Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bustosfamily7 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2008, 09:47 AM
    Homeowners association fee
    We bought a house in this subdivision that was going up. We were verbally told by the seller that a home owenrs association would be in place once all the homes were built and that the first year association fee would be mandatory but after that it was optional to be part or not of this association, that it was up to us to keep membership and pay the yearly fee. After that year we were told we are obligated to pay this fee and that association was not an option many of my neighbors had been told the same lie when buying. Now many homeowners feel that the money we pay is not doing much for us and we would like to stop having this fee coming out of our pockets . HELP what can we do about this, Can we vote against this and have this association gone of our wallets? Can an association be stop and have a subdivision free of association obligations and regulations? I seen other ones that are subdivisions but there is no association there.please advice what and how to do this?
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Oct 28, 2008, 09:53 AM
    Did you sign anything when you closed on the house acknowledging the HOA? Did your title search show any recorded documents regarding the HOA? Does your deed contain any language about at HOA?

First you have to read exactly what you signed or what you received as part of your closing paperwork. If there are no recorded documents such as covenants, restrictions, by-laws, etc. about the HOA then you cannot be required to join. If there is a recorded document about the HOA then you have to carefully read it to see what the requirements are and to find out if it's possible to end it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 28, 2008, 10:09 AM

When an HOA is established there has to be by-laws created for it. Those by-laws provide the rules for homeowners in the development.

You had to have signed an agreement to abide by those rules at the closing or before. I guess you didn't read them carefully before signing.

Included in those by-laws will be rules ofr the dissolution of the HOA. But I caution you about this. Very often, when an HOA is established, its because the locality its in is not going to provide certain services. For example garbage collection and street cleaning. So, if you dissolve the HOA, you have to relace those services.

My suggestion to you is to get involved with the HOA. Attend all the meetings, analyze the budget, run for office. You might find that the fees you are paying provide services at reasonable rates. If you dissolve your property taxes amy increase because the locality will now be providing those services.

If you can prove that the seller lied about the terms of the HOA, you might be able to file a suit against him. But frankly, I think you were naïve. I never heard of an HOA that becomes optional. That wouldn't make sense.

HOAs have gotten a bad rep and, in many cases, deservedly so. What frequently happens is a couple of people dominate the board and start acting like petty dictators. Or use the e HOA to line their own pockets. But if the homeowners are active and concerned a well run HOA can be a boon to the development.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Homeowners Association Lien on my property [ 2 Answers ]

I sent the HOA a check in May 2006 for 50% of the annual fees as my house was under contract. I had to leave home to look after my mom for 4+ months. I returned to my Home in November 2006. I applied for a loan in January 2007 to help pay for my mom's Medical expenses, I was told by the lender...

Homeowners Association Fees [ 6 Answers ]

I went to look at an apartment/Condo this weekend. I'm not going to buy it due to the sales people being ridiculously unorganized and I couldn't understand what they were saying, really. When I asked a question, they'd contradict themselves and so on. Anyway, the 1bd was $850 a month and he...

Contractors lien against a homeowners association in wv [ 6 Answers ]

I live in WV and we have a small homeowners association. We had a contract to have the streets paved in the Summer of 2007. The contractor did not start the work as quickly as promised and before the winter months did some minor prep work and patching and then kept putting us off this Spring. Our...

Homeowners association filed a lien [ 1 Answers ]

I want to know the statue of limitations for a homeowners association to collect money from me for alleged non payment of yard maintience fees they filed a lien on my property for non payment.

Homeowners not paying association fees. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello When I moved into my current neighborhood, I was advised that there was a HOA and there were fees for roads and water. The amount was very small and quite frankly I thought it was a bargain. The subdivision has only 12-15 homeowners. At the first meeting, about 1/2 of the homeowners...

View more questions Search