Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ianfeldberg Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2008, 07:57 AM
    What kind of pipe is this?
    I need to cut away a section of the 4" vertical stack pipe in my 1917 house to add a 2" PVC line from a new shower. Trouble is that I've never seen this kind of pipe before. Most of the house is cast iron but this 6' or so section of the stack is a dark gray nubby rubberized material. Sounds like metal underneath when I bang on it but I'm not sure. Anyone know what this is? Can I replace part of it with PVC and tie it together with 2 Ferncos?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 29, 2008, 10:01 AM

A picture would help, its likely some version of a coupler. Do not cut on that stack unless you add proper jacking. The stack can weigh several hundred lbs and come crashing down on your head.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 29, 2008, 06:42 PM

Sure, cut it out and replace it with PVC or ABS. Home Depot carries both.

But pay attention to what Ballengerb1 advised in his post above: make sure you support your C.I. pipes before cutting.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 30, 2008, 05:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo Dolezal View Post
    Sure, cut it out and replace it with PVC or ABS. Home Depot carries both.

But pay attention to what Ballengerb1 advised in his post above: make sure you support your C.I. pipes before cutting.
    And how you support the stack is with a raiser clamp, (see image)over your cut and either a pair of bumper jacks or 2 X 4's cut to size to brace the clamp. Do not skimp on the supports. Cast iron is very heavy and if it drops it will affect every fixture above that drains into it. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Attaching properly gas flex pipe to gas pipe and gas stove [ 5 Answers ]

How do I properly attach the flex pipe to the gas stove on one end and the supply pipe on the other end? Do I need a gas poxy? If so what is the proper method of application--on both sides of the attachments (flex pipe and gas supply pipe/stove) or on just one, how much is enough? How tight do I...

Teflon or Pipe Dope for 1 1/4" Water Pipe [ 7 Answers ]

I am building a project that uses several joints of 1 1/4 " galvanized pipe, including elbows and Tee's. The unit will be plumbed into my 50 psi water system. What is the best way to seal the pipe joints? I have assembled the unit and tested using teflon pipe dope and had several leaks.

Replace Lead Pipe from Toilet to Hubless Waste Pipe [ 3 Answers ]

My house is a craftsman style house from 1912 in Oakland, California. I have a big hole in a 24" horizontal lead pipe that bends at 90 degrees and connects the only toilet in the house to the hubless waste pipe. How do I go about removing the lead pipe? (What tools do I need and what type of...

Soil Stack Vent Pipe/Stench Pipe ( Smelly Drains ) [ 3 Answers ]

I have a downstairs toilet and upstairs toilet ,one above the other.. The soil/stench pipe connects upwards to above the Roof heaves and downward into the sewer... Coupled into the sewer also is a Gully trap drain to take sink and bath / shower wastes and from time to time , from that drain gully...

Bathroom sink wall pipe drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My house was built in early 70's.. No plastic.. I'm putting in a new sink and had to remove the wall pipe that goes into the wall.. I needed a longer one. It seem where it goes in behind the wall into the plumbing there was some type of gasket as pieces of it fell out when I removed the pipe.. I...

View more questions Search