Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hollylovesbrandon Posts: 633, Reputation: 78

Sep 27, 2008, 05:28 PM
    Best type of birth control
    What is the best method of birth control to use when you are high risk for breast cancer? ( my mother had it) I am currently using the pill.
    mommyv Posts: 55, Reputation: 4

Sep 27, 2008, 06:06 PM

This is probably a question you should talk to your dr about because only the two of you can decide in a case such as this what is best. But in case you were wondering, the best type of birth control is not to have sex. I just had to say it!
    katrinayukiko Posts: 6, Reputation: 3

Sep 27, 2008, 06:08 PM

There are supposedly links to breast cancer and the pill but they are very weak ones... breast cancer is so common now, we can't really say that it is linked to the pill... breast cancer is more genetic.. so keep fit and healthy. And don't smoke...
    3 types of birth control I recommend
    1. is a condom! There the best type as they protect you from sti's and hiv unlike any other birth control... but they can possibly split.. leading to the need of the morning after pill. Which isn't paticually good for you at all and there is a limit on how many times you should take it.
    2. The one I personally use is the mini pill microgynon 20.means you still have a regular period and keeps your cycle.you only have to take it once a day round about the same hour for 21 days... have a 7 day break in which you have your period and then you return to taking them again. I would not take the pill if you are very young as tit causes unbalance of hormones in the body, it isn't good to be pumped with chemicals... also it does take a while to get used to them.. about 3 months for me.
    3. the injection administored by a doctor... don't quite know how long it keeps you protected for but I think its quite a while... no worrying about pills and things, a quick prick and you good to go. This can however mess up you menustral cyle.

!remember though before you use birth control other than a condom that both you and your partner should be fully checked for sti's!

Sep 27, 2008, 06:50 PM

Well, a little background would be helpful I guess. I am married (only EVER been with my husband and same for him with me). I am 22 and to be honest I do no worry about STD's and HIV because of the only partner thing. My husband and I do not want children right now but he and I both don't want to use a condom. I have considered the shot because of the time it lasts but I am just scared of the effects of the breast cancer. Also, I have been on 4 different pills so far and none of them have regulated my cycle. I just do not have a 28 day cycle... I have like a 30 day cycle. No matter what pill it won't make my cycle 28 days. I hope this information helps with your answers. And any answers are appreciated.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 27, 2008, 06:53 PM
    One question I have to ask is did your mother have estrogen receptive breast cancer?

Also, you have good questions to ask your doctor. This all should be brought up with him/her rather than here on a public board where you are going to get opinions rather than recommendations from people with real medical background.

As you know, I am a nurse, I am also a breast cancer survivor and I would not place my health in the hands of people who believe that they are doing well by advising you on such a serious condition.

Please make an appointment with your doctor to discuss this.

Sep 27, 2008, 07:06 PM

I would prefer not to have to consult a doctor about this because I do not have medical insurance. I do however go to a Planned Parenthood in my area and the physician there does know me quite well. Maybe I should ask her. Anyway, J-9 I would value your opinion.

I am not quite sure what the difference is in the Breast Cancers. I know my mom got her cancer in her limphnodes (sp?)
    Expert

Sep 27, 2008, 07:13 PM
    I understand not having insurance, as I did not until last month myself. However, taking advice from people with no medical background could be very dangerous to your health. We are not doctors and, as such, cannot give advice in a situation as serious as this as it would be practicing out of our scope of practice. Whatever advice you get here should be taken with a grain of salt.

Now, there are different types of breast cancer. Mine for instance was estrogen receptive, which basically means that increased estrogen can cause the cancer to grow or metastisize, so I could not use ANY form of hormonal birth control as it contains estrogen.

Since your mother had metastatic breast cancer (in the lymph nodes or beyond) (the kind that spreads), this makes it more of a serious issue that needs to be discussed with a medical professional and not a public board.

Sep 27, 2008, 07:15 PM

Yes, it did spread to her bones, then her liver, then her lungs and eventually killed her, which is why I am scared. I am only 22 and I feel as if my fate has already been sealed with this. I tell my husband and he thinks I am over reacting. I believe I will call my planned parenthood on Monday and set up an appointment for my next days off work. Thank you all for all your help.
    Expert

Sep 27, 2008, 07:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hollylovesbrandon View Post
    yes, it did spread to her bones, then her liver, then her lungs and eventually killed her, which is why I am scared. I am only 22 and I feel as if my fate has already been sealed with this. I tell my husband and he thinks I am over reacting. I believe I will call my planned parenthood on monday and set up an appointment for my next days off of work. Thank you all for all your help.
    You see, this is the MAIN reason why you should NOT be getting advice via the general public with very little if any experience in this matter.

As you see, I AM a cancer survivor and I am advising you to seek medical advice rather than giving my opinion on your particular situation. All situations are different.

Hun, you have every right to be scared, but your fate has not necessarily been sealed. However, I don't know how much Planned Parenthood can help you. They specialize in pregnancy and pregnancy related issues, but can possibly point you in an affordable direction.

Sep 27, 2008, 07:25 PM

Thank you!
    Expert

Sep 27, 2008, 07:27 PM
    You are very welcome.
    Hazel1220 Posts: 102, Reputation: 13

Sep 28, 2008, 12:21 AM

Well I suggest staying AWAY from the shot. I was on it and it made me crazy. So many chemcials being pumped into your body at one time cannot be good for you. Really I mean it was bad. No control over emotions it was a bad rollarcoaster. IT IS TERRIBLE! I have heard great things about the Nuva Ring. I hear it is easy to use, you don't feel it, it stays in place AND it has less hormonal affect on your because it is placed on your cervix so it is almost a topical birth control and not one you ingest that circulates through your body . Stay away from Depo Provera. Also I bleed really heavy really really heavy while I was on it and they had to put me on Premerin (menopause) medicine to regulate what the birth control was messing up, and I was only 18. So it will screw with your body way too much. Check out the Nuva Ring.
    spyderglass Posts: 434, Reputation: 34

Sep 28, 2008, 06:07 PM

I'm a fan on the IUD or IUC... whatever they are calling it right now. Something without the hormones in it. Not Mirena...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Birth Control causes birth defects? [ 1 Answers ]

So I take Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo and was reading some info about it and noticed that it said you should not take it if you are pregnant (obviously!) because it causes birth defects. So then I started wondering, what if you are taking it and for some reason it doesn't work and you end up pregnant (as...

Birth Control [ 1 Answers ]

Is it all right to start Birth Control Pills before I have my monthly cycle?

Birth Control [ 1 Answers ]

I have stopped taking my birth control pill yasmin back in June of 2005, I have been trying to get pregnant ever since. How long does it take for everything to go back to normal when you stop taking the pill . Im really worried that there might be something wrong cause I haven't gotten pregnant yet

Birth Control: [ 61 Answers ]

What is God's will regarding the use of birth control? HANK :)

View more questions Search