Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    susy Posts: 35, Reputation: 5

May 30, 2006, 11:53 PM
    What should I do?
    HI, I've worked the last year ( the entire year) and I saved money for my education ( college and university) However, I got pregnant, and I had to quit my job. Right now, I'm focused on my son and on my education, and I don't work. My husband works, so he has an income. The problem is that sometimes I need money to buy the things for the baby,or my husband asks me money for the gasoline, to complete the money for the rent.. and I use my saved money for those things, but since I don't have any income, I ask my husband the money I spent back. I think that if I spend the money I saved, I am going to end up having nothing in my account because I don't have any income. I would not ask the money I spent back if I would work( I would not mind)but that is not the case. Lately, my husband doesn't want to give me any money back because he says that I have money and I don't need it, so I'm worried because I'm going to need it for my education. Do you think I should stop asking my husband to pay me back the money I spend for my baby, and sometimes for the gasoline, the rent, etc..? I'm planning to work now that my son is older, but that is not that easy yet.
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2006, 12:04 AM
    Hi Susy,

I believe the money you saved, leave it saved and its saved for a very good cause, your future!
    Now that your married and you have a family, your husband brings the bread home, and you look after your son.
    How old is your son? Maybe soon you can start thinking to look for at least a part time job to keep you going.
    When I was young only my dad worked and mum stayed at home with the kids, so she had no job, so what my dad did - he used to give her a monthly allowance. Basically for food, nappies those kind of things, after all its only fair!
    I mean is your husband working and keeping all the money for himself?
    educatedhorse_2005 Posts: 500, Reputation: 78

May 31, 2006, 12:43 AM
    You do now that there are grants and student loans out there that will help you get to college.
    Me and my wife have to separate accounts one is hers one is mine.
    We divide up the monthly bills and each of us give half to the mortgage.
    But if I don't have enough to cover the monthly bills she will give me what I need to do it.
    But I do repay her.
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2006, 12:56 AM
    RickJ, its still happening!
    Im subscribed to some threads where I place my post and they are not appearing on my profile
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2006, 05:37 AM
    Hi,
    Congratulations on being able to save some money.
    NO, don't give it to your husband for any reason!
    Your husband needs it for gas? Other things? To pay rent?
    If he is working, his job must not be paying very much for him to be asking you for your own saved money! And YES, I would ask him for the money back, to put in your own account.
    One of the problems in today's America is that many, many married couples work; both of them, both full-time jobs, just to make ends meet, moneywise.
    When you get a job, you two could then begin to share "our" money.
    But, until you do, PLEASE don't spend your savings on anything except the bare necessities, for you and your son.
    If your husband says you have money and don't need it, something is WRONG with this thinking.
    A good marriage involves "us", not "my" money and "your" money.
    For the time being, keep "your" money to yourself, and see how things go when you get a job. I do wish you all the best, and good luck.
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2006, 06:00 AM
    Its very important that in a marriage or even a relationship that you still have our individual money / bank accounts its not healthy otherwise. Can cause lots and lots of friction!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search