Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlynnc91 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2008, 12:21 PM
    My dreams
    I frequently have dreams that I am flying, not on a plane, but just my body is flying. Sometimes I am flying away from someone who is chasing me. If I fly too high, I can't fly anymore and I fall back to the ground. What does this mean?
    Alder Posts: 342, Reputation: 71

Oct 21, 2008, 01:57 PM

Most dream researchers see flying dreams as very positive. It is generally associated with being empowered. Oftentimes people can fly in lucid dreams, i.e. dreams where they are aware they are dreaming. Sometimes you can be just sort-of aware you are dreaming, at the very back of your mind. You aren't fully thinking about the fact, but there's just this little sense you have during the dream that you have power (to fly or whatever), that everything will be OK and that you can't get hurt.

Then there is a different part of your mind that isn't aware that it's a dream, that tries to keep you safe and wants things to make sense. It is probably that part of your mind that short-circuits the flying and makes you fall back to earth if you go too high. It doesn't want you to fly too high and get lost, or fall too far and get hurt. But those are not realistic fears--if you could know more strongly that it is a dream, then you could reassure the cautious side of your mind and fly as high as you want, even to Mars!

You might want to try the simple technique of reminding yourself from time to time during the day, "I fly in my dreams!" Then, if all of a sudden you start flying, you might realize, "Ah ha! This must be a dream." The first couple of times you realize it's a dream, you'll probably wake yourself up. In time, though, that won't happen. Then you can have fun with it: It's just a dream, so nothing bad can happen. Let's see how fast I can go! Let's see how high! If I start to fall, instead of landing on the earth, can I fly right through it?

So what's the point? Well, it comes back to the idea that flying is a dream metaphor for living, for being creative and talented and fulfilled in your life. So being in control in your dreams can spill over, helping you feel confident and together when you are awake. Plus, it can be a real blast--better than any roller coaster. Try doing a loop-the-loop!
    ;)
    xoxaprilwine Posts: 582, Reputation: 71

Oct 25, 2008, 08:30 AM
    I have flying dreams too and sometimes it can get scary... flying fast and swooping down like a bird. Thing is when in the dream... remind yourself you are in control and take control of the pattern of flying. You will find it exhilarating. You may fall a few times but once you master it, you will love going to bed and going to different places and countries. I usually end up in Scotland though it is not a place of relevance for me.

"On the other hand, flying dreams can be symbolic of liberation from limits or 'rising above' a situation. Flying dreamers are usually flying high in the sky--the sky being a symbol of spirituality. So these dreams may symbolize an expansion in spiritual awareness and leave the dreamer with feelings of empowerment, hope, peace, and exhilaration. It can symbolize situations in waking life which are limiting--situations from which we feel unable to liberate ourselves. Oftentimes flying dreams are precursors to lucid dreams because if you can become lucid enough to realize you are flying, the leap to full dreaming consciousness becomes a short step. And there are those who believe that flying dreams, like lucid dreams are actually out-of-body experiences--the soul has left the body behind so it may explore other realms. Dreams that start off with flight but end with crashing to earth usually indicate a loss of control or fear of failure. Ironically, these dreams may also point to a fear of success. If you've become accustomed to a certain way of life--even a bad way of life--leaving it behind can be scary. This leads us to pure falling dreams. Falling is not something we generally chose to do--it is something that happens to us, something over which we have no control. Therefore falling dreams are usually symbolic of severe anxiety, feelings of helplessness, being overwhelmed emotionally, or feelings being pushed beyond one's limits. Falling dreams that occur shortly after sleep are usually a bit more mundane: shifting from an upright to prone position may cause a drop in blood pressure which the dreaming mind then translates into a falling sensation.

Flying and falling dreams are like two points on opposite ends of an arc--freedom and liberation on one end; fear and limitation on the other. Look at your waking life and try to identify which end of the spectrum you are on. If you're on the flying end keep on soaring to the stars. If you're on the falling end try to identify what's holding you back--then go chase a star yourself!"

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does anyone know about DREAMS? [ 5 Answers ]

I didn't know what to post this under, so I hope I posted it under the most appropriate subject. Normally I wouldn't ask a question like this (due to having a lot of crazy dreams that I'm OK with) Last night I had a dream that I woke up in my pajamas, that a monstrous poisonous dark colored...

Dreams from where? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there I am a 28yr male and I know that you have lots and lots of dreams a night but most you can't remember that was the case for me up until the past 6 or 7 days now. THis is something that normally I would keep to myself and just laugh it off but its every time I go to sleep now.I can never...

Dreams I don't get it [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I'm only 13 but keep having the same dream over and over again about every two nights. Ill explain. In the dream I see myself. I can master four elements. Fire,earth,water,air I'm learning these elements in my dream and I always seem to remember it and it never changes its always the same dream...

Bad Dreams! [ 6 Answers ]

As some of you know, I recently had a miscarriage about two weeks ago. I've been dealing with it okay although it does hurt to think about sometimes and is very frustrating. My problem is that I've been having the worst dreams, here is an example: "I'm using the potty and all of a sudden an...

View more questions Search