Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2008, 09:38 AM
    How to prove copyright of a photo found on anothers website
    If you come across your photo on someone's website and want to sue for copyright infringement, how do you go about proving who has the original picture?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2008, 09:56 AM
    Not the exact answer you're looking for but Nolo is a great resource:
    Copyright Registration, Notice, and Enforcement FAQ
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 6, 2008, 11:42 AM

I'm confused. Is this a photo of you or a photo you claim you took?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2008, 11:55 AM
    I understood the "your photo" to imply his ownership of the photo. Otherwise the answer would be different. I see where your headed Scott if it's a photo of him, I believe leans towards the acronym S.O.L. :)
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2008, 12:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrJizzle View Post
    If you come across your photo on someones website and want to sue for copyright infringement, how do you go about proving who has the original picture??

If the photo is copyrighted you sue the place where you've found it and subpoena the information require to pursue the person who used it in the first place. Very possibly the final person using it had a duty to check if it's copyrighted.

There's a ton of law on this and a lot of it is circumstantial.
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2008, 02:35 PM

The photo is not of any person but taken by on of our photographers. It is in a digital library along with the others. Many are used on our websites or other places.

So if we sue, does the burden of proof fall on the person we are suing? How do we prove that we took the picture if both parties have the picture on their computer? Is there a code written into the photo file that we can use?
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2008, 02:46 PM
    The photo is not of any person but taken by on of our photographers. It is in a digital library along with the others. Many are used on our websites or other places.

So if we sue, does the burden of proof fall on the person we are suing? How do we prove that we took the picture if both parties have the picture on their computer? Is there a code written into the photo file that we can use?

No, if you make the accusation you prove it and then they try to present proof why it is not true. I don't understand how the whole digital photo thing works (I'm a point and shoot type of person which explains the quality of the photos I take) so I don't know about photo files and so forth.

Somebody who does know will come along.

I do know that - I wasn't the person involved - digital photos were just not allowed as an exhibit in a NY State trial because they are easily doctored. I don't know if that's true or not or if it has anything to do with what you're asking.

There was a recent question about whether websites and their total content are some sort of automatically copyrighted - you might want to use the search feature. Honestly, I researched it but don't recall and Law.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 6, 2008, 03:12 PM
    I believe there are DRM programs that can embed codes into JPGs to to prevent copying or serve as copyright protection. But if you are asking the question, you obviously don't make use of them.

If you sue over infringement you will have to present some proof that this is an original photograph. I'm not sure what proof will be necessary. If it was a film phot then a copy of the negative would be helpful. Other photos taken at the same place showing the same scene. etc.

I would consult with an attorney that specializes in copyright protection.

you don't say how the photo was used. It could be inadvertent, they may have gotten the photo from another source and not realize it was copyrighted. So the first thing I would do is get your attorney to send them a letter requesting the photo be removed or at least attributed to your site.

If they don't then you need to decide how to proceed. You will also need to show a value of the photograph. I seriously doubt if it would be worth suing over a single picture.
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2008, 03:25 PM

Yeah, I feel somewhat the same way. Seems like a lot of effort, time, and money to invest over a single picture.

Thanks everyone for the advice
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2008, 03:29 PM
    Yeah, I feel somewhat the same way. Seems like a lot of effort, time, and money to invest over a single picture.

Thanks everyone for the advice

Let us know if there's any resolution.

Oh, I can barely read your signature line - maybe it should be in bold? I had the same problem, couldn't read the blue.
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2008, 03:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Let us know if there's any resolution.

Oh, I can barely read your signature line - maybe it should be in bold? I had the same problem, couldn't read the blue.
    Lol Thanks Judy... actually, when I first added that to my sig, my intention was to make it barely visible. However, it has been sometime since then and the discussions that were taking place (although the ones as of late, bare a sticking resemblance... who would have thought? Lol)

I think I will take your advice and darken it up a bit

Oh, and I will be sure to post back with how things pan out :D
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2008, 05:18 PM
    lol Thanks Judy... actually, when I first added that to my sig, my intention was to make it barely visible. However, it has been sometime since then and the discussions that were taking place (although the ones as of late, bare a sticking resemblance... who woulda thought? lol)

I think I will take your advice and darken it up a bit

Oh, and I will be sure to post back with how things pan out :D

I suppose I also could have had my eyes adjusted but that just seemed so much more complicated!:)

I notice some colors don't show up on the new boards as well as they did before.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 6, 2008, 05:36 PM

Ok, if the photo is copyrighted, then you will have paperwork from the copyright office that it is. So you prove it, you will have to prove it is in court.
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2008, 08:23 AM

No worries Judy... I shall adjust to accommodate your eyesight ;) lol

Fr_Chuck... the photo was not copyrighted but from what I understand, the new copyright laws state that copyright is secured automatically when the work is created and a work is “created” when it is fixed in a copy or phonorecord for the first time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dating for 2 years, found him on online sexdating website [ 3 Answers ]

I have been dating this wonderful guy for about 2 years now. We moved in together over 8 months ago. Im 27 and he is 37. We used to have sex all the time, and he used to be very affectionate towards me. Now its about 2 or 3 times a month. I am the one that always tries to have sex. When I...

I just found out about this website. [ 3 Answers ]

I have been using it everyday for the past week or two, People have given me such good advice and by taking them I can actually see a difference in the problems that they helped me with. One of them was about my ex boyfriend and how I wanted so badly to get over him. It's strange, but I find...

Dealing with anothers addiction [ 5 Answers ]

How in the world do you deal with anothers constant complaing whining and self pity when they are a roverving addict?

Photo Copyright [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to know if there is a limit to copyright protection for photographs found on the internet or even old library books? I cannot afford the fees some of these folks are asking!

Website Copyright: Current year or range of years? [ 7 Answers ]

Which is more appropriate for the copyright? Do you just show the current year, or show the range of years that the site has been up. © 2007 Or © 2005-2007

View more questions Search