Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angelae02 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2008, 07:40 PM
    How do you live after paying child support from your ssi benefits?
    I am trying to help my son, we live in KY and He really needs all the help he can get.. He pays 3/4 of his SSI ck every month in child support.
    I would like to find out if this is really legal.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Sep 24, 2008, 08:01 PM

If that is the amount he was ordered to pay then yes he has to pay it. Was the order done before or after he got on SSI? If it was before and his SSI is significantly less than he was making he can apply for a modification unless again he is only ordered to pay the minimum it can't be any lower than tha. So really no one can give you a clean cut answer until we know a little more about the situation.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 24, 2008, 09:21 PM

Child support is or should be based on a percent of the income. If child support was based on prevoius earnings, they need to go back to court to get it reset.
    Also is this just current child support or is it also back support
    fjsmith81 Posts: 122, Reputation: 11

Sep 24, 2008, 09:26 PM

I don't know, I heard that once a child support order is set the only modifications that can be made to it is an increase, but that's in the state of Illinois. My sister just got an order to receive 400 dollars a month, and they told her that that is the set minimum and even if he looses his job he still has to pay the 400.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2008, 06:29 AM

If proper documentation is presented to the Judge through a Modification Motion for Reduction of Child Support, the monthly support should be allowed to be reduced per the Order of the Court. The amount can be increased or decreased according to the documentation presented in Court.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2008, 06:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fjsmith81 View Post
    I don't know, I heard that once a child support order is set the only modifications that can be made to it is an increase, but that's in the state of illinois. My sister just got an order to receive 400 dollars a month, and they told her that that is the set minimum and even if he looses his job he still has to pay the 400.

It's not true that child support can only be increased, not decreased, including in the State of Illinois. I don't know who told you that but I certainly hope it wasn't an Attorney.

It can be changed if there are sufficiently changed circumstances.

And, yes, all States have minimums. The OP's son may be paying the minimum OR there may be changed circumstances and he hasn't filed for a reduction.
    fjsmith81 Posts: 122, Reputation: 11

Sep 25, 2008, 07:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    It's not true that child support can only be increased, not decreased, including in the State of Illinois. I don't know who told you that but I certainly hope it wasn't an Attorney.

It can be changed if there are sufficiently changed circumstances.

And, yes, all States have minimums. The OP's son may be paying the minimum OR there may be changed circumstances and he hasn't filed for a reduction.
    This is what the judge told my sister. I don't know if that pertained specifically to my sister's case, but I know no matter what her child support will never decrease.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2008, 08:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fjsmith81 View Post
    This is what the judge told my sister. I don't know if that pertained specifically to my sister's case, but I know no matter what her child support will never decrease.

If your sister is receiving the minimum child support in Illinois, which it appears she is, of course it will never decrease - not unless the Law is changed.

I'm sure you realize that this does not mean no one's child support can be decreased - just those receiving the minimum.

I think we're saying the same thing, more or less, but from different angles.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

SSI benefits and Child Support for Adult Child. [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know if a parent can still be obligated to pay child support to a severely disabled adult child for the life of the child? (even if the child is receiving state benefits) we are in Cali...

Ex-Wife not paying child support of seeing the child [ 10 Answers ]

We just recently got the divorce final my I got custody and she is suppose to have visitation every other weekend she will pick her up Friday and drop her off Saturday. She was suppose to take her for the whole month of June and July but said she cannot because she has no one to watch her. She...

Paying Child Support to mom who abandoned child [ 5 Answers ]

I'll try to be brief... My 17 year old daughter chose to live with her mom 100% of the time a year and a half ago. My ex drug me through the court system fighting for an increase in my child suport even though I was still paying her (through automatic deduction from my pay check) for my daughter...

Paying child support [ 3 Answers ]

In the state of Illinois if you become unemployed with no income. What is the minimum amount of child support that you are required to pay according to Illinois state child support statute and where can this information be obtained. ( child support on one child and no marriage involved).

View more questions Search