Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sonja Newton Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2008, 10:14 AM
    celing light/fan goes off and on randomly
    I have a hampton lighted ceiling fan, model # 740154. Both the fan and light will go on and off at radom. I can use only the remote for operation. I will turn the light off at night and wake up in the morning and its on. Or I will be sitting there in the evening and the fan will come on by itself. It does not have pull chains. This is very frusterating,not to mention the extra electricity use is expensive and unnecessary. Has anyone out there had this problem?
    eriknugent Posts: 90, Reputation: -5

Sep 21, 2008, 10:23 AM

Sounds like either remote or reciver in the fan are faulty
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Sep 21, 2008, 10:50 AM
    Silly question, are you in a condo or really tight neighborhood??
    Rarely will anyone change the default DIP switch settings on the remote and receiver. If your next door neighbor has even a similar fan that uses the same type of remote it can trigger your fan.

PS, I would not worry about the "expense" of the fan or light being on for a short time. It's nothing you'll EVER feel in your bill.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2008, 09:47 PM

I agree with Stan. Try changing the dip switches. See: Ceiling fan remote controls - help and FAQ- Ceiling Fans N More

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blower comes on Randomly [ 1 Answers ]

I have a GMP Series Gas Furnace heating and central AC unit. I noticed a few months back the blower comes on randomly even if the thermostat is off. I removed the thermostat thinking it was defective. The thermostat wiring block was not touched. The blower still comes on. It seems like the unit is...

Halsey celing fan and light remote [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. I am having trouble with my remote control receiver. The remote light comes on when a button is pressed and it did work a few weeks ago. The light or fan will not come on when the remote is tried. The light and fan don't work with the pull chains either. The only way it seems to work is to...

Celing Fan Light Switch - 2 Leads [ 1 Answers ]

How do I change the switch on my Hunter fan light? It's not an old unit, but the chain sticks and refuses to release when you pull on it. I bought a replacement switch from Hunter, without instructions. The old switch has two black wires going into the plastic and metal case, with no visible means...

Pilot light goes out randomly [ 5 Answers ]

My pilot light keeps going out on my Carrier 58GP100BA furnace. It's about 10-12 years old. Last year I had the furnace tech out to clean and check my furnace before winter. He cleaned everything, replaced the thermocouple and everything seemed to be working okay. For the next 2-3 weeks the...

PC Randomly Shuts Down... [ 22 Answers ]

Components: Thermaltake Shark Aluminium Full Tower Asus A8N-E nForce4 Ultra (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard Corsair 2GB DDR TwinX (2x1GB) XFX GeForce 7800GT Extreme Edition 256MB GDDR3 VIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 10 NCQ 300GB 6V300F0 SATA-II 16MB Cache...

View more questions Search