Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ninawat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2006, 03:30 PM
    Can I be fired for having a back injury?
    Hello,

I just recently started a new job about three weeks ago. About 5 months before starting this new job, I bulged two discs in my back. Prior to starting the new job, my back seemed to be feeling much better. All of the sudden it is really hurting me. I can barely walk around the office. I have talked to my boss and she knows my medical condition. I am scared that company is going to want to get rid of me. Is this legal? Can I be fired for this?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2006, 05:26 PM
    It depends where you live.

They might be able to.

If the job requires heavy lifting and you are unable to do the job, they might be able to get rid of you since this was an pre-existing injury that I take it you didn't tell them about.

But if it's a desk type job, then they can't get rid of you because you have a bad back.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 5, 2006, 05:48 PM
    Unfortunately Captain Forest is correct.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2006, 06:32 AM
    Hello nina:

Unless you are protected by a union contract or a personal employment contract, then you are working "at will". That's a legal term meaning that they can fire you for ANY reason whatsoever, except discrimination.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Back injury [ 1 Answers ]

A person has an accident to his/her back and then has another accident 11 years after and this also affects the back which he injured in the first instance. Has anyone else suffered like this and hasn't been allowed by lawyers to put the two together when going to law ? This person is still...

Had stroke-Can I get fired?Any laws about this [ 5 Answers ]

Aunt had stoke.Whats the law on this. Ive heard that they have to give your job back upon your return up to 2 yrs. Is this true?

Fired [ 8 Answers ]

I was fired by mail after being placed on suspension ( a disciplinary act that is not sanctioned by union contract) and after filing a harrassment complaint during a FMLA leave. I have no income now, therefore no money to pay a lawyer. Got any suggestions on any of the above.

Medical issue got me fired. [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I was wondering if this is against labor laws. I started a new job 2 weeks ago and I did not tell them of a condition, in which no one knows what is, If I don't know what it is, how can I tell them I have it for one thing. Well, I had one of my spells, and they told me to bring in all my...

View more questions Search