Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adatuborn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2008, 11:46 AM
    One or two spaces after a period?
    I recently heard that for literary works one should use one space between sentences. Is gthis true?
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2008, 11:54 AM

In my English Literature class in college we had to use two spaces after a period. I don't know if this is correct or not because one of my friends in the same class but had a different teacher was told to use one. I guess that doesn't really answer your question. I'm sorry. I thought it was two spaces though.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 28, 2008, 11:56 AM

When monospaced typefaces were the norm, 2 spaces were required after periods. However, with the proliferation of proportionally spaced type faces that you have with modern word processors, that requirement became an anachronism and is no longer used.
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2008, 12:00 PM
    One Space or Two after Periods? (and other typography issues)

It looks like it's just one space
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2008, 12:52 PM

No problem, ScottGem ;)
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2008, 05:02 PM

One space.
    mechisopa1234 Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Nov 3, 2008, 05:31 PM

Well, I'm only 12 years old, but, Iwant to become an author when I am older, so you may not think my answer is accurate, but it is. According to my Mother, there if two spaces ater a period. I hope this helps.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 3, 2008, 07:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mechisopa1234 View Post
    Well, I'm only 12 years old, but, Iwant to become an author when I am older, so you may not think my answer is accurate, but it is. According to my Mother, there if two spaces ater a period. I hope this helps.
    Sorry but your mother needs to catch up to the times. Did you read what I said? Did you read the article Zoe linked to? Two spaces is no longer required.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2008, 08:14 PM

Well, I'm 53 and a half years old and a several times published author and former university editor, and I'm someone's mother too. And it used to be two spaces, just like ScottGem says, but now it's one.

Tell your mother. :) I bet she is right about a lot of other things. She used to be right about this, but times changed.
    lrwilkins Posts: 48, Reputation: 2

Nov 18, 2008, 06:30 PM
    Adatuborn,

It is now one space, except for when you use a certain font like Courier or some Typewriter font like someone else mentioned.

I found a link that may be helpful to you for this and other punctuation questions. It is
    The Period for the answer about the period space and Punctuation Marks for others.

Good Luck with your writing.

LaCresha

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you alphabetize exact names with spaces and without spaces [ 1 Answers ]

What would you put first. Van De Vanter or Vandevanter.

Closed in spaces? [ 6 Answers ]

Is it normal for young boys or children to enjoy being in tight spaces? Like closed boxes, duffel bags, storage totes, etc. My 8 yr old son does this a lot and someone told me it is a sign of autism. Could this be true?

Need help in optimal resource allocation for limited spaces [ 2 Answers ]

Here's the problem. I'm creating a program that can allocate the optimal amount of sound files that can be fit in a limited space, i.e. I have 17 tracks that I have to allocate to a 90-minute cassette. I need to have the optimal allocation that I can do for Side A, in other words, the optimal...

Remove blank spaces [ 3 Answers ]

How cam we remove the blank spaces in a String like " a s k " to make it "ask"

View more questions Search