Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ksrogers Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2008, 10:13 AM
    Moving Cold Air Return Vent
    Hello

I had a half wall in my living room that I took out and now in the new entrance is my cold air return, which is in the middle of my house. All I want to do is move the cold air return from the middle of the new entrance to the other side of the room, which is about 10 feet, and then it would be up against the wall. My basement has unfinished ceiling and all the cold air return is tin covering between two floor joists. I would just extend this tin 10 feet to the other side of the room and install the new vent. Is this OK?

On another note I have been reading some of the other threads and it seems my house is abnormal. My house is about 35 years old and is about 1200 square feet. I have 5 air vents upstairs with only one cold air return and 4 air vents on the main floor with only one cold air return, and 2 air vents downstairs with no cold air return vents. Does this sound OK as I don't think there has been any changes to the existing system since it was originally installed.

All your help would be much appreciated!

Thanks
    Kevin
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Oct 21, 2008, 10:36 AM
    had a half wall in my living room that I took out and now in the new entrance is my cold air return, which is in the middle of my house. All I want to do is move the cold air return from the middle of the new entrance to the other side of the room, which is about 10 feet, and then it would be up against the wall. My basement has unfinished ceiling and all the cold air return is tin covering two floor joists. I would just extend this tin 10 feet to the other side of the room and install the new vent. Is this ok?

Yes should work OK

On another note I have been reading some of the other threads and it seems my house is abnormal. My house is about 35 years old and is about 1200 sqaure feet. I have 5 air vents upstairs with only one cold air return and 4 air vents on the main floor with only one cold air return, and 2 air vents downstairs with no cold air return vents. Does this sound ok as I don't think there has been any changes to the existing system since it was originally installed.

If it worked before it should work again

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cold and drafty from ceiling mounted cold air return [ 1 Answers ]

I recently purchased a adobe style home built in 2000 with a Single Roof Mounted combined HVAC system in the Albuquerque New Mexico Area. Directly below the HVAC is the only cold air return duct work located in the ceiling of the Hallway on one end of the Home. A single Thermostat for the entire...

Can you put furniture in front of a cold air return vent? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I want to place a piece of furniture in front of a cold air return vent. The vent is close to the floor. There would be a gap of at least 3 inches between the vent and the back of the furniture. Would this pose any problems with the vent being able to function effectively? Thanks!

Moving washer - no vent [ 3 Answers ]

I live in older house (1930's). I recently found that my washer and utility tub drain into the basement floor drain which drains out 70 feet towards nowhere (leach field not city sewer/water). Lately, the washer has been backing up in the basement after a wash or two. Had plumber look at the lines...

Cold air return vent [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a home recently that has gas heat. It has a crawl space not a basement. The cold air return register put our cold air. I always thought the cold air return register takes the room cold air and returns it to the heater. Am I correct and if so have do I correct it.

Moving a vent pipe [ 5 Answers ]

I recently took out a wall that was part of a closet to make room for a double sink in the bathroom. The Vent pipe 3" was in the wall. I cut it at the floor , put a 90 to the left , went over about 2 feet then another 90 up through the ceiling into the attic where I went at a 45 to the right then...

View more questions Search