Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2006, 08:00 PM
    Outlook Express
    I am using Windows 98 Second Edition and using Outlook Express for I mail. Tonight my e-mail did not download and I got the following error message. Just would like to know if someone can tell me what the message means and how to remedy the problem. The eroor message is;

"Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'postoffice.worldnet.att.net', Server: 'postoffice.worldnet.att.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F"
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

May 20, 2006, 08:31 PM
    Hard to tell... based on this article the cause could range from wrong configuration to corrupt Outlook Express.

How to deal with Outlook Express error 0x800ccc0f

If it hasn't happened before and you're sure you haven't changed your configs then it might be a transient issue. Otherwise, I'd follow the recommendation outlined in the Microsoft KB linked to from above and here:

How to troubleshoot error messages that you receive when try to send and receive e-mail in Outlook and in Outlook Express

Goodluck

Casey
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2006, 08:35 PM
    Thanks for the fast response. This did happen a few weeks ago and I did nothing but re-boot to clear up the problem. I re-booted this time and it didn't change anything. So I will use you two sites to see if I can learn anything. Thanks again
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

May 21, 2006, 06:07 AM
    I was thinking about this some more and one thing you can do to rule in or out your ISP as a source of the problem is to run two parallel clients with the option to leave your mail on the server using POP. You can run something like thunderbird. If you experience the problem with both clients then chances are somewhere past your machine up to your mail server is the problem.

Normally you wouldn't run two clients since both clients but in this case I would definitely consider it for troubleshooting purposes.

Casey
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2006, 07:30 AM
    Hi,
    I also use Win98SE with Outlook Express.
    I highly suggest calling your ISP HelpDesk, might have a little time wait on the phone to speak with someone, but they can go through your OE configurations with you, over the phone; checking each setting to see if anything had changed.
    There is also the possibility there is an ISP server problem. But, one wouldn't know that unless they call, giving the error message.
    The above might save you some time, trying to find the problem by yourself.
    Just a suggestion. I do wish you the best of luck.
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2006, 10:08 PM
    Since my first post about the E-mail problem I have discovered that I can send e-mail via my Outlook Express but as soon and it has finished the send part I get the error message I talked about and it disconnects. Any other thoughts you might have after reading this I would appreciate... Thanks
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2006, 07:58 AM
    Have you call your ISP HelpDesk and told them about the error message yet?
    They can help.
    One of my own issues was that I could not send any email from my Outlook Express to any Yahoo email addresses... kept coming back with "delivery failure; after trying 32 hours"...
    Took the ISP Engineers 2 weeks to figure out the problem, but they did. Resolution was to change the Outgoing Mail configuration to something else, different that the Incoming Mail.
    Call them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outlook Express [ 3 Answers ]

I'm running XP on my home computer. Since one of my sons "tweaked something" I can see messages (properties show full message is there) in the in box but the preview pane is empty. Similarly if you open the message the main message box is empty. If you print the e mail it shows attachments present...

Outlook Express for XP/How to set something [ 4 Answers ]

How do you set outlook so that when you highlight and e-mail it doesn't automatically open an attachment, for security purposes?

Outlook express [ 13 Answers ]

hi pals i have installed the outlook express now it asks me the incomming server and outgoing server if i want to access my yahoo or gmail mails then what is my pop server and smtp server?? :confused:

Outlook express 6 [ 2 Answers ]

How can I use my outlook properly, I can't receive, can't send what is happening... please help me... :(

Outlook Express 6.0 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi- I just downloaded Outlook express 6.0--When I try to sign in, it asked for my password which I must have had in Outlook Express 5--but I can't remember it--How do I find out what my pasword is--can't find anything on OE about doing this--Thank u very much

View more questions Search