Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    561packrat Posts: 80, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2008, 12:03 PM
    Adequate a/c unit for garage apt
    I'm converting an 80 year old detached garage into an efficiency apt. it's approximately 400 sq. ft. 11 ft. ceiling. It will be basically one big room plus bathroom. This is in South Florida with high humidity and I have been told that an over capacity a/c unit may not cycle often enough to remove the moisture in the air. The location of the unit will be wall mounted at a centerline height of 8'. I ran two separate cables to this spot so I can utilize either 110V 20AMP or 220 30 AMP .What would you recommend as to: BTU capacity, 110 vs. 220, or other factors I should consider? Thank you
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Sep 24, 2008, 01:13 PM
    You really need to do a manual J. Window size and type along with wall and floor construction are just a few things to consider when size is a concern. 120/240 no difference with a unit that will be so small.

Just a guess

8,000 to 12,000 BTU mounted midway up wall with discharge air vanes pointed towards ceiling allowing the cold air to drift down. Smaller is better for humidity removal. The right size unit will run 20 out of 24 hours per day and act like a big dehumidifier.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Possibility to install 4 Ton A/C unit in Garage? [ 4 Answers ]

Ok - I have a situation where I live in a community of side by side 2-story townhomes and noise is a major concern for our HOA. We've been allowed to explore A/C options because last year we had many weeks over 100 degrees... While an A/C unit would be noisy to the rooms above the garage it...

Before I can evict I need to give adequate notice [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all I posted a month back https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/real-estate-law/unhappy-tenant-178435.html#post854526 And this month my tenant has decided to put the rent money in a savings account, not my account, until the dryer is fixed, he cannot do this legally. We have gone back and forth...

Wall mounted A/C unit in Garage? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a three-stall garage in my Mesa Arizona home. I'd like to add a wall and make a 10'x20' hobby room and leave the remaining 20'x20' garage space. Since the temperature in my garage can reach 120 degrees in the summer, I'll need to air condition the new room. There are no windows in the...

Adequate testing? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello please I need an answer urgently... I had unprotected sex a few times (the first time was not more than a year ago).. cause the partners seemed so sure they're clean.. (I don't do this again.. never) but I'm afraid I catched some STD (even though there's no apparent sign.. im still anxious...

Hot Cold Mix not adequate [ 2 Answers ]

Second question in a day... sorry, but I have been wondering about this for some time. My house is 3 years old, and has Delta fixtures in the showers. I am not sure how to properly say this so, here goes. It's one of those typical entry level home, builder installed things where there is only one...

View more questions Search