... AND I've had NO success getting any sort of concrete evidence by way of varifyable tests that the units DO perform as described. Now I DID put the entire charge on MY credit card... which would SEEM to help... 'cept for the fact I paid and acquired the unit from a 'middle-man-company' NOT THE manufacturer. I've had LOTS of non-event-not helpful 'communications' back & forth with the sales company & they KNOW I'm NOT HAPPY and have REPEATEDLY ASKED FOR verifiable evidence that the product DOES in fact perform 'as described'... I guess I'm just CONFUSED... or 'wimpy'?? Gee... I DO know "if it's a good idea... it'll STILL be a good idea TOMORROW"... I'm thoroughly embarrassed with myself! :o

Jul 16, 2006, 09:42 PM
    Hi Marj Ann,
    Just my quirky attempt at a little light-hearted humor. Though it would be difficult to explain satisfactorily without a fairly lengthy discourse on Buddhist cosmology, psychology and ethics, Buddhists basically believe a person is successively reborn, incarnation after incarnation, until all mental afflictions are purified, therefore attaining enlightenment -- true understanding of reality and the "empty (insubstantial)", impermanent nature of all worldly manifestations, including self. Tibetans believe rebirth can take place in one of six realms or "lokas", of which the human realm is one. Though the primary cause of rebirth in a Hell realm is a life dominated by anger, it is believed that yogic postures sealing certain orifices or energetic points of the body, can be sufficient to prevent certain lesser rebirths upon death, as each of these bodily exits is believed associted with one of the six worldly realms. To give you the short version. :)
    Though this could definitely be likened to astral projection, Buddhists ultimately believe, in a certain sense, that nothing exists concretely outside the projections of the mind.
    You certainly have nothing to be embarrassed about in buying the foot bath. I'm all for anything that works, and I'll try nearly anything once. Though I myself am a massage therapist with a very strong background in biological sciences, having formerly majored in bio-medical technology, and I personally feel there is little supporting evidence for such, either in Western or Eastern sciences. Out of the endless assortment of toxins that could theoretically be found within the human body, the majority are unlikely to have any real affinity or specificity for any particular organ or tissue. Any particular discoloration of the water is likely a chemical reaction between your body's unique pH balance, and specific ingredients purposely added to the bath mixture; similar to as would occur on cotact with litmus paper. Or the way body heat affects the color of a "mood ring", an age old novelty.
    I myself am very skeptical. If you do find it appears to help, I certainly don't see that there is much, if anything, that could harm you. But if you do not feel you are getting acceptable results, I would most certainly insist they take it back. Your credit card company should be willing to act as an intermediary here. Insist that the product was not as advertised, and has failed to live up to its claims. If they are unwilling to help, threaten to switch to another card. Credit cards make a great deal of money off their customers. Certain benefits, rights and advocation should follow accordingly, and buyer protection is always the foremost of their claims. It certainly has nothing to do with being "wimpy" or elsewise. Most companies who sell poorly proven and/or backed items use very unscrupulous and aggressive sales tactics. They probably will try to intimidate you, as you are undoubtedly, likely not the first person to try to return one of these. Don't give up though, the customer is nearly always in the right. You deserve to be satisfied with the product, and you've certainly earned the right to be backed by your credit card company in this issue.
    Good luck. I hope everything works out. Take care. :)

Jul 16, 2006, 11:54 PM
    :o :) Thanks for the short course, Thomas... as well as for the shot-in-the-arm 'confidence to pursue the matter with my credit card. I totally lost confidence in the foot bath's 'legitimacy' after I was NOT in the LEAST successful, satisfied or HELPED by the salesperson or her company I'd bought it from. PLUS I'd been EQUALLY unsuccessful when asking other companies [which sell similar foot-baths with similar detoxifying CLAIMS; some even PRICIER!] what proof they offered as concrete evidence to support THEIR product's 'reliability'. Since my nurse friend had paid half & is still of the opinion the unit DOES detox as described, I just let her have the unit. I'd been pretty much prepared to just consider the financial loss a 'learning experience'. Admittedly, not a PLEASANT ONE... and I HIGHLY resent being CONNED! Oh! Since you mentioned 'additives to the water; use instructions call for using distilled water to which sea salt is added to 2.4; if that piece of information is of any help. [? ] I can't imagine that everyone that promotes & sells these products just BLINDLY accept what they're told as GOSPEL without INSISTING ON some sort of concrete evidence, or at the very LEAST do some 'dry-run-research' of their own in order to be absolutely certain the claims they make to prospective buyers are legitimate! But if they DO KNOW FULL well the claims they make are bogus, and they deceive people intentionally, I seriously wonder how they can 'SLEEP NIGHTS' ~ DELIBERATELY making their livings deceptively. [oops, uh... did I just define our government?? Silly me... LOL ] Thanks again, I thoroughly appreciate your time, interest and insights.

Jul 17, 2006, 09:50 PM
    Hi Marj Ann,
    Sorry you aren't able to get your investment back. Unfortunately, some people just don't care. They rely on the fact that people suffering from poorer health will go to many lengths to ease their discomfort; sometimes relying strongly on the sole claims and advice of others considered honest and assumed to be more knowledgeable. So called "snake oil salesmen" as they were called around the turn of the last century, are as old as time. People will always need health care, and many unscrupulous people see this as nothing more than a continual, sustained opportunity to make a fast buck. But what will happen when they are put in a similar situation of need, as inevitably they will? Believe me, both their consciences and their karma will catch up with them soon enough.
    I am largely at a loss to explain the water's discoloration. I assumed some sort of mineral salts were likely added to the solution. Sea salt, aside from containing sodium chloride, contains potassium and magnesium salts as well. Being more balanced, it is slightly better healthwise from a dietary perspective, and these additional salts are as well what lend to its characteristically slightly different taste. Though I assumed this was the extent of the aforementioned ionic action.
    Out of curiosity, I looked one of these devices up on the web. What I did not know, and I do not know if this applies to yours, is that they employ a low level electrical current as well. My only real concern is in this particular practice.
    Though probably not at serious risk for electrical shock -- I assume it underwent rigorous testing insofar as that -- applying an electrical current to a saline solution is a common method of generating hydrogen gas. The salt is used to increase the conductivity of the water, and the resultant effect in regard to the water itself is known as "electrolytic decomposition." Effectively, the oxygen molecules break off, leaving bivalent hydrogen (H2), an extremely volatile and combustible gas. In an enclosed space, this would be extremely dangerous. Using the footbath in an open space would probably pose minimal risk, but it certainly is food for thought. Though probably not a terribly dangerous device, I agree, there is probably little potential benefit that could not be achieved with the salt and water alone.
    Take care. Be well. :)
    wicopee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2006, 10:47 PM
    After seeing a couple demos of these foot baths at the Oregon State Fair today, I did a little online investigating, and found this explanation of what's really happening chemically with the water in the bath. (scroll down to the bottom of the page for the foot bath explanation) "ionized and alkaline water: snake oil on tap"
    -John
    Optimal Health Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2008, 02:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Marj Ann
    ok... So there's one born every minute they say. :( If you have no idea what I'm talking about just type in FOOT BATHS & it will probably take you to numerous sites in various countries that make & sell them. Since I DO have confidence in alternative-non-AMA approved sources, a nurse lady friend & I decided we would share theexpense and use of one from a company that made a brand-type my friend had gratis treatments with. Allegedly according to the advertised principles, toxins are drawn from ones' body through ones' feet; allegedly discoloring the water during the treatment ... and allegedly the color of the water for the most part would corrolate with the organ toxins were [allegedly] drawn from. ~ Trouble is, I later found, doing a 'dry-run-without-feet' test, the water also discolored much the same. ok... Since this IS a pricey piece of equipment, for one thing, and since I would NOT choose to be wasting my time just having a nice foot-soak... I would like to be able to find something of a scientific nature which can help prove or DISprove whether or not this is high priced hocus-pocus. :confused: Any thoughts?
    I have been very skeptical to these types of equipment, due to the statement made by the distributers and various practitoners. Statements that don't seem to add up scientifically.
    I have to read up on the science - to figure out what it really does.
    But... it does something!

The first time I actually got a headache. My saliva ph changed from 6.2 to 7.2 in two hours.
    I felt very dehydrated.
    After that it has only been good. My energy levels and mental clarity has improved - I am not exaggerating - if I say 25 %. We use the same water, yet the "fall out" varies. I also did the test - to see what happens without my feet and of course the fall out is there. What I think varies more is the foam on top of the water.
    My energy levels are dramatically improved - I have only added this to my regim.

I have no idea how it works exactly - but it does make some positive changes.

I will let you know what I can find that actually can be stated.

Asa
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2008, 05:10 PM
    I never trusted them and a alternative health seminar I went to somebody asked that question and the Dr. said that the little amount they pull out it isn't worth it. That it is okay but not that great.
    From what Optimal health said they must do some good because you will feel drained when you first use something that is working because the toxins are being pulled out.

The foot pads are even worse. I heard they put a chemical in them to make them look dirty after they have been on your feet.
    MAAENERGY8 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2008, 09:27 PM
    Anyone interested in what's right about the highest quality ionic footbaths should call Christian at Bella Ionic Footbath.
    Dragon54 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2008, 04:34 AM
    In case you are still wondering about these, as I was last week, take a look at the attached link. This retired university chemistry professor provides some scientific feedback on the footbaths in questions. "Ionized" and alkaline water: snake oil on tap

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are Ionic footbaths legitimate? [ 2 Answers ]

Allegedly Dr. Royal Rife... back in the '30s worked on; among other types of technology; a method by which toxins are drawn out of the body through the feet or hands. I've been trying to find some scientific evidence to support or refute the claims that the various companies make. There are a...

What is the name for this ionic compounds [ 2 Answers ]

1/sc2o3 2/nabro 3/cu(c2h3o2)2 4/sr(cn)2 5/ca(c2h3o2)2 Thank you mowahib!

View more questions Search