Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jmm610 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2008, 05:40 PM
    Does making payments to collection agency stop legal action
    I have just been contacted by a collection agency on a past bill. I have informed them I am willing to make a payment arrangement but cannot meet what they want. They contacted me over thirty days ago but I just received a letter stating there what I was in collection for with them. I have spoken to them three times since the first contact. When I ask the agent for my account number and there address to send sometime of payment. She got angry with me because I could not set up an arrangement for the end of September. I was look at the date of October 2. I have tried calling two more times to have an automatic payment sent them them once a month but now no one will call me.

From the first phone call. The agent mentioned going straight to legal action. I had to ask her for the name of the company she was calling from she did not give me any account information at that time just her phone number to call.

If I send them money with out a "payment arrangement" in place can they still take legal action? Does which state you live in make a difference? If they keep refusing my calls or refuse to take my payment does that change anything?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 16, 2008, 05:46 PM
    Merely making payments if it is not a payment arrangement in writing, will not stop legal action, If it is not in writing, they will merely deny it perhaps and still do legal action

No they may refuse any payment that is not either payment in full or to the amount they requested.

You do have certain rights under the Fair Debt collection act, such as they are to contact you in writing after the first phone call, you have the right to ask for their mailing address and to write them not to contact you further by phone or to even a request just not to contact you further.
    ** then they can onlycontact you when they are ready to sue.

Don't ever, every do a automatic withdrawal and don't ever let them know your bank account numbers, if you tell them to take 100 dollars, they may just go and take 1000 dollars
    CESElizabeth Posts: 81, Reputation: 7

Sep 16, 2008, 11:12 PM
    Go to the website for Americans for Fairness in lending for much more info:

Sometimes some lenders will sue, but often they will just turn the debt over to a collection agency. Sometimes the debt collection agency may sue, but in some states collection agencies can't sue people – only the lender can. In all situations, defending a collection suit in front of a judge is far better than the consequences to you and your family of disruptive and abusive telephone calls.
    Another important thing to keep in mind is what is called “a statute of limitations” on your debt. If the lender or debtor does not sue you within a specified period, they lose their right to ever sue you again. This is usually a period of several years, normally counted from the date of the last payment you made. As a result, debt collectors will pressure you to make a partial payment—even a very small one—because this will extend the statue of limitations further in time. Therefore, it may be a mistake to make a partial payment when pressured by a debt collector after years of not paying, because in some states this partial payment starts the statute of limitations running all over again.

Read more there, Frankie

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm making payments, can collection agency still garnish wages? [ 1 Answers ]

We've had a medical bill go to collections. I can't afford the amount of payment the agency is requesting, but I am making what I guaranteed and a bit more when I can. Today we received a notice that if it wasn't paid in full in 10 days of the notice it would go to court for garnishment. Can they...

How can I make payments and not be turned into collection agency? [ 4 Answers ]

I recently had to break Florida lease to move back to Wisconsin because of some health issues. The landlord wants a set amount to satisfy the lease and is threatening if not paid in full to turn it over to a collection agency. If I make some kind of payment per month that I can afford, can she...

Making payments before Collection Agency [ 5 Answers ]

I'll try to make this brief since it's a friend & I don't have all the info exactly. Basically, there were 2 sisters & 1 brother. Brother lived with mother last few years of her life (I think) and had her change her will at a point in time when she was not all there. Changed the will to he got...

Collection Agency refusing payments in IL. [ 12 Answers ]

I have a 508.00 bill with my ob/gyn from the delivery of my baby (3rd) in April. Since I pay 1k a month for childcare now and didn't have paid maternity leave other than the 2 weeks of vacation/sick time. Money has been extremely extremely tight and I have not had an extra 508.00 to pay it off...

View more questions Search