Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kepola Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2008, 08:49 AM
    Aircard & wirless printer
    I have a Veerizon Air Card.. Bought a wirless printer.. Now I cannot firgure oput how to get this working.. The instructions only show "networking" with a router..
    Can this work??
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2008, 10:43 AM

Computers are my weakpoint, When the Aircard came out, you could only use on 1 computer, Thought it would be nice if some one made an AirCard Router, they do, May be what you need, A Computer Guy may help with an easier/cheaper way. Good Luck
    kepola Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2008, 10:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    Computers are my weakpoint, When the Aircard came out, you could only use on 1 computer, Thought it would be nice if some one made an AirCard Router, they do, May be what you need, A Computer Guy may help with an easier/cheaper way. Good Luck
    Thanks I am looking into it, It seems there are some on the web, but like you I don't know enough to know if it's what I need for what I have.. ands not planning on spending the money then it not work...

If I find something I will post it.. for all thode in the same boat.. :o
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Oct 13, 2008, 01:41 PM

The Verizon AirCard is for cellular wireless access. This is quite different than computer WiFi. The printer works with a WiFi connection.

The Verizon AirCard will allow you to connect your laptop to the Internet using the cellular 3G network.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2008, 02:29 PM

Chuckhole, ever work with an Air Card Router?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2008, 06:08 PM

I tried something similar, but was unseccessful during the trial period of Wingate. I wanted to use a private network with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 for port 80 and https: and another private network having a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.

It may have not worked because technically the SM of 255.255.255.255 is not a network. I had no control of either. Both get addresses from DHCP.

They said it was possible, but I never asked with the added glitch.

Chuck?

Oct 14, 2008, 07:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    Chuckhole, ever work with an Air Card Router?
    Only the AT&T version. I have used the bluetooth connection directly to a cellular phone or used the USB cable. Our phone vendors (AT&T and Verizon) have given us some PC cards to demo and we were not that happy with them for our uses. Most of our mobile workforce goes offshore and they do not get cellular out on the rigs.

Oct 14, 2008, 07:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    I tried something similar, but was unseccessful during the trial period of Wingate. I wanted to use a private network with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 for port 80 and https: and another private network having a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.

It may have not worked because technically the SM of 255.255.255.255 is not a network. I had no control of either. Both get addresses from DHCP.

They said it was possible, but I never asked with the added glitch.

Chuck?
    That 32-bit SM means that anything other than your assigned IP address from your ISP's DHCP is routable (your LAN is that one address only). You can still use a separate LAN and your computer will exist on both networks but no other computers on the LAN will be able to automatically get out via that connection since only the one computer knows of the route. However, if you choose to, you should be able to setup ICS via that connection.

You can also setup your cellular phone to work the same as a hardware modem. You can share it the same as any other dial-up adapter. I get only 33.6Kb access that way but it is still much better than it used to be. As far as bluetooth access to the phone and then directly on to the 3G network, I have gotten speeds of 115Kb access. Again, all things considered, this is excellent.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 14, 2008, 07:55 AM

Some wireless printers allow for an adhoc network where you can communicate via 802.11 (WiFi) protocols directly from computer to printer.

Check your printer's manual or contact their tech support about creating an adhoc connection.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2008, 08:33 AM

That's basically what I was triyng to do. At a particular hotspot only http and https are allowed (192.168.. ). I can tether (USB, although Bluetooth is available) the cell phone with an assigned SM of 255.255.255.255 on the (10... ) network.

So, I wanted to use all other ports on the cell network and http/https at the hotspot's network.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Usb aircard networking [ 3 Answers ]

Is there anyway to setup a home network off one verizon usb aircard

Can I convert my laptop aircard for use on my desktop [ 2 Answers ]

I've been given a Verizon PC5750 air card that fits my Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop by my company so that they no longer have to pay for my home dsl service. Does anyone know if I can get a converter/adapter that will let me plug the air car into my desk top and save the $ of keeping my dsl service? ...

Wireless router that accepts verizon usb aircard [ 4 Answers ]

Is there a wireless router that accepts a Verizon USB aircard so I can use that aircard for a home wireless network?

Mp3 with wirless connection [ 1 Answers ]

Do some mp3 players have wifi access? And where are some places that I can use a mp3 player that has a wirless connection?

Wirless invention [ 1 Answers ]

I am working on an idea on a wirless device.But I don't know were to start to find an electronic engineer,or something.with remote frequencies?:confused:

View more questions Search