Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    941sanjuan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2008, 11:31 PM
    Can condominium assessment be a deductible expense?
    I am right now a comdominium unit owner and the condominium complex is planning to make major repairs and is now going to charge unit owners for an assessment for the repairs. Can I use this assessment as a deductible expense?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 24, 2008, 06:00 AM

No - not unless the condo is part of your business, which seems unlikely. Otherwise about all you can do is add the cost of major repairs and capital improvements to your cost basis for the condo, so that later when you sell it if you have a taxable gain on the property you can reduce the amount of capital gains tax owed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Condominium Law [ 5 Answers ]

I need to create a form for a prospective purchaser of a small condo community (14 units). Is it unlawful to ask for employment history and receive consent for a criminal background check?

Apartment rent as deductible expense for H1B tax filing [ 1 Answers ]

I am living and working at chicago in H1B status. My employer is at New Jersey. Can I claim my apartment rent of $1250 as expense for the purpose of itemisarion? I have been living at chicago for the last 3 years. Thanks, Thomas

California condominium law [ 4 Answers ]

I live in Southern Califonia in a condominum that is owned by my mother. Because my mom lives out of state, I have her power of attorney regarding the condominium. My question is, am I eligible to run for the Board of Directors? I've been very active in the condo community for many years, and...

View more questions Search