Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2008, 03:00 PM

You should do what you think is the best decision. Not the so called father but you as an individual have to make the decision based on what you think is best and not let anybody make up your mind for you, or influence you.
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Dec 11, 2008, 03:55 PM

I think that you should pray and make your mind up on your own. I was adopted too but my experience was different than TexasParents. I have a beautiful family all of my siblings are adopted and we know that we were chosen. Here's the deal God doesn't make mistakes. So as much as you think you made a mistake and got pregnant this live is intended or not intended to be here and will have you as parents or not have you as parents. Keep this decision to you, not really even allowing yourself to be influenced by his father. If I had listened to my sons father he wouldn't be here. At 18 it will be challenging to do all that you want to do, but what in life that is worth having isn't a little challenging. You'll survive and so will your baby. I can tell you also that adoption is a very tricky thing but something that has advanced since I was adopted. I had a period in my life where I thought I was going to die wondering who my mother was and wanting to thank her for choosing life for me and not getting rid of me in some dark alley. There are open adoptions and you can stay in the babies life. It is your decision what you want to do. You could keep him or her and force you and the father into growing up and stepping up to be who you are intended to be in this life. Pray and it will come to you. You don't have to decide immediately. Allow God, Good Luck. Stay in touch with us and let us know what you decide to do. When your ready reach out to other groups of other mothers that made both choices and see how they have survived with the choices that they have made they may be able to offer avenues of thought that you haven't considered. Answer the questions for yourself. You will be okay.
    frangipanis Posts: 1,027, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2008, 04:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen View Post
    You need someone who can tell you your options ENTIRELY, someone who has no stake in the outcome, someone who is interested in helping YOU make the choice. Believe me--if you dont' work it through yourself, you'll have regrets forever, no matter which choice you make.
    Beautiful comments Synnen, and this is especially true.
    TexasParent Posts: 378, Reputation: 73

Dec 11, 2008, 04:24 PM

You know there is a lot of talk about the babies rights and being their voice when it comes to abortion; who speaks for them, what would they choose.

Well I think it's the same here, what would your baby want; YOU! No matter what their life would be like in terms of material things or lack thereof. They would want to stay with their mother.

I was given up for adoption at birth, that I knew. Later I found out I was in a foster setting for a year until that foster mother took ill and I ended up in another foster home for another 4 months.

When I found this out I cried my eyes out ( I was 32 when I discovered this ) as I had young children of my own and couldn't imagine them being taken from their mother for any reason; it would be a trauma so basic and profound that it would affect them for the rest of their lives, as it has me.

If the baby had a say, they would say "no, don't leave me mama!","I don't want to go with anyone but you!" and I don't care if the baby is just born, days, months or weeks old they if they could talk would say no.

I may not be popular here for not sitting on the fence and saying it's your choice, because it's not; just like abortion, where is the babies choice in all this? I choose to be that someone who is an advocate for your baby; and no baby wants to leave its mother.

You will find the strength, through God if you believe or through the love you have for your child and his/her future as well as your own.

In the instance of my birth mother she gave me up because her father had died the previous year and she had 5 younger siblings (including one who was mentally handicapped) to help her mother take care of. It was too much for her and she did think I would have a better life because she simply couldn't take care of another in her mind. I would have chose to stay given the chance, but she did what she thought was best at the time.

As for your predicament, I'm sorry but I don't have much sympathy because your reason or the fathers reason is because you want to go to college. It sounds very self-serving, do not listen to him; listen to God (if you believe), to your heart, and don't forget to listen to the hopes and desires of your baby to share it's formative years with it's mother.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2008, 09:21 PM

You need to do as the others have said and decide what you feel is best. Once it is adopted you have no say unless maybe you go through one of those open adoptions. Then I am not even sure how much say or involvement they allow
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Dec 12, 2008, 06:38 AM

Open adoption still allows no LEGAL say in the raising of your child.

The level of your involvement is between you and the adoptive parents. Some visit once a week, some never visit and only receive pictures and letters every x months.

As far as the baby having a choice: Sorry, it doesn't. Your kids don't have a choice now on their bedtime, whether they're going to the doctor, or dentist, or school in the morning. There are a LOT of things that parents do in the best interest of their children that their children have NO say in. I refuse to even comment on abortion in this thread.

Regardless, the OP doesn't seem to have been back since October, and I doubt any of our answers are actually helping her at this point.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 12, 2008, 06:43 AM

OH When it first started there was a TV documentary on women who adopted their babies and they had agreements that the adoptive families would allow them to have a say about everything. It tracked their lives and made it out like the biological mother was an extended family member.
    I don't know, maybe it was some pilot program that didn't work out or something.
    Expert

Dec 12, 2008, 06:55 AM

In some cases that's true. But the birthmother has no LEGAL standing. What she gets is at the sufferance of the adoptive family.

Unless you're in CA or MN, once you have that baby you can disappear from the face of the earth and never contact the birthmother again if you desire. There's nothing LEGAL binding an open adoption--it's really on the honor system--except in those 2 states.
    m.dowd Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2011, 04:54 PM
    Love i'm a mum of a little girl age 3 and have a baby on the way and i'm 20 years. It is hard having a baby but i new want i was doing when i open my legs. I single mum of 1 mum and soon to be of to be a single mum of 2. it sounds to me you want this baby so don't do wants right for your bf. You give up your baby and then you go and get the life you want and then you have more kids and you other child comes looking 4 u asking why did'nt you love me but you love your other kid. When that baby born he or she be the best thing that happen to you they mean more then want your bf means and can give you a lot more then want a man can. If you get rid now you would be killing a life and it can stop having kids. At 7 weeks that baby would have a heart. Balls in your hand. You will be a good mum and tell that fake guy to p off if he don't want this baby because he don't want you. i'm only hear to help
    m.dowd Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2011, 04:57 PM
    I meant to say loves to ask you to do that he don't want
    Expert

Nov 26, 2011, 10:43 PM
    Please watch dates when responding. If she were really to get "rid of" the child at this point, she really would be "killing a child", because the child is THREE YEARS OLD.

This thread is closed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Laws for adoption and child support after adoption [ 4 Answers ]

I was wanting to know if any one might know about the laws in Arkansas for adoption. I've tried looking for my answers but I'm not to bright at this. I was wondering that when a child is adopted if child support from the other father stops? And will he still have to pay back child support that he...

Adult Child Given Up for Adoption wants contact with supposed biological father [ 8 Answers ]

Here's the story. My husband may have fathered a daughter before we ever met. He was not named on the birth certificate and the biological mother had relations with other men during the same time frame. The girl was legally adopted by another married couple. She made contact with the birth...

Adoption from biological Father to Step Father [ 5 Answers ]

Hello: One of my employees has children by her now husband and former husband. Her present husband wants to adopt her two children from her former husband. The biological Father is willing to relinquish his rights. She wants to draw up the papers without an Attorney because of the cost. If...

Adoption of a child whose father is deceased [ 2 Answers ]

How does my husband go about adopting my daughter who's father is deceased?

Adoption of Child by my father [ 12 Answers ]

Unfortunately for me, I had a child with a man that turned out to be not what I thought he was. This was 8 years ago, and he has never seen her. I would like to get him to sign away any and all rights to her. My father who is a very respectable person in society and has no criminal history at...

View more questions Search