Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MimiGirl Posts: 141, Reputation: 0

Oct 7, 2008, 07:36 AM
    Constant UTI's
    Hello again,
    this might be the 3rd or 4th time I write on this website concerning my UTI infection that I am getting constantly (every month now).. I really need some answers-I have gone everywere and have done many tests-and everything has come out clear or negative..
    The first test that they had me do was a papsmear and ovaries check with a sonagram(that came out negative and clear).. Then she prescribed me Levaquin 55mg to kill the infection (antibiotics for 5 days only) and also phenazopyridine 200mg for the pain(cause I was also bleeding really bad and had a constant urge to urine).
    I took these pills thinking that it will finally kill the bacteria but it only helped for a few weeks and then the next month it came back... We then went back to the papsmear place and told the doctor she then took a urine sample and said that I had both a yeast infection and UTI.. She then said that I might have a bladder problem and sent me to a Urologist (she also gave me again the same anitibiotics for the pain and to kill infection for 5 days)..
    I made the appointment and went to the urologist-I explained to him what was happening to me and he then wanted to do the test called Cystoscopy to see inside my bladder (painful like heck was that exam):(
    Anyway he then said everything looked clear and put me in a strict diet (no food containing nitrites or acid that can irritate bladder) He gave me a list on what not to eat and could eat.. On that paper it said "people who have IC (which means Interstitial Cystitis ) so I am guessing that's what I have-aint sure though..
    He also precribed me a pill called Prelief to drink 2 every morning, afternoon, and night right before I eat (just in case I ate certain foods that could irritate bladder).. He then wanted to see me in 3 months which would have been this dec.
    I followed exactly what was on the list and drank the Prelief just like he recommended but in the end I ended up getting the UTI again.. I laid back on coffee, chocolate, coke, certain spicy foods all to end up again with this painful infection that Iam dying to get rid of.. :(
    The pain was very sevier that I ended up going to the emergency room.. Once again I explained to the doctor what was happening to me and that its been almost a yr with me having this UTI constantly and that I have been drinking antibiotics like crazy almost every month.. He then wanted to do some x-rays on my kidneys to see if that's what's causing this.. Once again that was also clear and I ended up taking home 2 more bottles of antibiotics ( the same ones as before) .
    The doctor from the ER did tell me that probably I would need to drink the antibiotics more that just 5 days cause maybe to kill this bacteria I would need more days.. So he prescribed 10 days drinking Levaquin 500mg and just 2 days drinking Phenazopyridine 200mg.. He also suggested to lay off tight pants or jeans to wear lose clothings or panties.. Recommended to wear skirts for a while-and also he told me to hold the intimacy with my hubby for a while cause what might be causing my constant infection is that Iam pushing it inside every time I wear something tight or have intercourse.
    And this is were Iam now, today is the last day of me drinking the antibiotics and have been drinking water like crazy cause I still kind of feel like the infection is still their and if I don't drink enough water it might hurt a little.. Ive followed everything that the ER doctor has told me but I am afraid that this infection might come back once more-I feel like it might just in a few weeks after I stop drinking the antibiotics.. I made another appointment with Urologist this month to tell him that I really need some help-that his diet thing didn't work and that I really want to finally find relief from this..
    I didn't always have this :(
    , anyone with answers or suggestions let me know..
    Iam tired of this I want to feel myself again.. eat chocolate again:p
    I need help.. is their anyone out their with similar problems like me?
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2008, 08:50 AM

I have frequent, recurrent UTIs, as well.

These are the things I've found that work as well as anything...

1. Drink a lot of fluids. Water is best, of course. Also cranberry juice (100% juice kind) is also excellent for your urinary tract health.

2. I've also started taking (when I can remember) cranberry concentrate caplets. Cranberry has something in it that adheres to the lining of your bladder and urinary tract and helps prevent bacteria from adhering and starting an infection.

3. Make sure that you pee EVERY SINGLE time after you have sex. Don't allow yourself to fall asleep before you've peed. Also you and your husband need to wash your hands and he needs to wash his "junk" prior to any contact down there.

4. Also, I'd certainily try a course of a different antibiotic. For some reason your infection may have a resistance to the one you've been taking. It sounds like you may not have completely rid your body of the infection. I've had great luck with Cipro.

I'm also curious about how it gets to that advanced stage of pain and bleeding? I'm not trying to be critical... just something to think about. Can you not feel it coming on before it gets to that stage?
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2008, 09:23 AM

Two thing I see wrong here (I have infections all my life) you dose of antibiotic should be longer. And you should be placed on a daily preventitive antibiotic. (very low dose) and follow rockinmommy's advice
    MimiGirl Posts: 141, Reputation: 0

Oct 7, 2008, 09:30 AM

Yes, sometimes I do feel the pain before the bleeding starts.. usually a day before I feel pain and the urge to urine a lot so what I do is begin to drink lots of water cause I feel that if I have the urge to urine a lot I might not have enough water in bladder and that's when I bleed - usually the next day I tend to pee blood and I just pee a little bit with a lot of pain.. Ive also notice that what triggers a lot this UTI thing is the room temperature.. It can't be really cold cause it'll make matters worst-it has to be warm.. When I take a hot shower that's what also reliefs the pain A lot (as long as I have something warm in that area it'll feel a little bit better)..
    The place that I work at is always freezing cold (even with a sweater on you can still feel it) this is were I usually start my UTI's that Ive noticed..
    P.S. can you believe that the diet that the urologist gave me the paper said no cranberry juice.. so I haven't drank any :(
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2008, 09:31 AM

Cranberry juice may be too much of an irritant for your system
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2008, 09:38 AM

Cranberry juice works in theory but you can't drink enough to get any therapeutic affect. I don't know about the capsules.

I second the asking for different antibiotics.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 7, 2008, 09:58 AM
    Let me also ask if you ever hold it? If you are at work and cannot go to the bathroom do you hold it until you get a break?

Women who have frequent UTIs are told to go to the bathroom whenever they feel the urge. Holding your urine only makes the bacteria grow as the environment is just right for that kind of bacteria.

I would also ask for Cipro as Rockinmommy suggested. It is quite possible that the bacteria is now resistant to the levaquin. A course of antibiotics for an infection such as this should last 10 days, not 5.

Are you sure it was a cystoscopy you had? That is not an exam, but an actual surgery. I had to be put to sleep for the two that I had. After the second one I never had a moment of trouble.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 7, 2008, 10:12 AM
    danielnoahsmommy i had one while awake. It was very painfull during and after
    Wow, Did you really? That just sounds like cruel and unusual punishment to me.
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2008, 10:45 AM

It was and that is why I won't go back. This urologist during every visit makes you use the bathroom. After which she checks you with a sonogram. If shee sees any urine she catherizes you. She does the scoping anually. Sorry. I just can't do it again.
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2008, 11:30 AM

Unfortunately she is rated one of the top docs in my part of the country.(female doc rating)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Origin of Gas constant R? [ 3 Answers ]

Why is the R used for the ideal gas constant? What does R stand for? Who came up with R?

UTI's/ brown discharge, cramps. [ 3 Answers ]

Hello all! I am new to this site and so far so good! Well here it goes. I am having a lot of uti's. I am a clean girl and my boyfriend and I do the right things to keep ourselves clean but for some reason I keep getting them. I had 2 this month and we didn't have sex that often this month because...

Constant headaches [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I posed a question once saying I had heart palputations and lose of breath, later on I began to have head aches as well. I went to the doctor and got a blood test my blood came out fine and the heart palputations arnt occurring anymore or not as offten but I'm still getting headaches, now my...

Constant acceleration [ 3 Answers ]

A car travelling at 100km/h takes 65 m to stop after the driver sees a child run on to the road chasing a ball. If the driver's reaction time is 0.25s, calculate the deceleration of the car. Thanks

View more questions Search