Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stevetaylor Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2006, 08:43 PM
    91 Honda Civic losing coolant
    Hi,

I have a 91 honda civic, 1.5 L and 149K miles on it. Last week I just noticied a high engine temperature and so I stopped and check the coolant and it was empty and so do the radiator.

I immediately bought a 50/50 coolant and filled the radiator and filled the coolant tank between max and min. For this it consumed the full 1 gallon coolant.

Today I noticed the coolant tank was empty again and the coolant in the radiator was also little less, I think I would have driven the vehicle for about 30 miles between this.

As mentioned in the other similar messages, I don't see any smoke in the exhaust and there is no visible leaks on the radiator pipes too. The oil dip stick shows the oil condition as normal, nothing milky white and the oil level has not decreased a bit since I changed the oil which was before 1500 miles.

What could be the problem?

Thanks
    educatedhorse_2005 Posts: 500, Reputation: 78

May 30, 2006, 09:14 PM
    Start your car and pull the radiator cap off and see if it blows coolant out.
    Of course don't do it why it really hot.
    Do it first thing in the morning why it is cool.
    Tommyp!972 Posts: 300, Reputation: 36

May 30, 2006, 10:19 PM
    Take it to a shop and have them pressure test to see where the leak is

Other solution... check owners manual and see what the capacity of your radiator is
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

May 30, 2006, 11:48 PM
    The radiator could be the issue. If you bought green coolant, look for green residue on the radiator at the top. If you bought blue, look for blue. I had a cracked radiator that was cracked at the top, and when the coolant would get hot, steam would get out at that place. The crack was not visible at all, but you would see steam going out and when I turned it off and it cooled down, I could see green residue on the top at the place where it was steaming.

Also, my friend with a '91 Civic DX has had a cracked hose that was only letting coolant out when it got hot. While it was cold, no coolant would go out.

I just want to say that the fact that there are no visible cracks doesn't have to mean there are no cracks at all.

Because you say your oil is fine, I'd say that your head is still not warped and head gasket is not blown... if any of those happened, you would burn oil as well as coolant. But since you're not burning anything (no white smoke), I'd say there's a hidden crack somewhere.

Try not to drive the car around much, because your engine head is made of aluminum, and it can get warped if the car overheats. Make sure you always add coolant before EACH drive you take with your car.

And I also agree with above post about taking it to a shop to do the pressure test of the coolant system. It will point out the problem much easier.
    rjohns Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2006, 04:13 PM
    I agree, have the radiator and cap pressure tested for leaks. If there's a leak in the radiator or cap you will see it right away and you’ll know for sure. My 1990 Civic was losing antifreeze and I got a friend that had a radiator tester and in a few minuets we could see were it was leaking and when we tested the cap it wouldn’t hold any pressure. Hope this helps.
    Regards
    Rjohns
    stevetaylor Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2006, 04:22 PM
    I started the car and opened the radiator cap and it was not throwing any coolant, but some coolant came out as if it was overflowing momentarily.
    alexyandukin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2009, 04:48 PM
    I had the same problem on my Civic 91 DX. It was leaking one quart about every three weeks, and then stop leaking. Every time I replace the 1 quart of coolant, it would disappear again. I put coolant leak sealant liquid in the radiator, and it stopped the problem. However, it reappeared again about 6 month later. I put more of the sealant into the system, even though the instructions said "Not to add more sealant to coolant that already has sealant applied to it." Now my car gets coolant steam coming from the hood, but the rate of the leaking coolant is still about the same, one quart every three weeks. So the sealant seems to do the job, if you do not want expensive repair on the car, but it should be used as instructed.
    ksnatarajan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2009, 01:06 AM
    Top up the coolant and drive your car for about 30KM during day time. Stop your car and look for any leaking rubber hose. Usually the rubber hoses from and to the radiator is a issue. Check also the cabin heater coolant supply and return lines for any leak. I had experienced leak in the radiator supply and return hoses in my 2002 honda civic. Try it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

94 honda civic ex [ 6 Answers ]

Well I have an 94 civic ex and it's giving me problems and the problem is that when I shift gear and go (happens on every gear) then its making this sound from the engin and plus the car is'nt picking up speed like not enough airflow going though or burning gas so I think my trans bad or clucth is...

91 honda civic [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 91 honda civic 4 door sedan dx. I just replaced the rotor and distributor cap and now the car won't start. First I checked multiple times to be sure I had the firing order correct. I then read the thread written by CroCivic91 and checked my ECU codes. I got a 10 and 16. The 16 sounds...

91 Honda Civic [ 3 Answers ]

Engine runs rough - a lack of power but not a hard miss - until engine warms up but car must sit for at least 18 hrs. 170,000 miles. Replaced plugs, cap rotor - no help. Distributor shaft has minor oil leak allowing oil to get inside of cap - maybe related.

Honda Civic Dx [ 1 Answers ]

Hey I was just wondering what the size of speakers are in the front are rear on a honda civic dx 1991

Honda Civic 95 [ 5 Answers ]

Hey guys, I have a civic that every time I put the break the dashboard light comes on is that normal?

View more questions Search