Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Danny boy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2008, 09:12 PM
    Can vent suck all the water from S trap?
    I'm installing a new shower in a cottage bathroom. THere was no previous shower. I plan to use the same vent that I use for the toilet and sink. The shower is around 10 feet from the vent; the toilet and sink are between the shower and vent. Is it possible for the vent to suck all the water out of the S trap of my sink? I want to know if I should be installing a vent closer to my shower, but this could be tricky. Thanks for any help.
    Danny
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 26, 2008, 12:17 AM

Yes, flow of waste water through your drains can siphon water out of your sink trap...
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 26, 2008, 04:50 AM
    I plan to use the same vent that I use for the toilet and sink.
    Here you tell us that both toilet and lavatory are vented and here you say it is n't,
    Is it possible for the vent to suck all the water out of the S trap of my sink?
    If the sink has a "S" trap then it isn't vented so where's this vent you speak of? Something's not adding up here. Regards, Tom

Oct 26, 2008, 09:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo Dolezal View Post
    Yes, flow of waste water through your drains can siphon water out of your sink trap ....
    Will it happen in this case? I have the toilet with the main stack behind it. Then I have a sink with a vent attached to the stack. I'm installing a shower on the other side of the sink, and planned to use the same drain. (no new vent) Would this work, or would it siphon the water from my sink?

Oct 26, 2008, 09:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Here you tell us that both toilet and lavatory are vented and here you say it is n't,
    If the sink has a "S" trap then it isn't vented so where's this vent you speak of? Something's not adding up here. Regards, Tom
    We have main stack behind toilet, vented sink--yes there is an S trap and shower not installed. The shower uses the same drain, so is only vented through the sink. I'm debating if I need a separate vent for the shower.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Max. Distance between p-trap and vent stack [ 13 Answers ]

Is there a maximum distance that is allowed between a p-trap for the sink (1 1/2" horizontal pipe) and the vent stack that it drains into (2" or 3" vertical pipe) ? If the distance is more than a couple of feet is it better to put in a separate vent / drain ?

Adding drain for washing machine - do I need a pea trap and vent? [ 4 Answers ]

I am installing 2 new washers and dryers on each floor in our two flat in a kitchen pantry (the building is 120 year old frame building.) We are installing the wall insert that has the hole for the water coming in and a hole to put the drain hose going out. I know it has to be about 42" off the...

Is it trouble if there is no vent or trap on WM branch [ 6 Answers ]

I have a washer drain line, 2 inch diameter stand pipe without a vent or trap. Should I be concerned; I haven't noticed any issues? The stand pipe extends from a wall say 36 inches from the floor, does down; angles away from the foundation, then angles further down directly into the house's...

What to do about a new studer vent that still pushes water from vent top [ 2 Answers ]

I have just installed a new studer vent that is above counter top ( w stainless cap). The drain is coming form the dish washer and up to the vent and supposedly to the outer drain, but some of the water backs up into the drain and I have to cut the dish washer off . Why is this happening

How do you get water from a shallow well when pump will not suck water. [ 3 Answers ]

I have sunk a shallow well, (it does have water). I purchased a new pump. The pump does not suck water. I have primed the pump several times it does not want to suck water from the well. What do I need to do to obtain water.

View more questions Search