Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 25, 2008, 08:33 AM
    How to get my book published
    Hi Everyone,

I've written a children's book and I'd really like to try and get it published. I have no idea how to go about this, absolutely none.

If anyone has any helpful information on how to go about this, I would surely appreciate it because I'm at a loss. If it matters, I live in Canada. :)

I hope someone can help me.

Alty :)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 25, 2008, 08:38 AM

You can try to get a literay agent to look at it. Or submit it to various publishers.

You might also consider self publishing.
    Pets Expert

Sep 25, 2008, 08:46 AM

Self publishing? I'll have to look in to that. :)

How do I protect myself from someone "stealing" my book? Is there something I can do to register the book as mine before submitting it to publishers?

I don't know anything about this. I'm a bit wary about sending it out until I know that I'm protected.

Thanks for answering Scott. :)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 25, 2008, 08:50 AM

Canada has some different laws on copyright protections. I would suggest researching them and finding out how you can register. One trick is to mail a copy to yourself registered. This gives you dated proof of when you wrote it. Do NOT unseal the envelope. If you have to sue someone over copyrighjt infringement, you just bring the envelope to court and have the judge open it.
    Pets Expert

Sep 25, 2008, 08:56 AM

That's a great idea, I will definitely do that. The fear of someone copying my book is what's kept me from sending it to anyone.

Now I just have to find a legitimate publisher and I guess I'll see what happens. :)

Thanks again Scott.
    Pets Expert

Sep 26, 2008, 08:35 PM

Scott, I just wanted to let you know. I did what you suggested, sent a copy of the book to myself by registered letter.

Yesterday I contacted a publishing company in Virginia, sent them the first page of my book, they called today and are interested in seeing the entire book and talking about publishing it.

So, long story short, in a few months my book could be on a shelf near you. :)

Thanks for all the good advice, I'll keep updating on this thread, let everyone know how it's going. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do get published [ 4 Answers ]

I am almost done with a book of poetry I am compiling, and does any one have any information and/or tips on how to get published.

Lithograph published by J. Stiner 1876 [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a very nice lithograph titled "The School Examination" that was published by J. Stiner in 1876. I can't find anything on this publisher or the lithograph itself. I know some about prints and this one is masterfully done. Executed in 1876. Please help with any information.

Getting published?Where to next. [ 2 Answers ]

Hey there, I have written a couple of children's books as well as a novel and was wondering what to do now? Do I approach publishing companies with the books (which are not as yet books so to speak just printed ideas) do I need to format them in a specific way? Also do I need the illustrations...

Centering a Golive web site when published [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I am building a website in Adobe Golive. The website, with the exception of the index page, is constructed of frames: top and bottom. The top frame is 640x480 pixels, and the navigational frame on the bottom is 60 pixels with links hitting the top main frame. I have two questions: How...

View more questions Search