Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lshulma2 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2008, 07:06 AM
    Railing around stair opening
    Hi

I need to put a railing around the opening for my stairs at the top. Should I put the flooring (hardwood or laminate) down first or attach the railing posts to the subfloor?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 30, 2008, 07:33 AM

What kind of railing are you looking at. If metal then yes but a wooden railing will attach better and look better if you attach prior to the new floor.
    lshulma2 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2008, 11:11 AM
    Thanks for the answer. We haven't really decided on the type of railing yet. We were hoping to have 4x4 wooden posts with 3/16 stainless steel wire running horizontally between them. But we are second guessing this because of the difficulty in building this type of railing to code.
    rtw_travel Posts: 347, Reputation: 36

Sep 30, 2008, 11:36 AM

This would not pass in my area. The maximum opening anywhere in a railing is 4" (presumably in order to stop kids from falling through.)

Even if you installed the wires close enough together, they would have to be under tension so that you could not spread them apart to a 4" gap.
    WWPierre Posts: 78, Reputation: 4

Oct 12, 2008, 11:38 PM

Code in Canada says in addition to the max 4" gap, the design must not be able to be climbed, pretty much eliminating any horizontal members. How about expanded metal panels floating 4" from the posts, rails and cap?
    WWPierre Posts: 78, Reputation: 4

Oct 12, 2008, 11:52 PM
    Something like this. Metal or wood.
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Miter chair railing [ 2 Answers ]

How do you miter chair railing

Removing Paint from railing [ 2 Answers ]

Our home is about 50 years old. We like the look of the railing that encases our concrete patio and our entryway. However, I have been hard press to locate a product that will strip away the old paint quickly. Also is there any paint product that you can recommend for re-painting my railing. ...

Chair railing [ 1 Answers ]

How high should the chair railing be to make the room look bigger, and will it be OK to put it in a living room?

Railing Installation on Concrete Slab [ 2 Answers ]

Hello Everyone, I have torn out the shoddy walls of our sundeck in lieu of creating an open air patio. The floor is concrete. I would like to install railing but am unsure how best to secure the posts to the flooring. Any advice would be much appreciated. Regards, Michael

Cement steps cracked by metal railing - best way to repair? [ 2 Answers ]

I have steps in the back of the house that are poured cement, about 6 inches thick, sitting on top of a wood and stucco structure. Embedded in the steps is a metal handrail. Every step where the metal is embedded is cracked and broken. I believe that over the years, water has snuck in between...

View more questions Search