Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    e90_m3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2008, 06:28 PM
    Unjust mechanic's lien against me (CA)
    Can a contractor file a lien against me if my HOA is the one who hires him and they now have payment dispute?

My HOA hires this contractor to rebuild the front porch for ALL units within the community. Apparently they now have payment dispute and now the contractor sends me a letter of intent to file a lien. Can they do that, even though I didn't even see the contract (don't even know the name of the contractor) and really a bystander? I am in California
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Sep 25, 2008, 10:20 PM

The mechanic is filing the lien against the place where the work was done. They have a legal right to do that. The HOA owns part of your house, and the mechanic can file against that. The fact that it is going to affect you is unfortunate fallout of the situation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Charging lien vs child support lien [ 3 Answers ]

In 1997 when I divorced I was given the marital house to live in until our child turned 18. My ex's attorneys put a charging lien for fees on my (ex's interest) of the marital home. When our child turns 18 I was to sell the house and my ex had to pay me all that he owes me and we were to split any...

False Mechanic's lien filed [ 2 Answers ]

My husband hired someone to clean our house. We live in a small town - he saw a truck that looked professional took down the number, briefly talked to her and scheduled her to do a job for us. They showed up late and did a really poor job. They asked to be paid. I wrote the check - told them I...

Unjust Judgement [ 3 Answers ]

Hi guys, I would like to see if I can get some sort of advice before (if needed) getting a lawyer. This is the case. As an employee to a company I got sued for like 350 bucks that neither the company or myself should have paid to this out of the blue publication for some sort of...

Evicted with a Mechanic's Lien? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I'm back again. Question! Okay we moved into a home under the agreement that we do remodeling and repairs in exchange for rent and utilities. Homeowner's are our parents. In June 2007 a misunderstanding caused dad to give 3 day notice, we went to court, they had superior title, they won. ...

Quiet Titles, Mechanic's liens, bad contractor. [ 1 Answers ]

Background info - We built our house in the summer/fall of 2005. We moved in on November 4th of that year. Our builder, who we now know to be a con artist, went over by $40,000 but we only had a verbal contract with him and it was a cost-plus loan. His father in law was the lender for the...

View more questions Search