Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brickydawg Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2008, 08:18 PM
    Stop family from using dead mothers credit cards
    My mother just passed away. She had a wallet full of credit cards. I had a sister that has lived with her for years. What can I do to stop her from maxing out these cards, that she will never pay? They lived in Florida and I live in Virginia, so it's impossible for me to intercept the statements? Thanks for your help.:confused:
    Can't call the banks, as I live in a different state, can't know the names of the banks for the cards... this is my dilemma!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 29, 2008, 08:23 PM

Call the card companies ?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 30, 2008, 05:12 AM
    Hello brick:

Well, if you can't call the banks, you can certainly call the cops. Your sister IS committing a crime. Do you want to see her in jail?

Besides, if there's nothing in the estate, YOU aren't going to lose anything by her behavior. If there is, when it comes time to divide it up, you can make her pay back what she took from the estate. Course, you're going to need a lawyer...

excon
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Oct 30, 2008, 07:53 AM

Yes if you have her death certificate and show that the purchases are made after her death, the credit card companies won't be able to collect. Maybe a security camera will help the police find out who used those cards when.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 30, 2008, 08:02 AM

The first question is whether you want your sister to go to jail. The second question is whether you are expecting anything from your mom's estate. The third question is whether your mom left a will and who is the executor of the estate.

If your sister is using these cards for personal use, then she is committing fraud and she will be caught and possibly prosecuted.

If you are not expecting anything from the estate then why worry about it? But if you are you need to find out who the executor is have that person close all the accounts.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Oct 30, 2008, 12:11 PM

I'm wondering to myself: if the OP knows about the cards, and knows her sister is using them, how can she not know which companies to contact?

Oct 30, 2008, 12:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by this8384 View Post
    I'm wondering to myself: if the OP knows about the cards, and knows her sister is using them, how can she not know which companies to contact?
    I think what the OP is saying, is that he knew his mom had a wallet full of cards, but didn't know specifics. And that he suspects his sister will be using them.

My daughter knows I have a lot of cards, but she wouldn't be able to tell you what they all are or what their numnbers are.
    Ultra Member

Oct 30, 2008, 12:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    I think what the OP is saying, is that he knew his mom had a wallet full of cards, but didn't know specifics. And that he suspects his sister will be using them.

My daughter knows I have a lot of cards, but she wouldn't be able to tell you what they all are or what their numnbers are.
    True. Wouldn't the OP just be able to report to Equifax, Experian and TransUnion that their mother passed away on a particular date and any use after that would be fraud? Or like others have suggested, simply call the police. That's really going to be the only way to stop the sister from using a card that's not hers.

Oct 30, 2008, 12:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by this8384 View Post
    Wouldn't the OP just be able to report to Equifax, Experian and TransUnion that their mother passed away on a particular date and any use after that would be fraud? .
    Only the executor of th estate could do that. The credit bureaus should not take it from just anyone.
    Ultra Member

Oct 30, 2008, 12:47 PM

True again, unless she sent a letter with a certified copy of her mother's death certificate..

Oct 30, 2008, 05:04 PM

I'm not sure they would accept it from an unauthorized person, but its worth a try.
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Oct 31, 2008, 11:26 AM

She definitely needs to know who is the executor because that is who will have those certified copies.
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Oct 31, 2008, 02:26 PM

I'd just really lean towards the criminal aspect of this. If your sister is not an authorized user on the cards she's committing frqud/theft/whatever category it falls under. You can always go back and prove what date your mom died, and the estate would have not liability for any use after that date. It's just basically a "stolen" credit card - the owner of the card just can't report it because they're dead - which is pretty irrefutable.

Now, if your sister is an authorized user... it's a whole other ball of wax that it sounds like your mom set into motion.
    bobloblaw Posts: 41, Reputation: 3

Nov 3, 2008, 01:47 PM

My husbands grandmother just passed away. The death notice goes to banks, so no $$ can be withdrawn, but bills (utility, and CC's I'm assuming) need to be told that the holder is deceased. If you know your months ss#, run a credit report and call the card companies. Worse case, call VISA/ MC / Discover / amex and ask what the procedure is. I hate to say it, but it happens all the time (Death), and I'm sure they're is some sort of procedure.

Nov 3, 2008, 05:03 PM

I've never heard of a death notice gpoing directly to the bank. Notifiyng credtros and asset holders is the function of the executor of the estate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I Being Followed By My Dead Family? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi. i am only 12 so i dont know much about this. but i feel like im being haunted. My grandpa, great grandpa, aunt and cat have all passed away. Even though i didnt even know my great grandpa or my aunt i still feel like their presence is here. like sometimes it is so hot in my house and i get a...

Knowing which credit bureau is being checked when you apply for credit/Credit Cards [ 1 Answers ]

Which credit cards use only the trans union credit report for their cc applications? this knowledge may help me save part of my universe>:D

Family of dead friend [ 3 Answers ]

MY husbands best friend died in dec 2006 and left us some money . How ever we can't get his death record because we don't know where he was born or the names of his parents can someone help us. . :confused: :confused:

When To Stop Using Credit Cards [ 1 Answers ]

I plan to file bankruptcy - just decided to this month... but I last used one of my credit cards in the beginning of Feb... how long before you file should you stop using your credit cards? Please write back asap... for CHAPTER 7... Louisiana. STRUGGLE :( :( :(

View more questions Search