Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    doubleoo7 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2008, 09:41 AM
    Replacing a fluorescent light with recess lights
    I'm looking to replace my old ceiling fluorescent light with four recess lights. The current light is controlled by one switch and I'd like to control all four replacements lights with the same switch. Can you please advise me how to run the wires and how to connect them from one master switch to four replacement recess lights?

Thanks,

doubleoo7
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 17, 2008, 10:52 AM
    Recessed ceiling, what kind of material. Your wirng will be simple since you can use the same switch already in place to supply power to the fixtures. You current wiring at the fixture is likely one black, one white and one green, right?
    doubleoo7 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2008, 08:08 AM
    I am looking to install two recessed lights where I currently have one incandescent light.
    I need to know if I can just connect an additional black, white, and green wire from the old light and run it to the second new light?
    Thanks,

doubleoo7
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 19, 2008, 11:01 AM
    We you can do that but be sure the breaker has been flipped. "fluorescent light with four recess lights" your situation seems to have changed.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2008, 12:53 PM
    If there are a couple of conduits or cables in existing box, leave box in place, maybe install a smoke detector their, they also make smooth round screwless plastic cover that are not too unsightly.
    From existing box connect to first light, first light to second light, and so on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Q's About Compact Fluorescent Recess Lighting [ 9 Answers ]

I have a couple q's about some of the compact fluorescent recess lights I've been looking at from Halo. I'm planing out some lighting for the front of my garage and I will be using these in the soffits in front of the garage door for accent lighting/wall wash. I'm curious what the difference is...

Hanging Fluorescent lights [ 3 Answers ]

I purchased (6) 4'x1' t8 fluorescent lights for an unfinished storage room. My questions is am I best installing these lights directly parallel to the floor joists, or perpendicular to the joists. In my particular application I would prefer to hang the lights parallel to the joists. My...

Fluorescent and incandescent recess lights [ 1 Answers ]

I have 4 recess fluorescent lights controlled with 2 3-way switches. Can I add a incandescent recess light to this circuit? Thanks

Spacing of Recess Light [ 2 Answers ]

I am installing recess lights in my living room (20' x 17'). The old ceiling has been demolished, so the installation is relatively easy. My question is: How far apart should I space the lights to have adequate general purpose lighting in the room?

View more questions Search