Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mugzymugz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2008, 09:54 PM
    Our toilet is leaking from around the base. We have tightenind the bolts. We have replaced the ring twice in the past 6 months. It seems to be worse. We can't figure this out. Does anyone have any ideas for me? :confused:

Also, the flange is sitting above the floor lavel. I wasn't sure if it was supposed to do that but I'm reading from some people that it is supposed to be above the floor. Is this correct?
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2008, 10:21 PM

Mugzymugz - If you have done you said there could be a few more reasons for the leak.
    #!- You may have damaged the wax ring when you reset the toilet back in place ,#2- You need to look and feel around the base part of the tank ,the leak could be comeing from the anchor bolts through the tank, #3- The leak could also be comeing from the seal that is between the tank and the comode base. #4- check around the water inlet at the top of the line going into the tankand check down around the bottom of the water line to see if the connections are leaking or the shutoff valve is , If you have to replace the wax ring again , get the type that has a boot on the bottom of the wax ring, set your bolts in place AND set the toilet in place ,setting carefully down over the top of the anchor bolts, once you do this , the next step is to SIT STRUDDLE THE TOILET FACEING THE WALL, and make your weight go from one side , back towards the other a few times and get the toilet set down good.
    Now tighten down the anchor bolts a little at a time until the are down snug, DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN ,because you can bust a bolt or pull the bolt head threw the plastic ,or break the toilet base itself . I hope I have been of some help, Good luck and GOD BLESS
    F.B.E.

MUGZYMUGZY - THe answer to the other question is YES, Just as long as the flange bottom is setting on the floor and not set to high above the floor it self ;; Good luck and GOD BLESS ;; F.B.E.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 11, 2008, 04:40 AM
    the flange is sitting above the floor lavel. I wasn't sure if it was supposed to do that but I'm reading from some people that it is supposed to be above the floor. Is this correct?
    NO! The flange should be level with the floor. How high off the floor is it? Regards, Tom
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Oct 11, 2008, 04:44 AM

Sounds like you have a block or partially blocked sewer pipe.

Pull the toilet and run a snake down the pipe.
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 11, 2008, 04:56 AM
    If the toilet flange is too high off the floor it could compress the wax seal to the point of rupturing it. If the toilet branch were clogged you would be backing up out of the shower or tub also. How high is the flange off the floor?
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 11, 2008, 08:32 PM

In addition to all the great advices from others: Make sure that your toilet tank is not leaking from the tank bolts. Water will slowly travel down on the bowl showing at the base. Also, and sometimes, angle stop or water supply will have slow drip and water will travel around the base showing in front. Lastly, inspect the bowl for hair-line crack. These are hard to see. Put tip of your fingers on the glazing and go over it with your fingernails. Fingernails will detect smallest crack.
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 12, 2008, 04:09 AM
    Make sure that your toilet tank is not leaking from the tank bolts. Water will slowly travel down on the bowl showing at the base.
    To detect this I taske some toilet paper and run it along the back of the bowl. If therer's the nslightest bit of moistuire it will show up on the paper. Regards, tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water still leaking from toilet bowl.after replacing toilet! [ 6 Answers ]

The water was leaking from the bowl of our toilet and we were getting "phantom flushes"... water was also seen trickling into bowl... SO, we replaced the whole toilet as it was pretty darn old. We put in a new wax ring, installed the toilet correctly as far as we can tell... and now the water leaks...

Toilet not flushing, leaking water around base, shower backed up [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, Our toilet would not flush this evening it just filled with water. We spent half an hour trying to use the plunger on it, only to discover that it was pushing all the water from the toilet into the shower standing next to it. We are in an above ground cottage with town water in & septic...

Replacing Leaking Shower Stall Concrete Base [ 8 Answers ]

In my basement I have an old shower stall that was installed by the former owner. The stall also has the air conditioner drainage hose directed through the bottom of shower stall and it drains into the shower drain. That is not my idea of sanitary! Also, there is no top (cover) over the stall. ...

Older Kohler leaking at base of Kitchen Spout. Got off but can't get apart [ 2 Answers ]

I've got a 15 year old Kohler 2 handle kitchen sink that's leaking around spout base. I took the spout off and there's a valve looking thing loose up in the handle. It appears that it once screwed into the base of the faucet assy (the water pressure has always been bad at this sink). It looks...

View more questions Search