Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lago35 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2008, 07:09 PM
    Boat conversion
    Can anyone tell me how to convert a freshwater boat to a saltwater boat? Or does it really matter?
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Sep 17, 2008, 08:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lago35
    Can anyone tell me how to convert a freshwater boat to a saltwater boat? Or does it really matter?
    There is no conversion, only the type of water you put your boat into changes.
    What you do to your boat once out of the water changes quite a bit: You need to thoroughly flush the engine's cooling system to make certain the salt residue is cleaned out so the internal components don't corrode. Extra care needs to be given to the entire boat, for that matter, including keeping the electronic stuff clean and free from corrosion.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Sep 17, 2008, 09:00 PM
    Hey Capt, missed you my friend, how have you been?

Stringer
    boatwoman Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2008, 08:32 PM

THERE IS a CONVERSION that can be done. It's called a closed cooling system. (not for an outboard but for an I/O.) Basically the engine water jacket (block)is filled with antifreeze and raw water is drawn up from the ocean through a pump to a heat exchanger to cool off the antifreeze). The block itself though is never exposed to salt water but the risers and exhaust system still gets exposed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pontoon boat [ 2 Answers ]

We have a pontoon boat and we had it out a few days ago with no problemd but the next day it hesitated to start and then died. We thought it was the battery but the next day the motor went up with no problems so we decided to go for a ride when we put the key in the same thing happened nothing like...

Blonde in a Boat [ 5 Answers ]

There was a blonde driving down the road one day. She glanced to her right and noticed another blonde sitting in a nearby field, rowing a boat with no water in sight. The blonde angrily pulled her car over and yelled at the rowing blonde, “What do you think you're doing? It's things like this...

Boat motor [ 7 Answers ]

Old boat motor only runs if I spray starting fluid in it. Cleaned carb and new gas and plugs. Any ideas?

Boat Bearings [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone I have been struggling with this question and I was wondering if you could help please. A boat heads on a bearing of 023 from port A to Port B, which is 120nm away. It then heads on a bearing of 106 to port C, which is 130 nm from port A.? 1 Find the size of angle ACB? 2. THe...

My boat and dock where destroyed by neighbors broken loose boat during hurricane [ 3 Answers ]

As I said above, during hurricane Wilma my neighbors boat broke loose from its mooring and floated down to my dock, two homes away, and proceeded to smash my boat and dock until the storm was over. My dock was destroyed and my boat was knocked off the lift and sank, Do I have any recourse, as my...

View more questions Search