Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ctrav22 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2008, 12:00 PM
    A Roommate on our lease moved out and did not pay rent, can we withhold security?
    We signed a 3 person lease in the beginning of April on an apartment in Hoboken, NJ. 3 people signed the lease. I paid the security in full (1.5 months rent) and the other tenants paid me their portion. One roommate's check bounced. I then paid his prorated rent for the month of April. He has no record of paying me back for either. In September that same roommate did not pay rent. He then told us 2 days after rent was due that he needed to move out by October 1st. 2 days after that, he admitted that he could not pay his rent for September. I covered his rent, began searching for a new roommate, and eventually found one to move in on the 15th.

The new roommate paid me the security directly(again, 1.5 months), which covered; her prorated rent for the month, the rent the original roommate owed, the utilities that he owed, a late fee for the rent, my bank fees for transferring money to cover the rent, the cost of replacing the locks since he did not return his his keys, and a laundry bill which he owed and for which the owner of the laundrymat was knocking on our door. The final balance we owed him after all was said and done was about $180.00. When he moved out, he left all of his furniture, dirty laundry, and made a mess of our apartment.

Do we have the legal right to keep the $180 for a cleaning service/moving his things out (as well as charging him a fee for storage for the days he left the furniture there before we finally had someone move it out)? Are all of the deductions I originally made fair?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 15, 2008, 12:22 PM

I'm totally confused here. The bad tenant bounced the check for his share of the security. You then covered his rent for for the months of April and September. So, right there he owes 3 months rent.

In addition to this, the tenant owed a laundry bill, plus leaving a mess that had to be cleaned. So that increase the amount he owed.

Now a new tenant comes in. That tenant should have paid their share of the security deposit. Normally that amount would go to the outgoing tenant, but since that outgoing tenant owed the security deposit, he wasn't entitled to get it back.

I don't understand why the incoming roomie would be paying a late charge, the utilities owed by the outgoing tenant, or any of the other things you mentioned. The incoming tenant should only have paid their share of the deposit and the prorated rent for October.

The remaining roomies or the landlord should sue the outgoing tenant for what they owed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a tenant withhold rent because of faulty AC without a signed lease! [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, My son lives in Florida and is renting a condominium. He signed a one-year lease in 2005, however, he continues to reside in this unit since then, with, of course, the landlord's consent, on a month to month basis without having entered into a new lease. He has been having issues with the...

Roommate who is not on my lease, unstable, not paying rent, won't leave [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, This is my first time using this site. I feel a bit trapped right now and not sure what my rights are. I live in Florida and I rent an apartment where I'm the sole lessee. I was in a bit of a tight spot financially and needed a room mate so a friend of mine moved in. He was in a tight spot...

Ex-Roommate refuses to pay recent rent, though not on lease [ 2 Answers ]

In September, 2007, my best friend at the time and I moved into a great new apartment in Brooklyn. Because our combined incomes were not enough to get the apartment, my parents agreed to co-sign. Because of this, only my name had to be on the lease. Regrettfully, I did not require that my friend...

Lease renewal - roommate hasn't signed new lease but will not leave or pay rent. [ 6 Answers ]

My roommate/best friend and I have lived in the same three bedroom apartment in New Jersey for 4 years. This past year we took in a 3rd roommate that we had met through friends. Upon her moving in the 3rd roommate signed the current lease agreement, which is now due to end in a few days. About...

Help roommate moved out and refuses to pay rent [ 8 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I are on a lease with someone in NC. The rent is $800. My boyfriend actually pays rent somewhere else but basically lives with me. Before the "someone" moved in I informed them that my boyfriend basically lives with me. She said okay and agreed to paying half the rent. She...

View more questions Search