Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 15, 2008, 01:21 PM
    Mint and new Money
    My daughter (15) just recently asked me why the mint does not make more money in times of financial hardships like we are in. I realize that it is a delicate system of checks and balances, but I am finding it hard to explain to her why this doesn't work. Can any of you help me out with this?

Thanks
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2008, 01:28 PM

Show her pictures of Germany before the second world war when they just kept printing loads of money and it became worthless. Or indeed Zimbabwe now.

Google Image Result for http://www.adolfthegreat.com/site/fileadmin/Image_Archive/Talent-Art/GermanWorthlessMoney.jpg

It doesn't work because cash isn't actually money- it's just a promise of money in the bank (gold, jewels ect)

I often get bemused by money as it doesn't really exist when you think about it but it rules everything around us!

Probably not the best explanation but I wanted to post a link to the picture of a kid playing with blocks of notes because it worth less than toys.

EDIT

I suppose a way to say it is the more cash there is (as in coins and notes) the less money is worth. Because before one blat would buy you a loaf of bread but now everbody has twice as many blats the spending power of your blat has decreased by half, so that loaf is going to cost you two blats.

I remember my Dad explaining all this to me when I was younger- my head was spinning for days!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 15, 2008, 02:57 PM

It will lower the value of the money already in print.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 15, 2008, 02:59 PM
    I guess I understood it all along then as that is what I told her, but I was not able to explain WHY it would lower the value.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who sings the song that goes like this."money money money, money?" [ 5 Answers ]

Do you know the artists name?

Who sings the song that goes, Money, money, money, money? [ 12 Answers ]

Who sings the song that goes something like this... Money, Money,Money, Money?

1964 Singer Sewing Machine in Mint Condition [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know how much a 1964 Singer Sewing Machine, in mint condition, is worth?

1946 booker t Washington coin mint condition [ 6 Answers ]

Is it worth anything also states in god we trust on back

View more questions Search