Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2008, 03:05 PM
    Pesky neighbor always filing complaints over nothing
    Ok, not necessarily "nothing" but still...

We don't have a dog. She does. A good friend of mine DOES have a dog and they both come over on occasion.

A few weeks ago, they were over and we were up a little late. We weren't being loud but we were up. When we would go out on the back deck, our neighbor that lives directly above us can apparently hear us VERY well... we basically have to be whispering. This was like 2 days after she moved in. Steve (my friends dog) must have smelled her dog or something and barked... like 3 barks total.

The next day, we were served with 3 complaints: Noise, having a dog, and another one (unrelated issue but was brought up since this all happened).

My brother, who lives with me, and I both filed responses stating our side of the story.

Then, just 2 nights ago, we all went out. We stayed out until the bar closed and came home around 2:30am. Yes, this was on a weeknight but big deal... I pay rent there for that house, I can come home whenever I want.

Steve, the dog, was with us. We came home, went on the back deck (to smoke a cigarette) and again, Steve barks... maybe 2 or 3 barks. We quiet him up and remain quiet until we all go to sleep.

Sure enough, last night, the Manager's assistant came down to tell us that there was another complaint filed against us for having a dog that barked all night and being too loud. Now, Steve, the dog, has been banned from coming over.

I think this is total crap. First of all, who the heck does she think she is? I have lived there WAY longer than she has anyway. And who the heck just files complaints? Can't she open her window and say "hey, you guys are being a little too loud. Do you think you can keep it down?" I mean, she filed a complaint her 2nd day there? Then, one night, Steve barks a couple times and she files more?

What would you do about a pesky neighbor like this? I don't want to get evicted because she apparently has some issues.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2008, 03:37 PM

You don't mention any ages but it sounds like a case of younger folks living near older folks. I think the barking dog is the biggest part of the issue. It probably awakens her and she gets ticked off.
    If there are rules in the lease or condo covenants, you will have to abide by the rules or laws which apply.
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2008, 09:24 AM

I am 30. My brother is 32. The neighbor is probably 36-38, best guess. We are not young partiers but we do like to go out and have fun. When we come home, we expect that we are allowed to go out on our own deck and relax.

I can understand that a barking dog would upset people but this isn't like an ongoing thing nor does it ever last longer than 3 or 4 actual barks.
    Xenosis Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2008, 12:15 AM
    I think this is just a problem with communication. Maybe you should go out and discuss this directly with the person who is complaining. Maybe explain your side of the story or ask why she filed the complaint for something so trivial. Have you tried going back to the manager? Also, there's a really simple solution to this- keep the dog inside while you're out on the deck. Either that, or put soundproof glass around your entire balcony. Otherwise, you're out of luck because you're technically required to follow the directions of your manager.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 12, 2008, 06:54 AM

I don't know, if my neighbor was out at 2:30 am on his deck ( and I would assume talking, laughing and having fun.

I may well call the police on them also if that was waking me up.
    cozyk Posts: 802, Reputation: 125

Oct 17, 2008, 09:49 PM

I think the problem is that Steve wakes her up in the middle of the night. Notice both these events were very late. She probably would not have mentioned it if it was during regular waking hours. That is the trouble with living so close to your neighbors. It calls for everyone to be respectful of each other. Peace and quite trumps loud and rowdy. It is like smoking. Smoke all you want, just don't let it come over to my personal air space.;)
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2008, 08:18 PM

When you rent an apartment you have to considerate to others and control the noise you make, especially past a certain hour.

If your are hanging out to the bar close on a weekend and then want to relax by sitting on your deck, your might be louder than you think. This is affecting the other person especially since most people work during the week, maybe the weekend is okay. If the problem occurs on the deck then maybe your should stay inside. Also, maybe the neighbor doesn't want to confront your about the problem and is avoiding a conflict or at least argument.

When you rent there are rules but when you own, you are free to do whatever you want, but again only if what your doing isn't affecting anyone else.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2008, 03:47 PM

I think your new neighbor was just trying to get some sleep. I side with her. I would not have spoken to the management but would have yelled down for you two to pipe down and put a muzzle on the dog at 2:30AM. Not everyone likes to listen to a party if they have to get some sleep to go to work the next day. I had a female neighbor who used to party extremely loud through the thin shared bedroom wall that abutted my bedroom wall. Well her partying would consist of extremely loud sexual gratification noises between her and her sexual compansion at 3AM. I ended up getting a very large hammer and a piece of wood and would take the hammer and pound the wood on the wall very loudly shouting at them to go do their fornicating elsewhere as I had to get up and go to work as I was a decent person and not some ho entertaining a john. They got the hint after a few times and took their party elsewhere.
    BrendaZ Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2008, 05:55 AM
    Unfortunately sound carries more at night and once a person wakes up it is often difficult to fall back asleep which means you may have robbed her of not just 1/2 hour of sleep but 4 hours.

If you haven't lived in an apartment or condo before with thin walls, it is similar to having someone sleeping on your sofa. Any noise you make after hours will wake them up. Learning this courtesy or skill will someday make you a better spouse or roommate.

You are fortunate that she only complained to the police and manager, the number one cause of murdering neighbors is over noise.

Good luck,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What to do with a pesky cat [ 3 Answers ]

I live in a mobile home and there are several cats around.There is one in particular that has made a hole in the siding larger and goes under the trailer. My dogs go berserk,we have our back yard fenced in,our dogs do not run loose at all. We put a small board over the hole to keep her out,and she...

Got another one of those pesky emails. [ 18 Answers ]

Would like comments on this, cites sources Subject: Taxes

Pesky crows [ 2 Answers ]

Dear People, how do I limit crows activity? They managed to scare all the other birds away and we no longer hear happy chirping... All answers are greatly appreciated. Helen

Pesky little fleas! [ 4 Answers ]

My poor baby has fleas, bad! We live in Texas and there is a HUGE flea problem. She had a visit with the vet today and he recommended Frontline (which they sold there at the office). I put it on her immediately when we got hime. She still seems to be itching but she has so much hair it's hard to...

How Do You Deal With Pesky 'Cold Callers'? [ 7 Answers ]

Found this on the net just had to share. The best way to get rid of pesky 'cold callers'. I’m Sorry, I Can’t Talk Right Now….I’m “Breastfeeding.” Who would have thought that breastfeeding would have so many advantages? And I’m not talking about the whole brain development thing. Yeah,...

View more questions Search