Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    moonlite Posts: 90, Reputation: 3

Sep 26, 2008, 05:15 PM
    Father's death benefit
    My father worked for a big chain for a long time until he passed away in 1996. In a recent family gathering, the issue of his death benefit came up and we realized that nobody ever filed a claim for it. We have no clue whether this benefit was paid off and if so when and to whom. So we called the benefit office and were told that they will get back to us in writing. It's been over two weeks now and we have not heard a thing. We believe that my father is indeed entitled to have his death benefit paid to his surviving wife. Do we have to retain a lawyer for this ? How can I force this employer to come forward with all the facts without having to spend money on hiring a lawyer ? Thanks.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2008, 05:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by moonlite View Post
    My father worked for a big chain for a long time until he passed away in 1996. In a recent family gathering, the issue of his death benefit came up and we realized that nobody ever filed a claim for it. We have no clue whether this benefit was paid off and if so when and to whom. So we called the benefit office and were told that they will get back to us in writing. It's been over two weeks now and we have not heard a thing. We believe that my father is indeed entitled to have his death benefit paid to his surviving wife. Do we have to retain a lawyer for this ? How can I force this employer to come forward with all the facts without having to spend money on hiring a lawyer ? Thanks.

I'd give them some time to locate their records and respond to you in writing. Two weeks is not a terribly long time when you're dealing with a corporate office.

It would appear that you have no standing here - the inquuiry should have been made by his surviving spouse and the information should be sent to her. That might be the delay.
    moonlite Posts: 90, Reputation: 3

Sep 26, 2008, 09:33 PM
    Sorry, I should have mentioned also that my mother is elderly and can't do anything on her own - which is why she gave me a Power-of-Attorney to handle this matter on her behalf. Thanks for your advice. I will give them more time I guess.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2008, 07:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by moonlite View Post
    Sorry, I should have mentioned also that my mother is elderly and can't do anything on her own - which is why she gave me a Power-of-Attorney to handle this matter on her behalf. Thanks for your advice. I will give them more time I guess.

If you only called and asked for the info I'd follow up in writing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Death Benefit [ 3 Answers ]

Hello! My great grandmother recently passed away and I will be receiving a death benefit (nothing huge, I think it is around $2500.00 after her other beneficiaries got their cut) from her teacher retirement. Will this be taxed, and if so what is the going tax rate for something like that?

Father's Death now Distancing [ 1 Answers ]

I have been in a relationship with a man for over 2 years. It has been a loving relationship with little problems. We discussed marriage, etc. His father recently passed away unexpectedly. A week later, he found out his mother has cancer and has to undergo chemo. (His parents were divorced...

Death and credit card death. [ 3 Answers ]

My father recently died leaving enough money to pay off most of his debts,but not all.I contacted those credit card companies that there no funds to pay and informed them of my father's death and that there were no assets to pay these debts.I soon received a letter (from american express) asking to...

Death and credit card death. [ 1 Answers ]

My father recently died leaving enough money to pay off most of his debts,but not all.I contacted those credit card companies that there no funds to pay and informed them of my father's death and that there were no assets to pay these debts.I soon received a letter (from american express) asking to...

View more questions Search