Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HolBen 103 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2008, 02:34 AM
    Leaking waste pipe!
    I have just discovered a leak from my bathroom waste pipe. I can see the problem, which is it is connected to the much larger rainwater waste pipe. When I say connected, I mean it rests in the bigger pipe and the gap around the smaller pipe has been filled with what looks like flexible filler.

My question is, what is the best way to connect these two different size pipes together ( bearing in mind one is plastic and one is cast iron) so as to ensure a watertight fit?

:confused:
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 28, 2008, 05:50 AM
    I have just discovered a leak from my bathroom waste pipe. I can see the problem, which is it is connected to the much larger rainwater waste pipe.
    In my area, and many others, it's illegal to put anything into nbthe city sewer except sewage and gray water. You might want to check with your Building Department.
    My question is, what is the best way to connect these two different size pipes together ( bearing in mind one is plastic and one is cast iron) so as to ensure a watertight fit?
    That woulld be a Duel-Tite Gasket called a Neoprene Doughnut , (see image).
    This gasket fits inside the bell of the cast iron and after greasing both the PVC and the doughnut is pushed in by levering it in with a Johnson Bar or shovel. If both the PVC and cast Iron's ends are bald you may use a No-Hub Band,(see image) to connect the two. Good luck, Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 28, 2008, 08:30 AM

In my area it is illegal to connect rain water drain with sewer drain, too. Do you smell sewer around that area ?

Best way to connect those two is to cut the sewer line, insert "Y" fitting, connect this fitting with No-Hub couplings - and than connect your rain drain to it with Flex-Seal coupling.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathtub waste and overflow leaking [ 1 Answers ]

I had a plumber come out and he told me upstairs bathtub was leaking due to waste and overflow. Wants to charge about $1000.00 to fix. We are desperate to try and save money. Is there any way that we could do this ourselves? We're pretty handy. I understand it takes two people to do the job. Can...

Leaking cast iron waste pipe [ 3 Answers ]

First, my thanks to those who answered my last question. I epoxied the pipe and covered it with mastik. Still a few small drips but I think another coat will fix the problems. Sink drains fine, tub drains fine, toilet is the one that causes the drips. My thinking is that the waste pipe has a...

Leaking cast iron waste pipe [ 5 Answers ]

I have an old house. There is a 4" cast iron waste pipe that services the bathroom in the middle of the house. It has cracked across the top of the horizontal pipe in the basement right past the joint that connects the vertical to the horizontal. The length of pipe between the collars is about...

Replace Lead Pipe from Toilet to Hubless Waste Pipe [ 3 Answers ]

My house is a craftsman style house from 1912 in Oakland, California. I have a big hole in a 24" horizontal lead pipe that bends at 90 degrees and connects the only toilet in the house to the hubless waste pipe. How do I go about removing the lead pipe? (What tools do I need and what type of...

View more questions Search