Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nao381 Posts: 25, Reputation: 2

Oct 20, 2008, 05:43 PM
    Birth Control
    Is birth control considered abortion?
    namaber Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2008, 05:53 PM

No, birth control is keeping the egg form being fertilized.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 20, 2008, 06:35 PM
    I suppose it's all in how you look at it, and exactly what form of birth control you are talking about.

Some may consider the IUD a form of birth control, for example, as the egg is fertilized in the fallopian tubes and travels down into the uterus. The IUD is in the uterus and it makes for a hostile environment for a fertilized egg, thus shedding of the uterine lining.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 20, 2008, 06:53 PM

Yes it is all how one judges it, but in most cases it is not,
    Now some denominations have other issues with birth control not related to abortion,

Oct 20, 2008, 07:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Yes it is all how one judges it, but in most cases it is not,
    Now some denominations have other issues with birth control not related to abortion,
    Can you elaborate on the denominations that have issues with birth control? Also, is taking birth control pills considered abortion?
    Expert

Oct 20, 2008, 07:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nao381 View Post
    is taking birth control pills considered abortion?
    No, because birth control pills do not kill the egg once it is fertilized. It actually prevents fertilization by keeping hormones at a certain level.

Now, some people feel that taking the morning after pill could be considered abortion.
    Expert

Oct 20, 2008, 07:19 PM

The Catholic church has a issue with birth control, One I disagree greatly on.

In the idea christian world, no one has sex until married and never divorce and never cheat.

But this is not a perfect world.
    So for protection from all sorts of disease and for birth control various good methods are there.

But no the pill is not abortion,

I believe the morning after pill is and one reason I have lobbied against to as much as I have.

But then the morning after pill is not sold to be a birth control for regular use, it is for the exception, but being used more often as a regular form of control

Oct 20, 2008, 07:27 PM

Is preventing life considered abortion. If so, wouldn't taking birth control be an abortion?
    Expert

Oct 20, 2008, 07:33 PM

No one has said abortion is preventing life, abortion is stoping life after it has begun.
    Expert

Oct 20, 2008, 07:34 PM
    Abortion is killing an egg that is already fertilized. Preventing life is called family planning.
    De Maria Posts: 1,359, Reputation: 52
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2008, 08:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nao381 View Post
    Is birth control considered abortion?
    A condom and other spermicidal devices are not abortive. However, every form of The Pill of which I am aware is "abortifacent". In other words, they kill the fertilized egg if any should arise. Some by keeping the fertilized egg from attaching to the wall of the uterus and being flushed out. Others by simply killing the fetus.

Sincerely,

De Maria
    Expert

Oct 20, 2008, 08:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by De Maria View Post
    Aevery form of The Pill of which I am aware is "abortifacent". In other words, they kill the fertilized egg if any should arise.
    This is completely inaccurate. The Morning After Pill is designed to work the way you speak of, but the regular daily birth control pill does not work in this manner.

The birth control pill is designed to stop ovulation before it occurs. An egg cannot be fertilized until ovulation occurs. The Pill regulates hormonal balances so that the egg is not released from the ovaries until the placebo pill is taken, thus no fertilization happens. Fertilization is when the sperm meets the egg in the fallopian tube AFTER ovulation.
    revdrgade Posts: 162, Reputation: 37

Oct 21, 2008, 09:37 AM
    The basis of the church's teaching that a conception is the beginning of a child is found in passages which speak of God having a part in the lives of some unborn saints:

Deut 32:6
    6 Is this the way you repay the Lord,
    O foolish and unwise people?
    Is he not your Father, your Creator,
    Who made you and formed you?
    NIV

Ps 139:13-16

13 For you created my inmost being;
    You knit me together in my mother's womb .
    14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    Your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well.
    15 My frame was not hidden from you
    When I was made in the secret place.
    When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,
    16 your eyes saw my unformed body.
    All the days ordained for me
    Were written in your book
    Before one of them came to be.
    NIV

Jer 1:5

5 "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,
    before you were born I set you apart;
    I appointed you as a prophet to the nations."
    NIV

Luke 1:39-45

39 At that time Mary got ready and hurried to a town in the hill country of Judea, 40 where she entered Zechariah's home and greeted Elizabeth. 41 When Elizabeth heard Mary's greeting, the baby leaped in her womb , and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit. 42 In a loud voice she exclaimed: "Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the child you will bear! 43 But why am I so favored, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? 44 As soon as the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy. 45 Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished!"
    NIV

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Birth Control causes birth defects? [ 1 Answers ]

So I take Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo and was reading some info about it and noticed that it said you should not take it if you are pregnant (obviously!) because it causes birth defects. So then I started wondering, what if you are taking it and for some reason it doesn't work and you end up pregnant (as...

Birth control [ 1 Answers ]

I want to get birth control but I don't where to start. I don't want my parents to find out so that's that. Is there a way where I can get them without letting them know and will they will be expensive? How much about and which ones do you recommend? Thank you

Birth Control [ 6 Answers ]

All right this is a couple questions into one.. I haven't been taking my pill at the same times and I missed a day this weekend... and me and my boyfriend have had sex a couple times, and after words I feel sick.. what does this mean?:confused:

Birth control [ 16 Answers ]

I have taken depo-provera for two years and how been off depo-provera for over a year. And haven't had any birth control but I just recently took two birth control pills at once, can I still get pregnant?

View more questions Search