Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ecgate26 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2008, 03:41 PM
    Extension Cord?
    I am wondering if a person can cut the ends off an extension and use it to run power from your house to a shed. The extgension cord is a heavy duty 10 gauge cord. And can you run it through conduit? There would be 20-25ft of this cord in conduit and 25ft ran in the house. I'm just looking to save some money because I already have the extension cord that I rarely use.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2008, 05:38 PM

Why are you thinking of using 10 gauge in the first place? And how are you going to connect this wire into your home's electric? You might be going against your local wiring code using such a thick cord.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2008, 01:56 PM

#10 is fine, for 15, 20 or 30 Amps, the increased size will help reduce any voltage drop. You can't bury it, and if it is on top of the ground, it will need Male and a female ends on cord, and be able to be unplugged, 120 volt style is OK.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Oct 21, 2008, 02:35 PM
    Cord like this CANNOT and should not be used as a substitute for permanent wiring.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2008, 02:56 PM

Agreed, 3/4" PVC would be nice for light electric, maybe throw in another for water, and another for Telephone, Sat, Cable, intercom, alarm wiring?
    Doesn't get cheaper or easier than when the trench is open.
    hedlok Posts: 32, Reputation: 2

Oct 21, 2008, 05:41 PM

Stan40man has it right... extension cords are not listed for, nor permitted as a permanent wiring method.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

15 amp extension cord to plug in 20 amp equipment? [ 22 Answers ]

I need to know if I can convert a 15 amp extension cord to plug in 20 amp equipment (temporary). The plug on the equipment has one fin turned perpendicular to the other. Is there an adapter for this?

In wall extension cord? [ 2 Answers ]

We had our TV mounted and installed a month ago and the installer said I should get an in wall extension cord because I couldn't run the tv's power cord through the wall. But when I googled the in wall extension cords it said that they weren't permanent fixes. What do I do to conceal the TV power...

Direct burial extension cord [ 3 Answers ]

I have put up outdoor xmas lights around my yard. They look great and I plan on leaving them there year round. The question is how to get power to them. Right now I have run extension cords from an outdoor outlet to several different starting points for the light strings around the yard. But...

Make uf extension cord [ 3 Answers ]

Since outdoor extension cords should not be buried, can you make a uf cable "extension" cord to plug into a ground fault outdoor outlet and then bury it?

Christmas lights don't fit the extension cord [ 1 Answers ]

How do I resolve the problem of the prongs of the extension cord not fitting the receptycle on the end of my Christmas Lights? Any ideas or direction would be deeply appreciated. Thanks!:cool:

View more questions Search