Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WCR Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2008, 07:10 AM
    Why am I not pregnant yet?
    Hi, I'm 26 and I've been married a year and a half now.. There's no history of anyone in my family having difficulty conceiving.. I feel like my husband blames me indirectly although he denies it every time.. he says things like "you should exercise more, and take care of your body" etc... I've checked with my doctor a couple of times and there's nothing wrong.. My husband dosen't want to admit that MAYBE it could be him.. he doesn't want to check or do anything about it.. Thing is I heard that his brother has low sperm count and it took him 12 years to conceive..

Do I need more exercise? Is that a fact? :confused:
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2008, 07:53 AM

You should always take care of yourself - trying to conceive or not.

Have you started taking prenatal vitamins? And how long have you tried? It can take healthy couples a while to conceive. If you haven't been able to conceive after a year - then your doctor will step in and see if a problem can be identified.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2008, 10:27 AM
    Exercise is a good thing for your overall health, but it won't necessarily help you to get pregnant. If you have been actively trying for over a year, as NowWhat suggested, check with your doctor about starting some initial testing.

However, it is important that your husband have some testing done as well as it is close to half of the time that the difficulty in conceiving is due to a male factor or a combination of both male and female issues. Too often people think of it as a female issue, but it does take two after all and both need to be putting forth the best product that they can.

There are things you both can be doing to insure you are in the best health to conceive and have a healthy pregnancy. If diet is less than great, he would also benefit from taking a good multivitamin as deficiencies can cause sperm to be less than optimum. He would benefit from regular exercise and any other lifestyle changes such as not smoking (if that is an issue).
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2008, 10:57 AM

He is blaming you, although he may not realize how bad it can feel to be blamed for something like that. Talk to him about how it makes you feel for him to say that. If he's indifferent or unresponsive, you have a more important problem than not being able to conceive. Possibly, he can't bear the thought of admitting he's not completely virile. But you've been checked twice and it's definitely his turn.

About 40% of cases of infertility are because of problems in the woman, another 40% in the man (i.e. equally likely), and 20% no one knows why. So there's no reason to assume that you are the one with the problem, especially with his family history. But since you know what it feels like to be blamed, try not to turn it into a counter blame. If you can cultivate a better sense that you two are in this together, you'll both be happier. But if he's resistant to that kind of partnership thinking, I would frankly think twice about having a baby with him at all. If the baby isn't perfect every second, that's going to be your fault too.

I doubt exercise is the problem unless you are unusually overweight. I'm assuming your doctor would have identified any obvious problems. Is the doctor an ob gyn?
    april k Posts: 29, Reputation: 3

Sep 21, 2008, 02:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by WCR View Post
    Hi, I'm 26 and i've been married a year and a half now.. There's no history of anyone in my family having difficulty conceiving..I feel like my husband blames me indirectly although he denies it everytime.. he says things like "you should exercise more, and take care of your body" etc...I've checked with my doctor a couple of times and there's nothing wrong.. My husband dosen't wanna admit that MAYBE it could be him.. he dosent wanna check or do anything about it.. Thing is i heard that his brother has low sperm count and it took him 12 years to conceive..

do i need more exercise? is that a fact? :confused:
    Well, this comes up in the overweight section, so, are you overweight? Losing 5% of your weight (if you are overweight) can really help your chances of getting pregnant. Check out Excess Weight Gain, Obesity – Cause of Heart Disease, Cardiovascular Disease, Hypertension and more....

And of course, your husband cd get checked out. No man likes that, it's just part of life! My sister's husband has low motility of his sperm, but they've still got 2 beautiful kids! My sister just got more aggressive and tracked her ovulation. Check out this book: Take charge of your fertility. I don't know the author, just look it up on Amazon.

April K
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Sep 24, 2008, 07:35 PM

You might want to experiment with different conception positions during intercourse. In order to become pregnant, your partner must deposit his sperm as close as possible to your cervix. Certain positions will allow this to happen more easily. Avoid having sex while standing, sitting, or with you on top, as this can cause semen to leak out of your body. Instead, try the missionary position, which allows for deeper penetration. Rear entry intercourse is also effective, as it allows your partner to deposit semen closer to your cervix. To keep any extra semen from leaking out of you, try elevating your hips for fifteen minutes or so after your have sex.

Thirdly, you have to eat right.Eating right plays an important role in your body's fertility. A balanced diet helps to regulate hormones and nourish your reproductive system. A good diet also helps you to maintain a healthy weight, which can greatly impact fertility. Women who are underweight or overweight may have a harder time becoming pregnant because body fat levels impact the production of sex hormones.

It is especially important to include certain vitamins and minerals in your diet. Try to include:
    Vitamin C and Antioxidants: these vitamins prevent sperm defects and boost sperm motility. They also reduce stress on your eggs and reproductive organs.
    Zinc: zinc deficiencies have been linked with reduced testosterone and semen levels.
    Calcium and Vitamin D: A daily, dose of these nutrients have been shown to help increase male fertility.

Things to avoid are:
    Alcohol: alcohol can reduce your fertility levels by up to 50%. It can also decrease sperm count and increase the production of abnormal sperm.
    Caffeine: caffeine, found in coffee, teas, cola, and chocolate, has been proven to reduce both male and female fertility levels.
    Xenoestrogens: xenoestrogens are estrogens found in environmental chemicals and pesticides. Produce and other foods can have high levels of xenoestrogens, which, if ingested, may disturb your balance of hormones. Imbalaced hormones are often the cause of fertility issues.
    Also smoking can delay it because of chemicals in cigarettees.

Lastly, exercise can also be a good natural fertility treatment. When combined with a balanced and nutritious diet, exercise can help you to maintain a healthy body weight. Aerobic workouts like walking, swimming, and cycling is good.

Please note even if you try all of these things it might be no positive outcome. It took me and my fiancé over a year to get pregnant and for some women it takes that much time or longer. If you get no results within a year, its time to see a doctor. Since you already saw one and he hasn't he isn't helping the problem. As mention earlier he might not want to realize he might have a problem and men reacted differently to it and for some it makes them feel less then a man.Stress can also work as a barrier, so relax and maybe once this happens, your be surpise on what can happen. I wish both of your luck in concieving and hope he stop being stubborn and get himself check out.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2008, 08:40 PM

How long have you been trying? It takes a year for 85 percent of couples to conceive. Some two years or more. Obviously it is not happening right away because it is not the right time..

Oh and stress , etc... can actually delay pregnancy. So stop getting so stressed out about it and who cares what your husband thinks or what you think your husband thinks.

Is there communication and honest communication between the two of you because if there is then there will be lots of patience and understanding. Do not rush this and you have plenty of time to become a mother one day.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

4 weeks pregnant confirmed but not feeling pregnant [ 22 Answers ]

I'm 4 weeks pregnant started bleeding yesterday but it stopping now the problem is I'm not feeling any symptoms but then again I'm only 4 weeks are they to start around 10 weeks before my mood was at a high like I've never fely before my appetite has gone over the last few days but that might be...

I've been pregnant twice and miscarried both times. Could I be pregnant again? [ 7 Answers ]

Ok so here's the deal... Last November I knew something was off... it was early Jan when I realized I was three weeks late... I went to a clinic and found out I was pregnant. About a week and a half later I miscarried. In April I started my period and it was not normal... and then it seemed to keep...

Pregnant agen or still pregnant? [ 4 Answers ]

Please help! Had a misscariage 4 weeks ago and now have a positive pregnancy test result, my belly feels bloated and breasts feel tender all the pregnant symptoms but if I was less than four weeks would I be getting these feelings or is it possible I didn't have a misscaraig and am still...

Could I be pregnant? [ 5 Answers ]

I have been on birth control for almost a year now. Since I have been on it, my boyfriend has came inside me. About 3 weeks ago, we had sex and I had taken out my birth control ring. He came inside me like usual, only this time.. NO birth control! Well, he freaked out and asked me to put the ring...

How can I get pregnant? [ 4 Answers ]

I've been with my boyfriend for over two years. We have been trying to have a baby an still nothing. We have tried everything nothing has worked.. is there some other way I can get pregnant?

View more questions Search