Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gwallace1 Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2008, 09:16 PM
    AddDate function not in report
    I am attempting to add auser specified number of days to a date rage (Hearing Date) to calculate the end date of a prticular sentence. I use the control source property as :

=DateAdd("d",[Loss_of_Yard],[Hearing_Date])

I use the same parameters for each area I need to add the time to. It appears to function perfectly, but does not show the new date in the report I have created. The necessary information is in my query(I think) and the form sourc eis correct for all areas it just will not shoe up in my REPORT. Am I missing something with regards to the DateAdd function on a form? Should it go somewhere else?

PS.. Loss of date is user specified number 0-360 and is added to the date (Hearing Date). The number totals correctly but as stated, will not reflect in the report. What Am I missing. Any hel is appreciated.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 13, 2008, 05:54 AM

I've found that putting calcs in reports is often problematic. I try to put them in my queries whenever possible. In addition, I do not like using parameter prompt queries. Instead I prefer to use a form to enter criteria. So I would have an unbound form, with a text box for Loss of Yard, I would then have a column in my query like this:

EndSentence: DateAdd("d",Forms!formname!txtEOY,[Hearing_Date])

Where fomname is the name of the form and txtEOY, the name of the control.

Then bind a control on your report to EndSentence. Add a button on the form to kick off the report.

By the way, this also has the advantage of making use the user enters a number between 0 and 360. Using a parameter prompt there is no restriction on what number they can enter.

So you should have a column in your query like this:

Oct 13, 2008, 01:00 PM

Sorry I was not totally clear... I have a report with the control source set as =DateAdd("d",[Loss_of_Yard],[Hearing_Date])
    The query has no criteria set and the query column for the sum of the variable days added and the "hearing Date" is named TimeTotal. I actually have multiple text boxes on my form that add user defined days to the date "Hearing date" All have a "=DateAdd" function as the control source. Should I not do this and make the query do the math? I have tried that but I can never get the query to give me a total on my form. If you need more info I will get it. Sorry I am sort of new at this... Thanks for your time.

Oct 13, 2008, 05:53 PM

Again, I always put my calcs in the query wherever prossible. So yes, I think you should put it in the query then just bind a control to it.

Oct 20, 2008, 02:41 AM

got it thanks... put it in report... with control source as:
    =DateAdd("d",[Loss_of_Yard],[Hearing_Date]). I could not get it to work in query.

Oct 20, 2008, 06:43 AM

That's weird, but glad you got it working.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

TV Out Function On [ 0 Answers ]

I've got a DVD drive and the PowerDVD 5.0 player and every time I try to watch a newer DVD, I get the error message "TV out function error", I look at the details and it says I can't play copyright protected DVD's with the TVout function enabled. The weird thing is, ALL my graphics adapters just...

View more questions Search