Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Carmen Posts: 62, Reputation: 1
    -

Sep 18, 2008, 10:16 AM
    Can an Employer ask how much I used to make?
    I went for an interview (Bed Bath & Beyond) as a District Manager and upon conclusion of the interview, the person interviewing ask me if I could bring a copy of my last 2 paystubs on my 2nd interview so they can easily know how much to offer me, is this ethical? I have done so many interviews before, I was never ask to bring a paystub until now.
    Has anyone here had the same experience as I did? Appreciate your feedback and advise. Thanks!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2008, 02:17 PM

Never had this happen to me before as I was only asked verbally about previous salary. I would tell them in all due respect that you made such and such verbally. That's getting kind of pushy and borderline unethical to ask for proof in their hot little hand if you ask me.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 20, 2008, 02:21 PM

Part of this is of course it is a common asked question, what is your earnings at current and pasts jobs. And of course if you did a application you would have already answered it.
    So if you are making a proper income for you position, what is the real issue, this does mean they are ready to make you an offer. And had they merely done a background check on your work, they would have asked and been told this anyway.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What move should I make? Or should I even make one? [ 9 Answers ]

I am a high school student. I play on our girl's varsity basketball team, and I have a bit of an interest/crush on a guy from the guy's team. Our practice and game times are normally in tandem. I see him there and occaisonally in school. Recently, I admitted my interest to a friend, and she said,...

What to ask an employer in an interview. [ 11 Answers ]

Hi everyone. I have a phone interview scheduled next week. I have searched topics on this, but only found questions such as "what kind of questions to employers ask potential employees in an interview". Now I may have missed something; however, I'm at work so have to keep this on the down low...

Employer Tax? [ 1 Answers ]

I am an H1B Visa holder and I am trying to find out, besides my tax being deducted by my employer, does he pay any additional taxes with respect to my employment. He is telling me that he pays almost 10% of my hourly rate as employer tax? Is this true?

Does anyone know if you can borrow against a 401k if the employer does't make loans [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know if you can borrow against a 401k from anyone if the employer does not make loans against a 401k

View more questions Search