Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    friendleyadvice Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2008, 11:56 AM
    Unmarried mothers legal rights?
    I was wanting to know if in most cases an unmarried mother gets granted custody or sole custody providing that I have evidence against child's father of drug use and unsanitary environment, and if in his case does he have to prove me unfit? Does he need actual evidence or proof to show me to be unfit? Will the judge in my custody hearing allow his family members or friends to approach the bench to say they've witnessed something I've done and will it be used without proof?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 14, 2008, 12:06 PM
    1) If the father's name os not put on the birth certificate, he will have to file a court action to establish paternity. However, if you don't put his name on, then you will have to file the paternity case to get child support.

2) Unless a father comes forward or is identified, the mother has sole physical and legal custody.

3) If the father wants physcial custody, he will have to file in Family court. He will have to prove the mother unfit. This is extremely hard to do. Witness testimony will be listened to, but if there is no physical corroborating evidence, it will probably be discounted.

4) If you expect him to baqttle you for custody, you better get an attorney, especially if he gets one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unmarried father's rights [ 2 Answers ]

My ex-girlfriend is pregnant and due in a couple of months. I do not want a relationship with her but would like to be friendly for the baby's sake. I want joint custody of the baby and she wants sole custody. I want to make sure my rights are protected. Can I get joint custody if we are not...

Unmarried father rights [ 3 Answers ]

Can my daughter and her child move to another state without father's consent if they are not married?

Unmarried Father Rights [ 12 Answers ]

My daughter was born out of wedlock and her father wanted nothing to do with her. He signed her birth certificate only because I begged him to and promised not to go to court to seek child support. Here is the problem. I have never denied the father access to her since I wanted her to have as...

Unmarried fathers rights [ 3 Answers ]

My boyfriend & I have been dating 2 months but have known each other a lot longer. We don't exactly live together but may be soon. We are together everyday. We both have 3 yr old sons from previous relationships. My son is with me 24/7, he hasn't seen his but once in the last 2 months it was for 6...

Unmarried Father Rights [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter was born out of wedlock and her father wanted nothing to do with her. He signed her birth certificate only because I begged him to and promised not to go to court to seek child support. We do have another child that was born before we were divorced and the father does have to pay...

View more questions Search