Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sbgrind Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2008, 12:57 PM
    Declawing ? What age
    Hi we h just got a new kitten and I was wandering how old a cat has to be to get declawed
    daniellelynn Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2008, 02:42 PM

Instead of declawing you should try capping their claws.. heres a web site I found.. http://www.softpaws.com/faqs.html..or just Google it to find more sites.. its way more humane!
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2008, 04:47 PM

You should absolutely remove the idea of declawing from your mind. It's not at all what its pretty name makes one think. It's actually the process of cutting off the entire ends of its fingers. There are so many problems associated with this procedure that it would blow your mind. It's also extremely painful, cruel and unnecessary. The great majority of cat owners do not even consider this procedure. Get a scratching post or two. As he grows up, teach him to use it. Logs are also ideal. Also, you're talking about a kitten, which means that he/she hasn't even begun to show you that clawing is a problem.
    mp2dtw Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2008, 05:50 PM

I won't presume to tell you what you "should" do, as your first responses have. Have you asked your vet how long to wait before declawing? I have forgotten at what age I had it done. I've had three cats declawed (front and rear). Their lives seem no worse than any other cats. They were completely back to normal within a couple of days. They're perfectly capable of taking care of themselves outside--my first two lived to be 18 & 19 and the third is 5 going outdoors nearly every day with the bears, wildcats, wolves, rats, deer, pigs in lipstick and all. I think we've taken this "sensitivity" towards animals a bit far. I'd never have a cat with claws--especially with kids or when caring for a parent with dementia.

I'd like to know how the poster above has determined that it's "extremely painful, cruel, unnecessary" and that the majority don't. Anesthetics and pain killers are used. I've seen the furniture and curtains of people who insisted that declawing isn't needed. Should we buy cheap rubbish from Ikea and just replace it every year in their estimation? Most people I know have their cats declawed--but we Michiganders may just be odd that way.
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2008, 07:24 PM

If you have any sense whatsoever about training, you can teach a cat not to claw things its not supposed to. I have had many cats over the course of my entire life. With our last two persians, we wanted to declaw them. We thought declawing sounded like a lovely luxury. The cats were actually at their appointment, about to start the surgery, when the vet described the procedure to my father in detail. Now, my dad is a tough guy. But he did something I never would have imagined from him: he took the cats straight home. We never had a problem with them scratching things to pieces.

Sometimes there are valid reasons for declawing in extreme cases, or for medical reasons. However, we are talking about a new kitten, and other details have not been presented.

I certainly do not believe that suggesting the actual process of declawing, together with the state in which the cats are left, is inhumane is extreme in any way. There are inhumane practices in this world, and this happens to be one of them. It's actually illegal in many countries. mp2dtw, how would you do with the tops of all of your fingers and toes missing? Suggesting that the procedure is not painful is ludicrous. As anyone who has every had surgery performed on them knows, the time in surgery is not the painful part; the recovery most certainly is. By the way, letting a declawed cat out of the house is nothing less than irresponsible. That cat would be entirely incapable of defending itself in any dangerous situation. The fact that your cats were not killed does not mean you did the right thing, and I certainly wouldn't be recommending that poor advice to others.

Here is some information on the subject:

Written by Veterinarian, Dr. Christianne Schelling

"If you are considering declawing your cat, please read this. It will only take a moment, and it will give you valuable information to help you in your decision.

First, you should know that declawing is pretty much an American thing, it's something people do for their own convenience without realizing what actually happens to their beloved cat. In England declawing is termed "inhumane" and "unnecessary mutilation." I agree. In many European countries it is illegal. I applaud their attitude.

Before you make the decision to declaw your cat, there are some important facts you should know. Declawing is not like a manicure. It is serious surgery. Your cat's claw is not a toenail. It is actually closely adhered to the bone. So closely adhered that to remove the claw, the last bone of your the cat's claw has to be removed. Declawing is actually an amputation of the last joint of your cat's "toes". When you envision that, it becomes clear why declawing is not a humane act. It is a painful surgery, with a painful recovery period. And remember that during the time of recuperation from the surgery your cat would still have to use its feet to walk, jump, and scratch in its litter box regardless of the pain it is experiencing. Wheelchairs and bedpans are not an option for a cat.

No cat lover would doubt that cats--whose senses are much keener than ours--suffer pain. They may, however, hide it better. Not only are they proud, they instinctively know that they are at risk when in a weakened position, and by nature will attempt to hide it. But make no mistake. This is not a surgery to be taken lightly.

Your cat's body is perfectly designed to give it the grace, agility and beauty that is unique to felines. Its claws are an important part of this design. Amputating the important part of their anatomy that contains the claws drastically alters the conformation of their feet. The cat is also deprived of its primary means of defense, leaving it prey to predators if it ever escapes to the outdoors.

I have also had people tell me that their cat's personality changed after being declawed. Although, the medical community does not recognize this as potential side effect."

Additional information can be found at the site where this article is posted: DECLAWING: What You Need to Know

Please take a look at these important sites for more answers to your questions:

Cat Scratching Solutions

From wikipedia: Onychectomy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Examples of human medical conditions where declawing the person's cat is considered necessary include individuals with Acquired Immunodifficiency Virus, diabetics, cancer patients on chemotherapy, and organ transplant patients on anti-rejection medications. In such cases, the procedure of declawing a cat is accepted with more tolerance by veterinarians. It is considered more appropriate to respect the animal-human bond between the patient and the cat, than to take the cat away from the owner. [2] Although no precise figures are available, peer reviewed veterinary journal articles estimate that approximately 25% of domestic cats in North America have been declawed.[1]

Medical declawing is usually limited to the affected digit, whereas non-medical declawing is usually performed on all digits of the front paws, although some veterinarians will also perform declawing of the hind paws for non-medical reasons. Many veterinarians are very opposed and, in fact, will not perform declawing of the hind paws, even though they will declaw the front. Cats with all 4 paws having their nails removed are much more at risk of injury or death if they are let outdoors or manage to get outdoors. They also have a much more difficult time adjusting to their new required gait. Many cats that are used to climbing in the home, walking along the back of the sofa, jumping from the floor to a higher place, etc. lose their balance or fall for quite some time after a declawing of all four paws. [2]

Despite its prevalence in North America, no standard practices exist regarding the surgical techniques or cutting tools used, the administration of post-operative analgesics or other follow-up care, or the optimal age or other attributes of cats undergoing the procedure.[1]

A study of two different surgical techniques found that 16% of those who underwent joint amputation developed lameness while only 5% who underwent bone amputation did.[4] 22% of the first group and 16% of the second experienced reopened wound.

Declawing is uncommon outside North America, and laws governing its practice vary. Many European countries prohibit or significantly restrict the practice, as do parts of Australia, Brazil, Israel, New Zealand, Japan and Turkey. The list below gives an overview of the situation in different parts of the world."

The following is from: The Facts About Declawing

Complications
    Declawing is not without complication. The rate of complication is relatively high compared with other so-called routine procedures. Complications of this amputation can be excruciating pain, damage to the radial nerve, hemorrhage, bone chips that prevent healing, painful regrowth of deformed claw inside of the paw which is not visible to the eye, and chronic back and joint pain as shoulder, leg and back muscles weaken.

Other complications include postoperative hemorrhage, either immediate or following bandage removal is a fairly frequent occurrence, paw ischemia, lameness due to wound infection or footpad laceration, exposure necrosis of the second phalanx, and abscess associated with retention of portions of the third phalanx. Abscess due to regrowth must be treated by surgical removal of the remnant of the third phalanx and wound debridement. During amputation of the distal phalanx, the bone may shatter and cause what is called a sequestrum, which serves as a focus for infection, causing continuous drainage from the toe. This necessitates a second anesthesia and surgery. Abnormal growth of severed nerve ends can also occur, causing long-term, painful sensations in the toes. Infection will occasionally occur when all precautions have been taken.

"Declawing is actually an amputation of the last joint of your cat's "toes". When you envision that, it becomes clear why declawing is not a humane act. It is a painful surgery, with a painful recovery period. And remember that during the time of recuperation from the surgery your cat would still have to use its feet to walk, jump, and scratch in its litter box regardless of the pain it is experiencing."
    Christianne Schelling, DVM

"General anesthesia is used for this surgery, which always has a certain degree of risk of disability or death associated with it. Because declawing provides no medical benefits to cats, even slight risk can be considered unacceptable. In addition, the recovery from declawing can be painful and lengthy and may involve postoperative complications such as infections, hemorrhage, and nail regrowth. The latter may subject the cat to additional surgery." The Association of Veterinarians for Animal Rights (AVAR)

sbgrind, the most important thing is that you make an informed decision. Ultimately, it's up to you.

mp2dtw, I hope I have answered all of your questions as well, and I'd be happy to hear anything else you'd like to say on the subject.
    daniellelynn Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2008, 09:01 AM

mp2dtw.. like the last post said.. it's pretty much like ripping someone's fingernails off.. that wouldn't feel very nice to a human, so why would it be any diff. for a cat? Maybe you SHOULD think about it in that light. And I was saying they should TRY it out and gave them info. About it.. you know to look into other options.. I wasn't holding her down saying you must do this!

Sep 29, 2008, 08:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by daniellelynn View Post
    mp2dtw..like the last post said..it's pretty much like ripping someone's fingernails off..that wouldn't feel very nice to a human, so why would it be any diff. for a cat?? maybe you SHOULD think about it in that light. and i was saying they should TRY it out and gave them info. about it..you know to look into other options..i wasn't holding her down saying you must do this!!
    Maybe you SHOULD stop telling other people what they SHOULD do. It seems you're just as clueless as the rest of us.

Sep 29, 2008, 08:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by linnealand View Post
    if you have any sense whatsoever about training, you can teach a cat not to claw things its not supposed to. i have had many cats over the course of my entire life. with our last two persians, we wanted to declaw them. we thought declawing sounded like a lovely luxury. the cats were actually at their appointment, about to start the surgery, when the vet described the procedure to my father in detail. now, my dad is a tough guy. but he did something i never would have imagined from him: he took the cats straight home. we never had a problem with them scratching things to pieces.

sometimes there are valid reasons for declawing in extreme cases, or for medical reasons. however, we are talking about a new kitten, and other details have not been presented.

i certainly do not believe that suggesting the actual process of declawing, together with the state in which the cats are left, is inhumane is extreme in any way. there are inhumane practices in this world, and this happens to be one of them. it's actually illegal in many countries. mp2dtw, how would you do with the tops of all of your fingers and toes missing? suggesting that the procedure is not painful is ludicrous. as anyone who has every had surgery performed on them knows, the time in surgery is not the painful part; the recovery most certainly is. by the way, letting a declawed cat out of the house is nothing less than irresponsible. that cat would be entirely incapable of defending itself in any dangerous situation. the fact that your cats were not killed does not mean you did the right thing, and i certainly wouldn't be recommending that poor advice to others.

here is some information on the subject:

Written by Veterinarian, Dr. Christianne Schelling

"If you are considering declawing your cat, please read this. It will only take a moment, and it will give you valuable information to help you in your decision.

First, you should know that declawing is pretty much an American thing, it's something people do for their own convenience without realizing what actually happens to their beloved cat. In England declawing is termed "inhumane" and "unnecessary mutilation." I agree. In many European countries it is illegal. I applaud their attitude.

Before you make the decision to declaw your cat, there are some important facts you should know. Declawing is not like a manicure. It is serious surgery. Your cat's claw is not a toenail. It is actually closely adhered to the bone. So closely adhered that to remove the claw, the last bone of your the cat's claw has to be removed. Declawing is actually an amputation of the last joint of your cat's "toes". When you envision that, it becomes clear why declawing is not a humane act. It is a painful surgery, with a painful recovery period. And remember that during the time of recuperation from the surgery your cat would still have to use its feet to walk, jump, and scratch in its litter box regardless of the pain it is experiencing. Wheelchairs and bedpans are not an option for a cat.

No cat lover would doubt that cats--whose senses are much keener than ours--suffer pain. They may, however, hide it better. Not only are they proud, they instinctively know that they are at risk when in a weakened position, and by nature will attempt to hide it. But make no mistake. This is not a surgery to be taken lightly.

Your cat's body is perfectly designed to give it the grace, agility and beauty that is unique to felines. Its claws are an important part of this design. Amputating the important part of their anatomy that contains the claws drastically alters the conformation of their feet. The cat is also deprived of its primary means of defense, leaving it prey to predators if it ever escapes to the outdoors.

I have also had people tell me that their cat's personality changed after being declawed. Although, the medical community does not recognize this as potential side effect."

additional information can be found at the site where this article is posted: DECLAWING: What You Need to Know

please take a look at these important sites for more answers to your questions:

Cat Scratching Solutions

from wikipedia: Onychectomy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Examples of human medical conditions where declawing the person's cat is considered necessary include individuals with Acquired Immunodifficiency Virus, diabetics, cancer patients on chemotherapy, and organ transplant patients on anti-rejection medications. In such cases, the procedure of declawing a cat is accepted with more tolerance by veterinarians. It is considered more appropriate to respect the animal-human bond between the patient and the cat, than to take the cat away from the owner. [2] Although no precise figures are available, peer reviewed veterinary journal articles estimate that approximately 25% of domestic cats in North America have been declawed.[1]

Medical declawing is usually limited to the affected digit, whereas non-medical declawing is usually performed on all digits of the front paws, although some veterinarians will also perform declawing of the hind paws for non-medical reasons. Many veterinarians are very opposed and, in fact, will not perform declawing of the hind paws, even though they will declaw the front. Cats with all 4 paws having their nails removed are much more at risk of injury or death if they are let outdoors or manage to get outdoors. They also have a much more difficult time adjusting to their new required gait. Many cats that are used to climbing in the home, walking along the back of the sofa, jumping from the floor to a higher place, etc. lose their balance or fall for quite some time after a declawing of all four paws. [2]

Despite its prevalence in North America, no standard practices exist regarding the surgical techniques or cutting tools used, the administration of post-operative analgesics or other follow-up care, or the optimal age or other attributes of cats undergoing the procedure.[1]

A study of two different surgical techniques found that 16% of those who underwent joint amputation developed lameness while only 5% who underwent bone amputation did.[4] 22% of the first group and 16% of the second experienced reopened wound.

Declawing is uncommon outside North America, and laws governing its practice vary. Many European countries prohibit or significantly restrict the practice, as do parts of Australia, Brazil, Israel, New Zealand, Japan and Turkey. The list below gives an overview of the situation in different parts of the world."

the following is from: The Facts About Declawing

Complications
    Declawing is not without complication. The rate of complication is relatively high compared with other so-called routine procedures. Complications of this amputation can be excruciating pain, damage to the radial nerve, hemorrhage, bone chips that prevent healing, painful regrowth of deformed claw inside of the paw which is not visible to the eye, and chronic back and joint pain as shoulder, leg and back muscles weaken.

Other complications include postoperative hemorrhage, either immediate or following bandage removal is a fairly frequent occurrence, paw ischemia, lameness due to wound infection or footpad laceration, exposure necrosis of the second phalanx, and abscess associated with retention of portions of the third phalanx. Abscess due to regrowth must be treated by surgical removal of the remnant of the third phalanx and wound debridement. During amputation of the distal phalanx, the bone may shatter and cause what is called a sequestrum, which serves as a focus for infection, causing continuous drainage from the toe. This necessitates a second anesthesia and surgery. Abnormal growth of severed nerve ends can also occur, causing long-term, painful sensations in the toes. Infection will occasionally occur when all precautions have been taken.

"Declawing is actually an amputation of the last joint of your cat's "toes". When you envision that, it becomes clear why declawing is not a humane act. It is a painful surgery, with a painful recovery period. And remember that during the time of recuperation from the surgery your cat would still have to use its feet to walk, jump, and scratch in its litter box regardless of the pain it is experiencing."
    Christianne Schelling, DVM

"General anesthesia is used for this surgery, which always has a certain degree of risk of disability or death associated with it. Because declawing provides no medical benefits to cats, even slight risk can be considered unacceptable. In addition, the recovery from declawing can be painful and lengthy and may involve postoperative complications such as infections, hemorrhage, and nail regrowth. The latter may subject the cat to additional surgery." The Association of Veterinarians for Animal Rights (AVAR)

sbgrind, the most important thing is that you make an informed decision. ultimately, it's up to you.

mp2dtw, i hope i have answered all of your questions as well, and i'd be happy to hear anything else you'd like to say on the subject.
    I'm pleased for you that you've reached a conclusion with which you're comfortable. However, it isn't the only legitimate conclusion. It isn't the right solution for everyone. To presume to know what the right solution for others is or what they should do is ridiculous.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 29, 2008, 09:10 PM

Okay, my two cents.

If you get a cat then be prepared for it to claw or teach it not to. If you decide to get your cat declawed, then be prepared to have all your finger nails ripped out with pliers.

Of course, it will be less painful for you, and your nails will grow back, but maybe then you'll understand some of the pain the cat is going through.

This is not the removal of nails, this is an amputation, and it hurts. To think otherwise is ludicrous.

If you can't handle the clawing then get an animal that doesn't claw. :(
    Ultra Member

Sep 30, 2008, 04:27 AM

Quote Originally Posted by mp2dtw View Post
    I'm pleased for you that you've reached a conclusion with which you're comfortable. However, it isn't the only legitimate conclusion. It isn't the right solution for everyone. To presume to know what the right solution for others is or what they should do is ridiculous.
    Mp2dtw, if I decide that it would be more convenient for me to have a cat with two legs, can I decide to have the other two amputated for non-medical reasons?

Because this is a procedure that is still legal in the states, it is still a matter both of facts and opinions. I've included both.

From the way you phrased your last attack on me, it appears that actual research means nothing to you.

sbgrind, the most important thing is that you make an informed decision. Ultimately, it's up to you.

Mp2dtw, I hope I have answered all of your questions as well, and I'd be happy to hear anything else you'd like to say on the subject.
    This quote is from my last post. Does this sound like someone being forced into something? I thought my wording was actually quite kind.

But if you do want my real opinion, mp2dtw, perhaps one might be better suited for owning a goldfish if they don't like the way cats are born. If they have a dog, should they have its teeth removed so it can't bite? Why not remove its bladder so it can't pee in your house? Then why not have it undergo complete electrolysis so it won't shed? Do you see what I'm saying?

What I haven't heard from you is any research that explains why a cat must be declawed. What I have heard are attacks on the other posters. Daniellelynn gave her opinion, and she again specified that she's not telling the OP that he has to follow it. You attacked that, too. If you're going to criticize someone, make it against something they actually said.
    kittykat24 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2008, 08:57 AM

Declawing is safe! The vet that I have is awesome and he thinks that it is OK. They give the cats medication so it only hurts a bit and if your worried about it changing your cats attitude it won't no cat is going to sit around and look at his paws and say " o man i used to have claws and now i do not i am going to be mean" This is what I think but you should do whatever is best for you!
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2008, 11:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kittykat24 View Post
    declawing is safe! the vet that i have is awesome and he thinks that it is ok. They give the cats medication so it only hurts a bit and if your worried about it changing your cats attitude it won't no cat is going to sit around and look at his paws and say " o man i used to have claws and now i do not i am going to be mean" This is what i think but you should do whatever is best for you!
    I guess we just didn't realize that your vet, who's awesome, says it's okay. Then it must be okay, right? I guess I don't know what I was thinking! This is going to be great. Honestly, I am sorry for the sarcasm, but I don't understand the reasoning going on here. How about thinking about what's best for the cat? Also, I don't think anyone was suggesting that cat's talk like cartoons (i.e. "oh my hands, i hate you, i wish i could scratch your eyes out; if only i had my claws!"). Did you read all of the information provided in the other posts? It might surprise you, and not in a good way.
    morfias3042 Posts: 12, Reputation: 3

Oct 26, 2008, 01:25 PM

It's not usually a good idea to de-claw a cat. They can become very aggressive, and will use what they have left to show it. Just stick to keeping them trimmed, and this can be done at any age, whenever they get to long or sharp.
    kittykat24 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2008, 07:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by linnealand View Post
    I guess we just didn't realize that your vet, who's awesome, says it's okay. Then it must be okay, right? I guess I don't know what I was thinking! This is going to be great. Honestly, I am sorry for the sarcasm, but I don't understand the reasoning going on here. How about thinking about what's best for the cat? Also, I don't think anyone was suggesting that cat's talk like cartoons (i.e. "oh my hands, i hate you, i wish i could scratch your eyes out; if only i had my claws!"). Did you read all of the information provided in the other posts? It might surprise you, and not in a good way.
    First of all, is a vet not the best to ask?? I mean, really, am I supposed to become a cat psychic and talk to my cat about this surgery (that in the long run will not hurt that much)?? My sister's best friend is sitting next to me and she is a genius and she thinks it is fine. Do not worry about the sarcasm, I like it, however you are not very skilled at it, but keep trying. I am sorry for being mean, but I do not appreciate you acting as if I am dumb and did not do reseach. By the way, the cartoon thing did not make sense. No, a cat is not a cartoon, but I did not say that. Cats do not have hands, they have paws and I did not mention in any part that the cat wanted to hurt anyone. Thank you for reading this and please do right back; I am enjoying proving my piont in this argument. :)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 24, 2008, 07:24 PM
    First of all, is a vet not the best to ask??? I mean, really, am I supposed to become a cat psychic and talk to my cat about this surgery (that in the long run will not hurt that much)??? My sister's best friend is sitting next to me and she is a genius and she thinks it is fine. Do not worry about the sarcasm, I like it, however you are not very skilled at it, but keep trying. I am sorry for being mean, but i do not appreciate you acting as if i am dumb and did not do reseach. By the way, the cartoon thing did not make sense. No, a cat is not a cartoon, but i did not say that. Cats do not have hands, they have paws and I did not mention in any part that the cat wanted to hurt anyone. Thank you for reading this and please do right back; I am enjoying proving my piont in this argument. :)
    I've had cats all my life. None were ever declawed because I took the time and had the patience to teach them how to use a scratching post, a rolled-up inside-out carpet, and some other homemade objects to scratch on when they felt the need.

Cats who've been declawed have to relearn to walk because their claws and a third of each toe is missing. I'm a cat shelter volunteer and see a regular stream of dumped declawed cats. One of our policies is that a person adopting a normal cat must never declaw it.

Oh, yeah. I'm a genius too and even have a membership card to prove it. Plus I have lots of experience with cats. Please don't declaw. Karma will eventually catch up to you.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 24, 2008, 07:36 PM
    First of all, is a vet not the best to ask??? I mean, really, am I supposed to become a cat psychic and talk to my cat about this surgery (that in the long run will not hurt that much)??? My sister's best friend is sitting next to me and she is a genius and she thinks it is fine. Do not worry about the sarcasm, I like it, however you are not very skilled at it, but keep trying. I am sorry for being mean, but i do not appreciate you acting as if i am dumb and did not do reseach. By the way, the cartoon thing did not make sense. No, a cat is not a cartoon, but i did not say that. Cats do not have hands, they have paws and I did not mention in any part that the cat wanted to hurt anyone. Thank you for reading this and please do right back; I am enjoying proving my piont in this argument. :)

Some vets are only in it for the money and will do any procedure that's requested of them. These vets don't care about the animals, only the profit. Sadly, there are many out there.

Is your genius friend a vetrenarian? A doctor? Is she even done high school? If not, then she has nothing to add. Being a genius doesn't mean you know everything.

You have the right to your opinion, but I suggest that you do your research before lipping off a highly respected member of this site. You won't get anywhere with this course of action.

If you were right then I'd support you, but you aren't right. Do what you want with your pets, we can't stop you, but stop telling someone that an unnecessary, painful operation is okay just because you don't want to feel guilty for putting your cat through that.
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2008, 07:02 PM
    :D what? Are we having a reunion? I am also a member of the fancy brain society that starts with "M" and ends in "ensa." exciting! Some of us are designers. We also love libraries--and everyone in them. :) nice, wondergirl!

First of all, is a vet not the best to ask?? I mean, really, am I supposed to become a cat psychic and talk to my cat about this surgery (that in the long run will not hurt that much)?? My sister's best friend is sitting next to me and she is a genius and she thinks it is fine. Do not worry about the sarcasm, I like it, however you are not very skilled at it, but keep trying. I am sorry for being mean, but I do not appreciate you acting as if I am dumb and did not do reseach. By the way, the cartoon thing did not make sense. No, a cat is not a cartoon, but I did not say that. Cats do not have hands, they have paws and I did not mention in any part that the cat wanted to hurt anyone. Thank you for reading this and please do right back; I am enjoying proving my piont in this argument. :)
    I realize that you are enjoying yourself, and it's almost kind of cute. At the same time, declawing is not cute.

Just so you understand, this isn't about trying to make you feel guilty for having declawed cats. I'm also assuming that you're too young to have been responsible for the decision that was made. What this is about is put the information and research out there.

I don't think you have to be psychic to predict that undergoing any medically unnecessary surgery in which the tips of your fingers are chopped off at the bone is less pleasant than learning to use a scratching post.

Have you read all of the information and follow the links posted on the previous page of this thread? I find it hard to argue against all of those facts and figures.

I can appreciate the fact that your sister's best friend thinks it's fine, but using the opinion of the person that happens to be sitting next to you at the time is generally not considered an expert resource concerning a serious discussion based on facts. Does she also have an opinion on brain surgery that she would like to share? My sister's best friend says it's not fine. Now what do we do? :( I don't know if our teachers will let us use them as a source. You can try it, but... :) okay. Is my sarcasm getting any better? :D I wanted to make you laugh one last time.

... I did not mention in any part that the cat wanted to hurt anyone.
    By the way, the cartoon thing did not make sense. No, a cat is not a cartoon, but I did not say that.
    I'm not in the habit of putting an idea out if there's no basis for it. What's this?
    ... if your worried about it changing your cats attitude it won't no cat is going to sit around and look at his paws and say " o man i used to have claws and now i do not i am going to be mean"...
    Tada.
    So... have you ever seen a really weird and strangely plastic-looking face who got that way from a dozen cosmetic surgeries? Have you ever asked yourself what kind of doctor would think it to be a good idea to perform all of those surgeries on someone (assuming, of course, that it has all been done on someone who started with a perfectly normal face)? Well, there are doctors out there who can jump through a couple of extra hoops to justify these things to themselves enough for them to be able to do it. The same thing can happen with vets and medically unnecessary procedures, including declawing a perfectly healthy and normal cat. Money is a motivation. There are also many vets who will do things for an extra buck. Yuck. It's true.

Well, I hope I've made my point this time. I think this is attempt number 108332. I'm done.
    trmpldonagn Posts: 252, Reputation: 15

Dec 7, 2008, 05:16 PM

Madonne! You guys are funny. You're really cracking me up. But seriously MP, I don't know how your cats lived to be of that age considering they were outdoor cats and were declawed. I'm very happy to hear they lived that long. That's wonderful.

Dear G, please don't declaw the kitty. Mine is an indoor cat. I won't declaw her though because she loves to play too much in which she uses her claws. I have her trained pretty good and G forbid she ever gets out (again), she'll be able to defend herself. For all of the reasons already presented to you, I sure wish you wouldn't do it but no one can tell you what to do. Good luck and give kitty LOTS O' LOVE.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Declawing kitten [ 42 Answers ]

How old does she have to be until she can be declawed? She's 2 and 1/2 months old now

View more questions Search