Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    R Jobling Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2008, 08:44 AM
    Difference between hourly and salaried staff
    Are there any other differences between hourly and salaried staff, apart from the way in which they are paid?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 28, 2008, 09:08 AM
    Hourly is paid for only the time they work in an eight hour day. For instance, if they are only working five hours, that is what they get paid for. But if you ae a salaried employee you get paid for the entire eight hours whether you are there or not.
    xoxaprilwine Posts: 582, Reputation: 71

Sep 28, 2008, 09:11 AM
    Well salary means that an employee gets paid a certain amount annually and can work up to 45 hours a week legally without employer paying over-time (in Canada anyhow). Hourly well, you get paid hourly according to your hours (20-40 hrs week). Any over-time is paid for and after 8 hours is considered overtime, after 10 it time and a half. Salary varies upon employer and your agreement with them regarding overtime pay and working stat holiday's but they can technically work you 45 without paying you overtime... guaranteed amount unless there are arrangements made or you have taken all your vacation/sick and personal days... then it goes unpaid regardless. No real difference but I did like getting paid hourly I found much more flexibility with my schedule... only you will have to have time authorized by hr.
    Expert

Sep 28, 2008, 11:10 AM
    So what is the difference really,aprilwine, between your description and mine?
    Hourly is paid only hours you work (I am hourly and have been salaried over the years too). Salary guarnteed amount. Only difference is I said 'whether you are there or not' meaning, basically stat holidays. Salaried get paid for them.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2008, 01:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Hourly is paid for only the time they work in an eight hour day. For instance, if they are only working five hours, that is what they get paid for. But if you ae a salaried employee you get paid for the entire eight hours whether you are there or not.

Not in my area - part time people are on salary. Salary does not mean an 8 hour day.

Salaried people are also not necessarily paid for sick days, personal days, vacation days, leaving early.

Salaried people are also - in most cases - precluded from being paid overtime, which is why employers are pushing to have more and more people named salaried employees. The Government doesn't always agree.
    Expert

Sep 28, 2008, 01:50 PM
    JKT, I have been working since I was l8 in Ontario. Salaried employees here work an 8 hour day. I was always paid for sick days, stat holidays, my vacation was always paid because, mainly, a certain percentage was deducted from my weekly pay check to accommodate that. My yearly salary, quoted to me on hiring, most times, was per year and that is exactly what I got, less deductions for OHIP, Canada Pension, Unempoyment Insurance, etc.

I am not disputing your post, just pointing out what my experience has been here across the border.
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2008, 02:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    JKT, I have been working since I was l8 in Ontario. Salaried employees here work an 8 hour day. I was always paid for sick days, stat holidays, my vacation was always paid because, mainly, a certain percentage was deducted from my weekly pay check to accomodate that. My yearly salary, quoted to me on hiring, most times, was per year and that is exactly what I got, less deductions for OHIP, Canada Pension, Unempoyment Insurance, etc.

I am not disputing your post, just pointing out what my experience has been here across the border.

And I have been working in NYS since I was 16 - salaried employees here, in the US, don't work 8 hour days. They work as many hours per day as they are hired to work - full time, part time. My bookkeeper is salaried and works 24 hours a week.

And I'm also not arguing with you - we're in different Countries. I don't know where the OP is.

I have managed offices where salaried employees were paid for "X" sick days a year, not as many as they wanted/needed. Same with vacation and personal days. Canada is apparently far more liberal as far as vacation, sick, personal time off than I have experienced "here."

I have never deducted a percentage from weekly paychecks to cover vacations - salaried employees paid by the year got the same amount every week during employment or periods of qualified/approved vacation.

And the differences are what makes the board go around.

Sep 28, 2008, 02:51 PM
    I have worked both and I get salary now. I work full time... part timers are usually put you on hourly... why invest in a pt employee? Anyhow I never said that salary was an 8 hour day thing, I said, that they can make you work up to 45 without legally paying you until its considered overtime. In Canada employer should pay overtime past 8 hours but they don't have to unless it goes past 45 hours a week... talk about a loop in the system? I have all those days mentioned above (I have 10 sick days, 5 personal days and 14 days vacation annually paid) and get salary. Basically if I am sick a day I can take any one of those days... we don't work stats ever and if do has to be approved by the team lead and hr. So tickle I wasn't disagreeing with you wholly I just said "it depends on the employer" everyone should look at company policy prior to signing and in comparison with the government site for clear answers to questions. I don't think there are remarkable differences across the boarder but every company has their policy and if you sign off on the employment agreement then you have agreed to their terms. Check out www.gov.ca and go under Employment Standards and Labour Law.

Sep 28, 2008, 03:06 PM
    I looked at this writers profile... where are you from? It would be nice if you can clarify if your from USA or Canada? Hey JudyKayTee, correct me if I am wrong is this the site USA.gov: The U.S. Government's Official Web Portal If it is, search under Employment Standards (ESA) or US Department of Labor... better to get the facts straight.
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2008, 03:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by xoxaprilwine View Post
    I looked at this writers profile...where are you from? It would be nice if you can clarify if your from USA or Canada? Hey JudyKayTee, correct me if I am wrong is this the site USA.gov: The U.S. Government's Official Web Portal If it is, search under Employment Standards (ESA) or US Department of Labor...better to get the facts straight.

Unless you quote the post it is difficult to understand who is being addressed.

I am in NYS - if you're talking to me. I have no idea where the OP is from.

I simply don't have the time to read the entire site you have posted - please post what your research indicates, cut and paste the section. I personally would read the State law first and the Federal law second.

What facts don't I have straight - ? I'm always happy to learn and if I'm wrong, I certainly will apologize.

As far as why would a part-time employee be a salaried employee? Because I want a loyal employee and I offer benefits and that works for her and it works for me.

Sep 28, 2008, 03:47 PM
    Well if I say "writer" I usually mean the individual making the post but I suppose that could be read as obscure. (Most don't question that term its usually a given what I am implying, though there are many writers answering the original post) The "writer" or the person making the post does not designate where they are from as on our profiles. Hard to address a question if we don't know what region they are from.

JudyKayTee, see that's what I am getting at! In Canada we have Employment Standards that govern "most provinces" except for maybe Quebec, Manitoba and Ontario sometimes Saskatchewan. But it states all that in our ESA which makes it user friendly for any lay person asking questions. Upon my review of the US site it appears it works similar but States run off different Jurisdictions so complicated for me to vouch for US and that was exactly why I indicated to you directly to correct me if I was wrong. :)
    keenmachinist Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2008, 04:00 PM
    I work at the Halifax shipyard's, I was given the choice of hourly or salary, I chose hourly because of the overtime that comes with the job. My boss is salary and he is told to come in to work on saturday's, and is not paid. However I bet his salary would be close to what I make a year. I would rather be paid while I'm there then not.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 28, 2008, 04:05 PM

Well of course in the US, you can't be given a choice of hourly or salary normally since a position has to be one or the other, if one person doing that is salary all people doing that job will have to be salary, Also there are specific requirements as to what jobs can be, supervisors, skilled labor and so on.
    mp2dtw Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2008, 06:03 PM

You can see that people will go back and forth about which one is better or makes it easier for "other people" to be lazy or whatever, but I don't think that that was your question.

Most corporations for which I've worked give better health, retirement and holiday benefits to salaried workers. The paid holiday benefits tend to be on paper only, though, because I've seen many more salaried people denied paid time off than hourly people. The only exceptions I've seen to salaried workers having better benefits are when hourly employees are affiliated with a union.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2008, 10:28 PM

Basically, salaried employees don't get paid overtime. In one case, a group of us was.
    Salaried employees may be "paid to get the job done". Meet deadlines, write reports, make presentations all on time etc. They don't get paid extra for this. They MAY, with permission, be allowed to take it as comp time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hourly rate of a salaried employee [ 2 Answers ]

I am needing to figure out an employee's hourly rate by taking his total income from last year, and divide or multiply it by 52 and times or divide by 12... HELP I can't figure out the math... :eek:

Salaried vs hourly [ 1 Answers ]

My question regarding wages. If one is on salary, (set wages), then does that employee also get paid for any sick time? Or is that left up to the discretions of the employer? If an employee is on an hourly then I presume sick time is deducted.

Salaried vs Hourly [ 2 Answers ]

I am an administrative RN (ie Monday/Friday, 40 hours a week), however I am often asked to work extra shifts when the staff is short. I am currently an hourly employee so I am compensated for the extra time. My Administrator is making all admin nurses salaried. Shouldn't we expect a substantial...

Difference between salaried and hourly wage status [ 3 Answers ]

What is the difference between salaried and hourly wage status?

Labor Law in New Hampshire, Salaried vs Hourly [ 3 Answers ]

My question is: If an employer put someone on salary,(supervisor/manager), can that position be taken away from him/her for no reason given? Can a salaried person have his salaried position taken away and put on hourly wages if he/she has had that salaried position for more than 2 years?

View more questions Search