Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Goldenwolf Posts: 157, Reputation: 9

Sep 29, 2008, 05:10 PM
    Pyromania symptoms
    Is a person a pyromaniac if they feel the impulse to start or see fire to feel happiness or relief afterwards?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 29, 2008, 05:15 PM

Here's what I found;

Deliberate and purposeful fire setting on more than one occasion.
    Tension or affective arousal before the act.

Fascination with, interest in, curiosity about, or attraction to fire and its situational contexts (e.g. paraphernalia, uses, consequences).

Pleasure, gratification, or relief when setting fires, or when witnessing or participating in their aftermath.

The fire setting is not done for monetary gain, as an expression of sociopolitical ideology, to conceal criminal activity, to express anger or vengeance, to improve one's living circumstances, in response to a delusion or hallucination, or as a result of impaired judgment (e.g. in dementia, Mental Retardation, Substance Intoxication).

The fire setting is not better accounted for by Conduct Disorder, a Manic Episode, or Antisocial Personality Disorder.

Criteria summarized from:
    American Psychiatric Association. (1994). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders, fourth edition. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Symptoms of a tetnus shot [ 2 Answers ]

I got a tetnus shot on Thursday and at the injection site is the size of a small plum and very hard and hot. Is this a normal reaction or should I go and get it checked out?

Are these Pregnancy Symptoms? [ 2 Answers ]

Been having persistent tummyache as well as soreness in my braest for the past 4days and my period is not due in until 2wks time. Am I pregnant I have had unprotected sex/

Symptoms of dying [ 4 Answers ]

What are the symptoms of the final stages of a life? A lady has dementia, cannot talk immobile, usually awake daily... now contacted severe cold. All she wants to do is sleep, an exhausted sleep with mouth open/dropped... breathing varies, but we suddenly noticed a new sign of repeated...

Pregnacny symptoms [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I Started My Period Today But It Is Very Un-normal For Me To Start This Early I Usually Start At The End Of The Month, Could I Be Pregnant, Me And My Boyfriend Have Unprotected Sex And He Bust In Me Two Otimes About 3weeks Ago.. so Could Someone Help Me...

View more questions Search